Springdale, Arkansas

Mith242

I think Springdale has been moving this way for a while now. Springdale has already implemented a number of other building codes and such. Certainly a good move for the city. The bad thing is that they waited until the past year or so to make this move. Unfortunately for Springdale it's going to have to pay for the mistakes that were made in the past couple of decades. But it's still good to see them trying to change.

I didn't realize this but apparently Springdale has set up their own tech park and have broken ground on their first occupant. Duralor which is a spinoff of NanoMech an incubator company located at the Arkansas Research and Technology Center in Fayetteville. Duralor will make nanoparticle coatings to items to improve their durability. The tech park is apparently located somewhere over on East Emma in Springdale.

In other Springdale news, there looks like there will be a census to try to get a better idea how many Marshallese are in the area. NWA is believed to have the largest amount in the continental US, with many of them located in Springdale. It also looks like the Marshallese government is looking to set up a consulate. It doesn't sound like there's any site picked out yet. But you'd think Springdale would have a good chance at it with them having the largest percentage of them.

Apparently Springdale is losing a 'landmark'. The McDonald's in east Springdale with the airplane on it has come down. They're remodeling the restaurant and they decided it could be a liability because a piece of the plane had already come off during high winds.

Apparently Springdale is losing a 'landmark'. The McDonald's in east Springdale with the airplane on it has come down. They're remodeling the restaurant and they decided it could be a liability because a piece of the plane had already come off during high winds.

Well that bites. Its my favorite McDonalds. I like the little airplane museum display pieces they have inside. It would be nice if they could move the plane to a display on the ground.

Well that bites. Its my favorite McDonalds. I like the little airplane museum display pieces they have inside. It would be nice if they could move the plane to a display on the ground.

Yeah I have to admit it was rather uniqie, not something you see everyday. Apparently the corporate office also 'persuaded' them to take it down and go for another theme.

Apparently there's been some talk of putting in condos around the Har-Ber Meadows area. I hadn't heard anything about it till today. It would be a couple of three story buildings. But of course, it's upset a lot of the neighbors since it's not your typical suburban housing. Deviate from the typical suburban sprawl and everyone freaks out. But anyway Springdale has tabled it for now until they can talk more about it.

• 2 months later...

Springdale will be considering a $20 Mil exit on I-540 at Don Tyson Prkwy soon. I can't find where I came across it earlier today. But I also saw something a Texas based firm would be unveiling plans for a large scale development near Arvest Park sometime this October.

Apparently there's been some talk of putting in condos around the Har-Ber Meadows area. I hadn't heard anything about it till today. It would be a couple of three story buildings. But of course, it's upset a lot of the neighbors since it's not your typical suburban housing. Deviate from the typical suburban sprawl and everyone freaks out. But anyway Springdale has tabled it for now until they can talk more about it.

Looks like the developer has the 'go ahead' for the condos after adjustments were made to please the neighbors. Now the buildings will only be two stories instead of three and the units have been reduced from 48 to 32. Apparently this reassured the neighbors that the condos wouldn't 'turn into slums'. :rolleyes: But now the developer has to re-examine whether or not this development will be financially feasible after the changes. So The Waterfront Condos still might not come about. Guess I've just never heard of there being much of a problem with condos becoming a 'slum area' as the neighbors were so concerned about.

Looks like the developer has the 'go ahead' for the condos after adjustments were made to please the neighbors. Now the buildings will only be two stories instead of three and the units have been reduced from 48 to 32. Apparently this reassured the neighbors that the condos wouldn't 'turn into slums'. :rolleyes: But now the developer has to re-examine whether or not this development will be financially feasible after the changes. So The Waterfront Condos still might not come about. Guess I've just never heard of there being much of a problem with condos becoming a 'slum area' as the neighbors were so concerned about.

That is hilarious- I read where the condos would be $245,000 each and have elevators and laundry and maid service. If those are in danger of turning into a slum then let me know and I'll take one when it happens-sounds like the good lfe to me.

