Springdale, Arkansas

Mith242

This is not a pleasant subject but there is a bad situation that needs addressing in Springdale. Hopefully someone with the City will see or hear about this and take action. I had cause to be in Murphy Park today and the pond has become a stinking mess and I would think a very unhealthy place to be close to. The over population of geese and ducks have led to an accumulation of waste that can be seen floating over large areas of the pond. I would think this could attract the attention of the State Health Dept. if it isn't addressed soon.

I was at the aquatic center last night for an end of vacation bible school pool party with my kids. Had to shoo the ducks out of water in the toddler area, the wading pool and the big pool.  3/4ths of the chaise chairs had broken back supports so they could not be raised, only flat.

Edited by TRB

In my opinion...

1. Most Park and Rec employees do not have an initiative to keep a park clean. Chain Gangs do a far better job.

2. There should be regional population maintenance of Geese in city limits.

3. Maintenance of amenities at parks should be mandated at city level as well. Especially if any discussion of additional parks exists in a jurisdiction.

Food for thought (no pun intended).  On this 4th of July, many people will be seeing these products on their grills and at their cookouts.  Tyson Foods and Hillshire Foods entered into their definitive agreement to merge this week, with the deal being finalized at the end of Tyson's fiscal year which will be in late September.  All these brands will be out of Springdale, AR, but the best thing to me (and those who know me know I have a special appreciation for the people of Brazil) is that by outbidding Brazilian based Pilgrim's Pride, Tyson kept these brands in American hands.  (And Tyson is now essentially to meat what Procter & Gamble (Cincinnati) is to consumer products, Coca-Cola (Atlanta) is to non-dairy beverages and General Mills (Minneapolis) is to breakfast food and baking goods...this tells me it's no wonder we're seeing Springdale now working to catch up to its fellow NWA cities in redoing its downtown and elsewhere)  Happy 4th of July, all!

tyson.jpg

...and a LOT of history and commercials coming into Springdale and Arkansas with these new brands...here are five YouTube archived commercials:

1.  Ball Park Franks commercial from early 90s featuring Michael Jordan: 

2. Bryan Foods commercial from early 2000s featuring then-Alabama head football coach Mike Shula and one of his daughters: 

3.  Sara Lee commercial from the 1960s with a then-well-remembered albeit almost over-repeated jingle: 

4.  Kahn's Foods commercial from the 1990s to the tune of 3 Dog Night's "Old fashioned love song": 

5.  Jimmy Dean commercial featuring the company's founder from 1994: 

(...and in case some haven't heard the song, Jimmy Dean was famous for singing the 1961 tune:
). Edited by KJW
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone familiar with the details surrounding the proposed Industrial Park / Plastics Plant that's proposed for west Springdale?  I've heard that quite a few people from the west side of Springdale are organizing to fight it.  From the way the article read  in the paper this weekend, much of the city staff want to approve this thing...  IMHO I'm not sure this is the best thing for west Springdale.  Considering Springdale has already garnered the reputation as the ugliest city in NWA, putting an industrial park in the middle of the future gateway to your city might only reinforce that reputation.  

Yep, Signature Bank wants to zone a chunk of land industrial out there because it will be close to the 412 bypass where it'll intersect 112. It's not needed and I would be raising hell too if I lived in Legendary, which is seeing new homes built again. If that goes through, it is Springdale truly not learning a thing over the years and why it's the least desirable place to live out of the big 4.

The plastics plant has decided to locate elsewhere in Bentonville

Edited by TRB

Yep, Signature Bank wants to zone a chunk of land industrial out there because it will be close to the 412 bypass where it'll intersect 112. It's not needed and I would be raising hell too if I lived in Legendary, which is seeing new homes built again. If that goes through, it is Springdale truly not learning a thing over the years and why it's the least desirable place to live out of the big 4.

The plastics plant has decided to locate elsewhere in Bentonville

Springdale has a reputation for being a spot-zoned hell hole.  Its absurd what they did in some of the east side neighborhoods.  That kind of stuff lessens trust by residents.  I'm glad to see some organized opposition.  Springdale has been far too "business friendly" for far too long.  There's a difference between being business-friendly and allowing industry to do whatever they want without any thought given to quality of life.  

