2006 predictions thread

Rizzo

Whats in store for 2006? I'm talking about rumors, predictions, and whatever you think could head our way based on your assumptions, guesses, or insider infomation. I thought it being almost years end that this thread was appropriate. Have at it...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I were to guess, I would say:

- A new Federal courthouse will be announced this year. I'm basing this on:

a BOOM in new courthouses around the country, ours is overcrowded, and we're due. I don't know where, but I'm guessing it won't be at the current location. My guess is just North of the Ford Museum on the riverfront.

- Another new hotel will be announced, if Devos Place bookings continue to soar and business travel keeps increasing as it has been, and with downtown hotel occupancy passing the 60% mark.

- The new Macatawa Building will be unveiled, 10 stories, corner of Louis and Ottawa, and based on the architecture of their branches and Holland HQ, it will look something like 100 E Wisconsin in Milwaukee (smaller scale):

builder4.jpg

That last part I'm just making up :D Actually, all of it is speculation.

Dad, where did you get the 10 stories from with the Macatawa? Is that your number or did you base that from research?

heres your answer:

That last part I'm just making up :D Actually, all of it is speculation.

As for the courthouse comment, of the samples there, one that I think has an architectural style that would fit Grand Rapids perfectly is the Hall County, GA courthouse. Especially if they put it across the river near the Ford Museum.

For predictions for 2006?

I think we will start to hear rumors of a performance theatre somewhere south of the VAA, and final concrete drawings by the end of the year.

Various ideas for a retail downtown mall will appear, and garner serious consideration.

A Major office building will be proposed in the summer, with the arrival of one of GR's largest corporations moving DT. Firms from Detroit and Chicago begin battling it out over who will have the Gem of the City, and finally a GR architect will get the winning bid, building begins 6 months later and is finished by 2010.

Meijer will be purchased in the first half of 2006, more executives will leave and then the purchase will be announced. Ziggarelli left for more reasons then family, and thats my gut instinct.

Longer Term:

The success of Oklahoma City's hosting of the New Orleans Hornets sparks new interest by professional teams in Grand Rapids, Louisville, and other smaller markets that might have larger fanbases for their sport. I think Grand Rapids gets its own professional team (through a move from a struggling market), and by 2008 begins playing in an expanded VAA.

What to expect in 2006:

The major exterior work of the Marriot, and Riverhouse should be nearing completion, both looking nearly complete, or finished on the outside with two towers hugging the skyline like two giant bookends.

Dad, where did you get the 10 stories from with the Macatawa? Is that your number or did you base that from research?

If you call this quote from fluffy on an old thread "research" :D

My wife works there and they plan on building a 10-story building with Mortgage, Trust, Corporate offices and a branch. It is yet to be determined who will fill the other 9 floors.

Your ideas are better than mine, snoogit ;) And your comment about Ziggarelli I think is right on. I'm sure there were a lot of raised eyebrows around town when that news hit the air.

No rumors to report that haven't already been discussed on this forum. But as far as predictions:

-A new hotel will be announced for either the Olds Manor site, or Michigan hill development.

-An announcement for a Performing Arts Center on the Amway property at the SW corner of Monroe Ave and Fulton.

-A new full service pharmacy will be announced for the City Center lot that Second Story is proposing. Hopefully not a drive thru.

That's all I can come up with right now, kind of running low on imagination for a Monday morning.

Some of yours above sound like wish-lists so heres mine:

-The lot south of Fulton on the Grand is going to be developed into the Grand Rapids' Center for Performing Arts. The property will also include lofts, retail, and a botique hotel. Development is dubed Excitment on Grand Fulton.

-A memorial to honor Rosa Parks, MLK Jr., and all thoes who have suffered, risen, and overcome to bring change will be errected on the pedestrian bridge connecting Steelcase Ballroom and The G.R Ford Prez Museum. The design would include a 150 foot stream of water surrounded by small fountains.

