South's strongest economic MSA's

The_sandlapper

Picked this up from the Columbia forum.

Here a list of the south's strongest economies by MSA.

Some surprises and some expected.

1. Charlotte

2. Atlanta

3. Birmingham

4. Nashville

5. Raleigh

6. Dallas

7. Austin

8. Richmond

9. Orlando

10. Memphis

11. Houston

12. Louisville

13. Tampa

14. Durham

15. Charlottesville

16. Lexington

17. Columbia

18. Va Beach

19. Naples

20. Montgomery

For the entire list including the entire U.S.

U.S. strongest economies

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I don't take these types of who's who list to heart, but I do like too bring them to light. It's always nice to just see something from time to time.

I agree. Like I said, it creates good water cooler talk if nothing else. Thanks for posting this list. The other list I saw from this site was for the whole country. That was a rather interesting list I might add.

The Economic Strength of MSA's and the Median Income of MSA's were discussed for all the country in the Urban Discussion section. I was told that I was a cheerleader for Atlanta...*hiding pompoms*....soooooo, in order not to be labeled a cheerleader, I will parrot what I said there.

WOW, for all the economic beatings Atlanta's MSA has been dealt over the last five years, she sure is still doing quite well in the rankings.

She's number 7th in the nation for median incomes for MSA and 2nd for economic strength for MSA per this thread. Even with a few rankings that came out earlier this week from the Census Bureau, six of her immediate counties are in the country's 100 wealthiest counties in the USA. This bodes well for her overall because she has been dealt some serious blows as of late.

Okay, enough gushing on Atlanta.....it's not like she needs me for her Branding campaign, lol.

I too however find these list odd because some will say one thing while another says another.....but it's so hard to resist a positive comment when the MSA in which you reside does well. I'm with Lexy though....these list are nice to look at but in relative term to the average person, it's so hard to measure.

BTW, where is Jacksonville on this list. The fact that it was left off looks rather odd.

EDIT: okay, they have Jacksonville at 74. Ummmmmm, no offense Montgomery but shouldn't Jacksonville be rated higher.

Picked this up from the Columbia forum.

Here a list of the south's strongest economies by MSA.

Some surprises and some expected.

1. Charlotte

2. Atlanta

3. Birmingham

4. Nashville

5. Raleigh

6. Dallas

7. Austin

I noticed that San Antonio came immediately after Austin on the URL list provided. FYI, San Antonio is SOUTH of Austin. :)

Laughable at best.

Winchester, Va over Houston, Tampa, etc...

Wausau, Wi and Fort Collin, Co over Chicago, Sacramento, Las Vegas, NYC, etc...

Boise City-Nampa, ID, Barnstable Town, MA, Oshkosh -Neenah, WI, and Sioux Falls, SD over Jacksonville, San Jose and San Fransisco, etc...

They spent who knows how much time creating this and it's absolutely and utterly pointless and of no value to any business at all.

I noticed that San Antonio came immediately after Austin on the URL list provided. FYI, San Antonio is SOUTH of Austin. :)

Yeah I didn't include San Antonio because I didn't think of it as a traditional "southern" city but then again I guess Austin isn't a "southern" city either my bad anyway take austin out of consideration.

I'm just curious to all others who don't agree with list like this what would be considered a legit analysis?

How about adding the following factors market gowth %, population growth %, housing permits to population ratio, corporate expansion and relocation, average wage/cost of living ratio, foreign investment, value of construction, etc....

These things determine how well a local economy is doing.

I don't see how Wausau, Wi can have a better economy than Jacksonville when J-Ville just announced 2 40+ story towers within a week, has more permits pulled for housing than Charlotte and is gaining a Japanese based cargo facility that handles 800,000 20 foot containers per year and is in the midst of $1.5 billion in road construction projects just for starters.

How about adding the following factors market gowth %, population growth %, housing permits to population ratio, corporate expansion and relocation, average wage/cost of living ratio, foreign investment, value of construction, etc....

These things determine how well a local economy is doing.

Not if everyone moving in is working at Walmart and living in trailers. Florida does have a lot of people moving there, but I think it is mostly weather related and immigration from Latin America. I have lived in Fla, and while there is fabulous wealth, there is fabulous poverty too along with a huge number of people in marginal situations. I'm not sure if they translates to having a good economy as compared to the cities at the top of that list.

You're absolutely right. All we have now are Wal-Marts popping up every 15 minutes and the median home price for trailers has risen to $200k.

Lets not count the fortune 500 companies moving to Fl. or the fact we have the highest state to state immagration. Of 2003's 15,982,378 census count, 7,658,583 were born in a different state and only 2,670,828 were born in a different country.

Not if everyone moving in is working at Walmart and living in trailers. Florida does have a lot of people moving there, but I think it is mostly weather related and immigration from Latin America.

Do you have ANY evidence to back up this statement? If so, please post it. By the way, I have been to NC many times and seen many trailers there too. I find it amusing that you would attack Florida on this subject. If you dont like Florida because of some negative experience fine, but please dont make things up.

monsoon: According to the latest press release from the US Department Of Commerce, Florida's average net wages grew at a rate of 2% in the 2d quarter of 2005 (the latest figures available) which places us in the highest quintile of the high wage growth states. NC is in the second lowest quintile for growth. See http://www.bea.gov/bea/newsrel/SQPINewsRelease.htm

How does this square with your assertion that FL is a low wage mecca while NC is a high wage paradise? :whistling:

monsoon: According to the latest press release from the US Department Of Commerce, Florida's average net wages grew at a rate of 2% in the 2d quarter of 2005 (the latest figures available) which places us in the highest quintile of the high wage growth states. NC is in the second lowest quintile for growth. See http://www.bea.gov/bea/newsrel/SQPINewsRelease.htm

How does this square with your assertion that FL is a low wage mecca while NC is a high wage paradise? :whistling:

Maybe you missed the topic of conversation here. We are talking about metros, not entire states. I will be first to agree and admit that NC as a whole as issues in its rural areas where all the textile jobs are being sent overseas. I have discussed this many times on this forum. Go search if you like. However that is irrelevant to this particular topic as we are talking about MSAs.

You suggested most immigration was foreign, I proved otherwise so why continue to try to deter my point with an even less meliorate retort?

Do you have facts to back up your claims regarding Fl? I can back mine.

Go check the Fla vs NC thread. I provided the numbers and source for net domestic migration between Fla and NC. More people move from Fla to NC than the other way around.

I know that. I never said otherwise. I'm probably reading the same pdf file you were but as I said, Fl brings in more than any other. You don't find that strange that cities in the state with the largest construction boom in the country, the largest immigration (foreign and state to state) in the country, increased minimum wages, incredible housing market and such a horrible representation on that chart when compared to small towns that probably haven't seen a new face in town since someone got lost and asked for directions?

So you agree that Winchester, Va has a stronger economy than Houston? That Wausau, Wi and Fort Collin, Co have stonger economies than Chicago, Sacramento, Las Vegas, NYC? That Boise City-Nampa, ID, Barnstable Town, MA, Oshkosh -Neenah, WI, and Sioux Falls, SD have stronger economies than Jacksonville, San Jose and San Fransisco?

Archived