Not sure if this belongs here or the I-49 thread but ... The new Don Tyson interchange is great but can someone explain why they did the on/off ramps the way they did with left turns required from several directions? For example, if you are coming from the north to Arvest Ballpark you have to go through a stop SIGN to turn left. Not even a light there (yet?). At least there is a light on the east side of 49. I assume there is a logical or logistical answer to this but it seems like a huge waste to have 49 tied up and not do this interchange properly.

Also, while they were at it they should've extended the 412 offramp (northbound at least) down the road a bit.

Not sure if this belongs here or the I-49 thread but ... The new Don Tyson interchange is great but can someone explain why they did the on/off ramps the way they did with left turns required from several directions? For example, if you are coming from the north to Arvest Ballpark you have to go through a stop SIGN to turn left. Not even a light there (yet?). At least there is a light on the east side of 49. I assume there is a logical or logistical answer to this but it seems like a huge waste to have 49 tied up and not do this interchange properly.

Also, while they were at it they should've extended the 412 offramp (northbound at least) down the road a bit.

The half cloverleaf design was used because of the old landfill under I49 just south of the interchange. They didn't want to put the ramps over it. That stretch over the landfill has caused many accidents over the years. Hopefully when the widening project comes through they will fix that once and for all.

• Like 2

Assuming you are talking about 56th street, and it is going to be improved at Don Tyson to include a roundabout, hence the stop sign currently.

tyson.png

Its a small image but it illustrates the path taken when exiting I49 southbound at the Tyson Parkway interchange. To get to Arvest Park one has to curve back around to the north and stop before crossing the southside lanes of Tyson Parkway and turning left.

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming you are talking about 56th street, and it is going to be improved at Don Tyson to include a roundabout, hence the stop sign currently.

Thanks. Wasn't aware. I assumed something would change because it's not reasonable for high traffic.

The half cloverleaf design was used because of the old landfill under I49 just south of the interchange. They didn't want to put the ramps over it. That stretch over the landfill has caused many accidents over the years. Hopefully when the widening project comes through they will fix that once and for all.

Ah! Lived here since 85 and never knew what the problem was with the dip there on 540/49. I've always been baffled they haven't been able to create a level surface.

Some west Springdale notes. Not sure if useful at all.

Eye doctor next to Harp's in Tontitown has a sign posted that they will be moving to the new WM SC on Elm Springs Rd starting 8/13. Not sure of the accuracy but it would seem logical that the store would be open by then???

The Popeye's next to the Pilot near 49/412 has the sign on the building and signs for hiring. Looks to be a few weeks from opening at the worst.

The property of the old Mary Maestri's is being cleared and prepared for building. My uneducated guess is it will be a strip mall or similar being built by Brett Hash. I have no inside information but it seems logical. I wish it was a Neighborhood Market or Walgreen's.

Across the street in an old tire and auto place is now something called Naviyan, which appears to be some sort of home interior store but doesn't look to be open all the time. Google has failed me on this. I have no idea what it is but they've done a lot of work.

Looks like Springdale is going to get a Sam's after all. In the same area originally proposed before changing to Fayetteville.

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2014/aug/01/sams-club-open-springdale-location/

It will be a liquor store. Not the Phillips family

Wow. Very interesting. That will not be good for the store next to the old Valero station. 

Good to see Sam's Club coming back to Springdale.  Between this, the new Supercenter on Elm Springs, and the new Neighborhood Market on Tyson Parkway it'll be interesting to see how much sales tax gets pulled away from Fayetteville and Rogers.

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2014/aug/01/sams-club-open-springdale-location/

There will be some bleed from Fayetteville, no doubt. Don't see too much pull from Rogers.

Wow. Very interesting. That will not be good for the store next to the old Valero station. 

Survival of the fittest...

Some west Springdale notes. Not sure if useful at all.

Eye doctor next to Harp's in Tontitown has a sign posted that they will be moving to the new WM SC on Elm Springs Rd starting 8/13. Not sure of the accuracy but it would seem logical that the store would be open by then???

The Popeye's next to the Pilot near 49/412 has the sign on the building and signs for hiring. Looks to be a few weeks from opening at the worst.