That is hilarious- I read where the condos would be $245,000 each and have elevators and laundry and maid service. If those are in danger of turning into a slum then let me know and I'll take one when it happens-sounds like the good lfe to me.

Exactly. Sounds to me the neighbors were 'threatened' by something that wasn't the typical suburban style development.

• 2 months later...

I have'nt heard anything on Springdale lately so I thought I'd update everyone on whats going on in Springdale currently. I recently moved to the east side to Remington Place Apartments and was surprised at how nice these apartments were, being on this side of Springdale. I also noticed that Huntsville AVE/ Butterfield Coach RD is comming together quite nicely being able to take you from exit 73 off I-540 to 71b Thompson, then to Ar 265 Old Missouri, then to 412 east Robinson, then to the new southern corridor Don Tyson Parkway, mostly 5 lane capacity. Another thing that surprised me when i drove around the "hood" some more was the fact that Springdale's Industrial park had alot going up over there off of Huntsville and Emma just east of 265. I'm sure you all know about the new UPS facillity that was just built, and it looks very nice from the street. Springdale is also trying to build a new park over on the east side some where off of Butterfield Coach in the very near future. At the intersection of Butter Field Coach and 412 east Robinson right next to the existing Harps is a Walgreen's and a Neighborhood Market both near completion as well as a planned First National Bank and an Arvest Bank. The only draw back to this side of town is the fact that everything, and I mean EVERYTHING residentialy proposed is low income, it may look like theres some nice brick homes going up but its nothing but duplexes and more apartments, as well as the crime and drug raids that occure all the time, as in I see a raid just about every day in the neighborhood around my apartments or in my apartments. I mysely am 20 and a college student, and extremely broke so this is one of the few places I can live in NWA, but it's fine because I grew up in Springdale and I love it here. Hopefully the New developments over here can help dress up the area, because I know Springdale's Downtown neighborhoods are a lost cause and a haven for criminal activity. I'm curious as to who else lives in Springdale on this forum?

I have'nt heard anything on Springdale lately so I thought I'd update everyone on whats going on in Springdale currently. I recently moved to the east side to Remington Place Apartments and was surprised at how nice these apartments were, being on this side of Springdale. I also noticed that Huntsville AVE/ Butterfield Coach RD is comming together quite nicely being able to take you from exit 73 off I-540 to 71b Thompson, then to Ar 265 Old Missouri, then to 412 east Robinson, then to the new southern corridor Don Tyson Parkway, mostly 5 lane capacity. Another thing that surprised me when i drove around the "hood" some more was the fact that Springdale's Industrial park had alot going up over there off of Huntsville and Emma just east of 265. I'm sure you all know about the new UPS facillity that was just built, and it looks very nice from the street. Springdale is also trying to build a new park over on the east side some where off of Butterfield Coach in the very near future. At the intersection of Butter Field Coach and 412 east Robinson right next to the existing Harps is a Walgreen's and a Neighborhood Market both near completion as well as a planned First National Bank and an Arvest Bank. The only draw back to this side of town is the fact that everything, and I mean EVERYTHING residentialy proposed is low income, it may look like theres some nice brick homes going up but its nothing but duplexes and more apartments, as well as the crime and drug raids that occure all the time, as in I see a raid just about every day in the neighborhood around my apartments or in my apartments. I mysely am 20 and a college student, and extremely broke so this is one of the few places I can live in NWA, but it's fine because I grew up in Springdale and I love it here. Hopefully the New developments over here can help dress up the area, because I know Springdale's Downtown neighborhoods are a lost cause and a haven for criminal activity. I'm curious as to who else lives in Springdale on this forum?

I myself am a student at the U of A and live near campus, however, I used to work near the Springdale airport and currently volunteer at one of the area schools. I like the development that is going on there. It is not the most attractive area in Springdale, but there are some nice amenities there. My favorite restaurant in that area is Acapulco Mexican restaurant. The Harps is nice and when the Neighborhood Market is completed, it will provide a better selection of groceries. Having Fed Ex, UPS, and DHL nearby is also convenient. I think if Springdale keeps up with street maintenance, that area will be a nice place to live.