^Don't they have to develope within two years or so? Wasnt that in the agreement with the city?

Here were the details of the option he bought from the city (from an old thread article):

"According to the agreement, if the transaction were to close by Jan. 1, 2006, the sale price would be $498,818, or $43.91 per square foot for the 11,360-square-foot piece of property. The sale price would be $513,813 ($45.23/sq. ft.) if closed by Jan. 1, 2007, and would be $529,262 ($46.59/sq. ft.) if closed by the last day of the option period.

The agreement also calls for the development to be "substantially completed" within three years of closing."

Jan 1st, 2006 is coming up soon.

I say most ideal because I'm assuming the major front for the project would be Alticor, which I believe is the company that owns the Fulton lot. My premis is, why go out and buy a lot when you already have one.

I dunno, but it would make a grown man cry to see such lovely potential riverfront property never get used properly, you put an upscale mall there and you could have the river lined with restaurants and outdoor seating along the river. Truly spectacular, if a theatre went in, the river would probably be lined with a parking lot :(

I dunno, but it would make a grown man cry to see such lovely potential riverfront property never get used properly, you put an upscale mall there and you could have the river lined with restaurants and outdoor seating along the river. Truly spectacular, if a theatre went in, the river would probably be lined with a parking lot :(

I understand where you're coming from, Snoogit, and agree 100%. But Rizzo is thinking like I am, that Amway will push to use that land for a Performing Arts Center. That has seemed to be the pattern for their developments, anyways.

Performing Arts Centers can be spectacular pieces of architecture on waterfronts--think Sydney Opera House, for example. Parking could go underground. I agree that the river along that stretch definitely needs to be better-utilized and made accessible to the public. Maybe restaurants/cafes could be incorporated into the plans for a performing arts center...people gotta eat after a show! :)

I heard, and haven't seen here (although i've been very busy and haven't been keeping up lately), that the lot by VAA next to the Bank of Holland and across from McFaddens (on Ionia) is going to be turned into retail w/lofts above this comming year? Anyone have anything on this project?

I heard, and haven't seen here (although i've been very busy and haven't been keeping up lately), that the lot by VAA next to the Bank of Holland and across from McFaddens (on Ionia) is going to be turned into retail w/lofts above this comming year? Anyone have anything on this project?

I think Rockford Construction, Design+, and Commerce Realty have been trying to put something together on that lot for some time. I think they just requested a "re-up" on their option on that property recently. I don't know what they're waitin for.

I think Rockford Construction, Design+, and Commerce Realty have been trying to put something together on that lot for some time. I think they just requested a "re-up" on their option on that property recently. I don't know what they're waitin for.

You are correct. They have been shopping this idea for a while. Not sure what is holding them up from pulling the trigger.

Predictions:

--A performing arts center will be announced for Monroe at either the Amway-owned Fulton Street parking lot or in the Olds Manor site, but not at the new GRAM, where it should be located.

--Something will occupy Olds Manor, but it won't be a hotel. Either the aforementioned performing arts center, condos or a medical use.

--The MSU med school extension will be built on either the parking lot next to McDonalds on Michigan or in the Michigan Street Development.

--A lot of underconnected real estate types will take a bath on investments on Michigan Street and Cherry (here's looking at you Mr. Chamelly)

--Toward the end of the year, stories will start to appear about the decline of downtown residential (already starting for rents) as house rehabs and new apartments/condos eat up the market.

--A major lawsuit protesting school of choice by affluent suburban parents.

--Supreme Court decision (re:Cuno v. DaimlerChrysler) will eliminate SBT incentives and stall redevelopment.

--Fred Meijer dies. Local media goes nuts in tributes; Meijer gets acquired by another chain.

--Gerald R. Ford dies. Local media goes nuts in tributes; forgets he hasn't lived here in 30 years.

--More factories close.

--A countywide taskforce will be announced to address continued increase in armed robbery.

Archived