The property of the old Mary Maestri's is being cleared and prepared for building. My uneducated guess is it will be a strip mall or similar being built by Brett Hash. I have no inside information but it seems logical. I wish it was a Neighborhood Market or Walgreen's.

Across the street in an old tire and auto place is now something called Naviyan, which appears to be some sort of home interior store but doesn't look to be open all the time. Google has failed me on this. I have no idea what it is but they've done a lot of work.

All good info!

The official WM Supercenter opening is indeed 8-13-14. That is going to be a major event for that area.

Nothing against liquor stores but I really hoped that site at the major NWA intersection of Hwy's 412 and 112 would be a better planned development. Tontitiown as is it is currently governed is a pox on NWA. It is the Springdale of old as far as development regulations are concerned. It sad to see subdivisions of $200,000+ homes being built next door to sheet metal buildings that will be constantly turned over in the market.

That being said: the subdivision just south of Tontitown's city park is seeing major development with approximately 20 lots in some construction phase. Hopefully some semblance of sane government will return to Tontitown in the near future- otherwise it is likely poor decisions now will lead to major problems in the future.

All good info!

The official WM Supercenter opening is indeed 8-13-14. That is going to be a major event for that area.

Nothing against liquor stores but I really hoped that site at the major NWA intersection of Hwy's 412 and 112 would be a better planned development. Tontitiown as is it is currently governed is a pox on NWA. It is the Springdale of old as far as development regulations are concerned. It sad to see subdivisions of $200,000+ homes being built next door to sheet metal buildings that will be constantly turned over in the market.

That being said: the subdivision just south of Tontitown's city park is seeing major development with approximately 20 lots in some construction phase. Hopefully some semblance of sane government will return to Tontitown in the near future- otherwise it is likely poor decisions now will lead to major problems in the future.

Liquor is retail and if done right can be really nice. If done wrong, can be really bad. Based on plans I've seen, this will be done right. A very expensive attractive building. Plus, they appear to be developing a shopping center, not just a stand alone store. Further, Tontitown is a tiny town with limited budget for a big planning staff. Unless someone wanted to pro bono a bunch of planning work, it will likely develop as is for the foreseeable future.

Liquor is retail and if done right can be really nice. If done wrong, can be really bad. Based on plans I've seen, this will be done right. A very expensive attractive building. Plus, they appear to be developing a shopping center, not just a stand alone store. Further, Tontitown is a tiny town with limited budget for a big planning staff. Unless someone wanted to pro bono a bunch of planning work, it will likely develop as is for the foreseeable future.

That's good to hear. I remember when they removed the Mary Maestri's building there were plans for a nice development but that was before the big downturn.

Tontitown is a small town as population goes but it's land area is huge. If they don't get a handle on how it develops now it will lead to bigger problems down the road. I get the impression that there is so much infighting that no one is thinking long term planning. Maybe a group like the NWA Regional Planning Commission could lend a hand if they were asked- I know that isn't really what they do but it would  be worth trying.

• 4 weeks later...

Food for thought (no pun intended).  On this 4th of July, many people will be seeing these products on their grills and at their cookouts.  Tyson Foods and Hillshire Foods entered into their definitive agreement to merge this week, with the deal being finalized at the end of Tyson's fiscal year which will be in late September.  All these brands will be out of Springdale, AR, but the best thing to me (and those who know me know I have a special appreciation for the people of Brazil) is that by outbidding Brazilian based Pilgrim's Pride, Tyson kept these brands in American hands.  (And Tyson is now essentially to meat what Procter & Gamble (Cincinnati) is to consumer products, Coca-Cola (Atlanta) is to non-dairy beverages and General Mills (Minneapolis) is to breakfast food and baking goods...this tells me it's no wonder we're seeing Springdale now working to catch up to its fellow NWA cities in redoing its downtown and elsewhere)  Happy 4th of July, all!

tyson.jpg

...and a LOT of history and commercials coming into Springdale and Arkansas with these new brands...here are five YouTube archived commercials:

Tyson's going to have to sell a hog-trading business, maybe something else but this deal is getting closer to being consummated.  And I didn't know that these brands are also fixin' to call Arkansas "home" (apparently):

natures-valley-oats-n-honey.gif and;vans-natural-foods-love-your-heart-waffl

• 2 weeks later...