Thanks for the update on Springdale. Its sad to see people from Springdale say that the downtown area is a lost cause, though.

I wish the city leaders were better at planning.

I love where the Naturals stadium is but I would have loved it even more if they would have built it in Downtown Springdale and try to revamp the surrounding area and try to attract new businesses.

I myself am a student at the U of A and live near campus, however, I used to work near the Springdale airport and currently volunteer at one of the area schools. I like the development that is going on there. It is not the most attractive area in Springdale, but there are some nice amenities there. My favorite restaurant in that area is Acapulco Mexican restaurant. The Harps is nice and when the Neighborhood Market is completed, it will provide a better selection of groceries. Having Fed Ex, UPS, and DHL nearby is also convenient. I think if Springdale keeps up with street maintenance, that area will be a nice place to live.

Yea I deffinately cant wait for Huntsville/ Butterfield to be done. It'll be sooooo much easier to get from I-540 to the east side, I also heard some one say that the 412 bypass is supposed to intersect with 265 and hug the edge of the industrial park, and that would be awesome.

Edited by edensfall

Looks like Springdale voters made a wise choice in electing a new mayor. Doug Sprouse will make a much better mayor than Mike Overton would have. Sprouse will help the city move forward while Overton would have moved it back to it's "no holds barred" development of days past. Springdale will be much better off in the long term with Sprouse as mayor.

Oh yeah- the Don Tyson Parkway is great for the most part. The bottleneck between Carley and 40th is a hazard though- it really needs to be widened before bad accidents start occuring.

Edited by zman9810

• 4 weeks later...

has anyone heard anything new on the Springdale Highschool expansion? i know emma has been closed forever and that they have been doing some ground work, any more info???

I'm afraid I haven't heard anything else. Usually I hear more about the problems Fayetteville is having trying to decide what it's going to do with it's high school. But overall Springdale seems to be having a better time moving forward.

• 2 weeks later...

the new neighborhood market opens tomorrow in east springdale, looks like they are planning on putting alot of other retail spaces around it as well, the ground work is still going on around the new arvest bank, and i heard some rumors that they will be building more medium and low income housing/ apartments around it all.

the new neighborhood market opens tomorrow in east springdale, looks like they are planning on putting alot of other retail spaces around it as well, the ground work is still going on around the new arvest bank, and i heard some rumors that they will be building more medium and low income housing/ apartments around it all.

Cool, thanks for the update.

• 4 months later...

Sounds like Macadoodles is wanting to buy a liquor license from a south Fayetteville liquor store and put in a big store in northwest Springdale near I-540. I'd heard rumors of them looking around Washington County including Fayetteville. But I think the Springdale locations helps them still tap into the Benton County market. While there are also some decent liquor stores in Springdale I think there's a bit more competition in the larger type liquor stores in Fayetteville. I'm curious to see if this possible store might have effects on the Fayetteville liquor stores.

• 2 weeks later...

Big surprise, the Springdale Liquor Association also known as the Phillips family have a problem with the possible Macadoodles. It's not bad enough this family has found a loophole so that they can control a lot of liquor stores which wasn't the intent of the law. This family basically own all the Springdale liquor stores except one. I also believe they own some of the Fayetteville liquor stores as well. Now somebody is coming in and threatens to upset their stranglehold over Springdale's alcohol sales. There's also some vocal members of First Baptist in Springdale who aren't thrilled about it either. But other Springdale residents might want to make their intentions made. The same people causing problems now basically ran off Sam's when they wanted to open a liquor store next door. It's no coincidence that since then Springdale's tax collection revenue has been down. In the past it seems like Springdale was the recipient of businesses when Fayetteville scared them away. Now it almost seems like the opposite is happening. Sam's moved to Fayetteville and if somehow these people ran off Macadoodles I wouldn't be surprised at all if they simply picked a Fayetteville location instead.