Atlanta World Expo 2015

UrbanAtl

I have been working on a website for an Atlanta World Expo 2015 bid. The purpose of the site is to get people interested in the idea of having a World Expo in Atlanta. It is not a bid in itself. The site is new and I would love it if you gave me some feedback. There is a feedback page on the site.

http://www.atlanta-worldexpo-2015.com/page/page/2729440.htm

Thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The website is something that I made and I can't bid for the city by myself. I'm waiting to see what the response is from the mayor's office. The city has to pick up the idea for it to happen because the bid process is a full time job and I'm not in the financial position to quit my day job. It really has to come from the city. I tried to make the website look good so that they would take it seriously. But who knows?

As of today they have had it for only one day. One person from the Atlanta City Council e-mailed me but nothing really. His email just said that he was glad that I was trying to make Atlanta a better place. It may have even been an automatic response???

I found an article today that talks about the US pulling out of the BIE. The BIE is the international body that awards cities to host World's Fairs / World Expos. From what I could gather it has something to do with the fact that the BIE is French. Probably the same guy who lobbied for freedom fries. What an idiot!

If you find out more please let me know. I'm still looking for more information to who and why. I'm not even sure if the US pulls out of the BIE that it will kill any US city's chance or not, but it can't be good.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update: Looks like we will have to become an organization (with staff) before we involve the city of Atlanta goernment. I'm putting my part off until the new year. I hope other Georgia cities consider putting on a World's Fair as well. I would love to go to a World's Fair in Augusta, Macon and/or Savannah. Even smaller cities like Valdosta, Albany, LaGrange and Rome could host small World's Fairs.

Large Expos are on the 0's and 5' (2010 & 2015 for example).

Smaller Expos are on all the other years.

So why not Savannah 2009, or Macon 2011???

Just an update: Looks like we will have to become an organization (with staff) before we involve the city of Atlanta goernment. I'm putting my part off until the new year. I hope other Georgia cities consider putting on a World's Fair as well. I would love to go to a World's Fair in Augusta, Macon and/or Savannah. Even smaller cities like Valdosta, Albany, LaGrange and Rome could host small World's Fairs.

Large Expos are on the 0's and 5' (2010 & 2015 for example).

Smaller Expos are on all the other years.

So why not Savannah 2009, or Macon 2011???

Not to say that I wouldn't support one of these smaller fairs, but that would seem like overkill for Georgia to ask for so many fairs to be sponsored/approved/whatever by the BIE (or whoever will be doing it now that the US has pulled out from that group).

There are only two towns in Georgia (aside from Atlanta) that I would like to see a fair come to: Athens and Savannah. Augusta and Columbus I could go either way on. Macon, IMO, needs to grow and develop some first. La Grange, Rome, Valdosta, Albany, Dalton, and so on seem way too small to host world's fairs, going by what I have seen of the list of cities hosting these fairs (large and small).

Archived