Springdale, Arkansas

Mith242

Just thought I'd start this topic, even though not as much seems to be going on sometimes. At least compared to the other northwest Arkansas cities. I've been seeing some commercials for a hispanic nightclub on tv quite a bit recently. I just saw it a little while ago but got distracted and can't recall the name now. Interesting idea, nice to see some stuff like this happen. I know this has come up before in another topic but it would be great to have some sort of hispanic markets or hispanic oriented retail centers. Not to say that Springdale can only focus on it's hispanic community, but it is something it's known for. And they don't have as much going for them in Springdale compared to the other northwest Arkansas cities. But anyway just thought it might be interesting to have a "Little Mexico' area. Not just area where a number of hispanic live but also retail, entertainment and so on.

There's suppose to be a 427 acre subdivision going on out there.

I just heard about it this morning.

Around the area where the sports complex is supposed to be? There's a lot of land out there that hasn't been developed yet despite it's closeness to I-540 and Hwy412. I had almost considered trying to stop there and take a pic but wasn't sure if it was worth trying to stop just to take a pic of an empty field.

Around the area where the sports complex is supposed to be? There's a lot of land out there that hasn't been developed yet despite it's closeness to I-540 and Hwy412. I had almost considered trying to stop there and take a pic but wasn't sure if it was worth trying to stop just to take a pic of an empty field.

No, It was land that was recently annexed.

I think they want The land near I-540 and 412 to be more commercial.

No, It was land that was recently annexed.

I think they want The land near I-540 and 412 to be more commercial.

Ah I see. So you mentioned you thought 71B would eventually become mainly hispanic businesses and you'd like to see some restaurants and maybe a mall along the I-540 corridor in Springdale in the other Springdale topic. While I guess not everyone looks forward to having multiple chain stores and restaurants it could still be useful for Springdale. I think right now anything to get something going on up there would be nice. Maybe if the city could find some way to better utilize and take advantage of the Jones Center. I know they have tried revitalizing that area of town with the Jones Center and their Art Center but it hasn't worked out too well yet. Any other suggestions for Springdale?

Revitalize the downtown district.

Put a Costco in the Sam's Building.

Is Costco even looking to this area for a possible store? Do you think they are ready to put in a store in Wal-mart/Sam's backyard? Seems like most other places are rather reluctant. Granted Target came in but it's a bit different than a Wal-mart store. I'm not sure if Springdale will keep trying to revitalize much of the downtown area. What areas they have done don't seem to be working out too well for them. They've manage to bring in some restaurants and retail but I think most of them have closed or left in less than a year.

Is Costco even looking to this area for a possible store? Do you think they are ready to put in a store in Wal-mart/Sam's backyard? Seems like most other places are rather reluctant. Granted Target came in but it's a bit different than a Wal-mart store. I'm not sure if Springdale will keep trying to revitalize much of the downtown area. What areas they have done don't seem to be working out too well for them. They've manage to bring in some restaurants and retail but I think most of them have closed or left in less than a year.

I think Springdale should get some "good quality" retail and restaurants. Put some interesting things like a Japenese Steakhouse and such in.

I think Springdale should get some "good quality" retail and restaurants. Put some interesting things like a Japenese Steakhouse and such in.

That would certainly help. I guess it's more of a question of talking some place into doing it. I don't know if many places could be talked into giving up the Fayetteville or Rogers/Bentonville market to try out Springdale. I guess Springdale is just going to have a problem getting something started. Once that happens I think it could work itself up to other things. Find a way to keep all the people that live in the city there and not to go to Rogers of Fayetteville to shop or eat. I hate to keep mentioning this but what if they tried to put in some Mexican steakhouses or maybe more upsclae Mexican restaurants? I think many people do identify Springdale with hispanics, even though Rogers has quite a lot too. Maybe trying to work off that identity isn't the way to go but I thought it could be a possibility.

That would certainly help. I guess it's more of a question of talking some place into doing it. I don't know if many places could be talked into giving up the Fayetteville or Rogers/Bentonville market to try out Springdale. I guess Springdale is just going to have a problem getting something started. Once that happens I think it could work itself up to other things. Find a way to keep all the people that live in the city there and not to go to Rogers of Fayetteville to shop or eat. I hate to keep mentioning this but what if they tried to put in some Mexican steakhouses or maybe more upsclae Mexican restaurants? I think many people do identify Springdale with hispanics, even though Rogers has quite a lot too. Maybe trying to work off that identity isn't the way to go but I thought it could be a possibility.

I'm not sure if another mexican restaurant is what Springdale needs. I love Mexican Food just as much as anyone else, but Springdale really needs to start getting some other restaurants besides mexican restaurants.

If Springdale could just convince a greatly known restaurant in the nation to move a location into the downtown area, I think things would begin to flourish. It could be chain or regional, as long as they would incorporate the downtown influence into the building.

I'm not sure if another mexican restaurant is what Springdale needs. I love Mexican Food just as much as anyone else, but Springdale really needs to start getting some other restaurants besides mexican restaurants.

If Springdale could just convince a greatly known restaurant in the nation to move a location into the downtown area, I think things would begin to flourish. It could be chain or regional, as long as they would incorporate the downtown influence into the building.

I wouldn't mind seeing some nicer more upscale Mexican restaurants there but then again that's me. But I can see how maybe that may not be the best avenue for the city to persue. Unfortunately many people are going to believe stereotypes and that could hurt Springdale if it did try to capitalize more of the hispanic image of the city.

I don't think a segregated area like Little Mexico would be a good idea at all. NWA does NOT need segregated ghettoes of large size, for now they're limited to Lindsey's' complexes. :D

Upscale Mexican restaurants tend to be chain-oriented and well, not Mexican. The really nice Mexican places in Dallas are all either chains or run by 2nd or 3rd generation English-raised "Tex Mex" families.

Is NWA getting a Cozymel's or Cantina Laredo soon? It would be a good area for either.

I was wondering when they were going to build one in Springdale. I'm sure it's welcomed news in Springdale.

Yeah I'm sure it is. I'm sure it doesn't seem like much to many people but it could be a start of Springdale getting something going. I think even if they could start getting more people who live in the city to eat out and shop there that would be a big boost for them. Then again I guess they need a boost since they ran off Sam's. Wasn't that around $900,000 of tax income for them? That was really stupid of them to run them off like that.

Yeah I'm sure it is. I'm sure it doesn't seem like much to many people but it could be a start of Springdale getting something going. I think even if they could start getting more people who live in the city to eat out and shop there that would be a big boost for them. Then again I guess they need a boost since they ran off Sam's. Wasn't that around $900,000 of tax income for them? That was really stupid of them to run them off like that.

Yeah, Sam's makes about 950,000 for the city.

I think it's a great start for Springdale.

Do you know where this is. I get the impression that this will be near the new stadium.

Yeah, Sam's makes about 950,000 for the city.

I think it's a great start for Springdale.

Do you know where this is. I get the impression that this will be near the new stadium.

I admit I don't know the exact location. But for some reason I was thinking it was more east. But closer to I-540 makes much more sense. Obviously being close to I-540 and that would also make it not quite so close to the one neat the Fayetteville-Springdale border.

I think Springdale's growth will dissipate in the future. The numbers could be skewed for all we know. It is the cheapest place as well to buy a home in NWA, so I guess much of their growth could be attributed to that.

I'm sure that some of the cheapest house prices in the area certainly help. Springdale seems to really be geared towards building housing subdivisions. Now they just have to do a better job of other types of city planning.