Springdale, Arkansas

Mith242

I haven't looked close enough to see where the pumps were going in but I also don't know who was first with the plans. Could be that WM had their plans first and Casey's came in after. Just playing devil's advocate. WM is not always the evil empire that many make them out to be.

I will say Walmart has building new stores down to a science and get them up very quickly.  So I'm not sure someone else would be able to come in afterwards.  But I'm not here to bash Walmart either.  I wouldn't describe them as the evil empire.  But in certain instances they can be pretty ruthless though.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

nothing more than what the article states, but if you look at the major supporters of the upcoming ACH charity event note the major donors. Springdale's chamber of commerce is one. No other cities on the list. 

This is incredible news for the region. It's long past time families should be able to get first rate care in NWA as opposed to sending their kids to Little Rock for many procedures that are borderline routine. Health care has been one of the few things lagging in the region, as frankly NWA has   been way behind other metros of similar size. This will go a long way to addressing a good piece of that. 

• 1 month later...

There is a large new development going in north of Hwy 412 and just west of Jones Road in west Springdale. It could even be in Tontitown- I'm not sure where the actually boundary is in that area. Its big enough to be a residential subdivision. I haven't seen anything in the local media about it- anyone heard anything?

There is a large new development going in north of Hwy 412 and just west of Jones Road in west Springdale. It could even be in Tontitown- I'm not sure where the actually boundary is in that area. Its big enough to be a residential subdivision. I haven't seen anything in the local media about it- anyone heard anything?

there are two developments in the area, 80 tow homes and a new phase of single family lots for Tuscany. 

• Like 1

I think I saw they are building a new strip mall in that area.  Named after one of the Tontitown families but I can't remember which one.  Would that be it?

No, this is subdivision size. I saw the strip mall and another building further down from it under construction ,also.

I don't if it has been mentioned but the Sam's Club construction has been put off until 2016 in that same area. Meanwhile the Sam's Furniture is getting underway closer to I49.

Wow.  If this happens, it would mean the local television market will have fully "flipped" upside-down in television terms (given Channel 40's and the KPOM-to-KNWA moves of years back), with the center of gravity moving from Fort Smith down south to NWA up north.  Friends, I'm telling you...that has happened very rarely, if ever, in American media.  In another time, they'd be writing case studies and perhaps textbooks about this.  Perhaps someone is doing so anyway:

KFSM-TV Channel 5 may build in Springdale, and move their main operations from the old Carnegie library in Fort Smith to there:

During the past several weeks several sources told The City Wire that KFSM execs are considering moving their headquarters operation in the Fort Smith/Northwest Arkansas designated market area (DMA) from Fort Smith to Northwest Arkansas. A specific rumor is that the station, owned by New York City-based Tribune Broadcasting, is considering a site near Arvest Ballpark in Springdale for a new building.

While he would not comment on specific rumors, KFSM General Manager Van Comer did tell The City Wire that a potential change is under consideration.

“I have conducted a series of preliminary meetings with employees to discuss a plan to increase the size of our operation in Fayetteville over time,” Comer said in an e-mail note to The City Wire. “We would keep a strong presence in Fort Smith. I cannot be specific because the plan is still being developed and must be reviewed and approved at our corporate office.”

http://www.thecitywire.com/node/38980#.VgahxstViko

Edited by KJW

Wow.  If this happens, it would mean the local television market will have fully "flipped" upside-down in television terms (given Channel 40's and the KPOM-to-KNWA moves of years back), with the center of gravity moving from Fort Smith down south to NWA up north.  Friends, I'm telling you...that has happened very rarely, if ever, in American media.  In another time, they'd be writing case studies and perhaps textbooks about this.  Perhaps someone is doing so anyway:

I'm surprised it took them this long to move. It is a business decision that that any owner would make. The idea of loyalty doesn't apply when a business is doing what it needs to do to survive. TV news is a business that has become hard to make it in.

• Like 1

I'm surprised it took them this long to move. It is a business decision that that any owner would make. The idea of loyalty doesn't apply when a business is doing what it needs to do to survive. TV news is a business that has become hard to make it in.

Yes, no offense to Ft Smith.  But I'm still surprised to see how some of the tv stations seem to cater so much to Ft Smith.  The NWA metro easily dwarfs all the other Arkansas metros except for Little Rock of course.  So how is it that the Ft Smith market still manages to steer so much of the tv coverage their way?  

Mith, I just posted on the Rogers thread about longtime (and soon to be "ex-":() Fort Smith real estate and development company ERC moving from that city to Rogers, building a substantial office park for its new headquarters in the latter city.

I'm not sure anyone here (but if there is such a story THIS is the forum we'd get answers) can point to anywhere in America where a long-time second-largest-city-in-the-state has been totally eclipsed by a boomtown.  Las Vegas had no competition at all in the state of Nevada, with Reno being a totally different market far away.  Perhaps Orlando might qualify, but I'm not sure Daytona Beach and Melbourne were any more than parallel rather than dominant cities in its own media/corporate market, and the "big O" has been established since the early 60s when the infrastructure there underwent major change (finished Bella Vista Bypass, anyone?) that convinced Walt Disney to locate his "attraction" there from among several other potential choices...with Miami/Fort Lauderdale, Tampa/St. Petersburg and Jacksonville already in the state I doubt Orlando was ever Florida's "second city" in earlier days.

I honestly don't think the United States of America has seen anything like the Fort Smith - NWA collection of events, ever.

Edited by KJW

• 2 weeks later...

I remember a while back someone had questioned why the State had not located a nature center in NWA. Well...somebody heard I guess. There are plans to locate a education and nature center in Springdale in the far north end of town just east of I49. It would be on 61 acres of land being transferred to the Game and Fish Commission . The G&F regional office may also be moved from the Beaver Dam location to the Springdale site. It would be a great addition to the area.

I remember a while back someone had questioned why the State had not located a nature center in NWA. Well...somebody heard I guess. There are plans to locate a education and nature center in Springdale in the far north end of town just east of I49. It would be on 61 acres of land being transferred to the Game and Fish Commission . The G&F regional office may also be moved from the Beaver Dam location to the Springdale site. It would be a great addition to the area.

Fayetteville could have had this 10 yeas ago but Sue Madison got all holier than thou and killed it. It would have been a great location next to an ecologically sensitive area with waterfowl and birds. Nope, Fayetteville screwed that up, now Springdale reaps the reward. Nice going, Fayetteville. Bravo. 

This is right up there with a couple of other forgotten things. What if I told you JB first wanted Pinnacle Promenade in Fayetteville around 265 first. That's True, btw. What if I told you Fayetteville lost out on  a company that would have employees thousands in the industrial park but the land owners kept jacking up the price.

that's where he wanted it at first and that is coming from someone very close to him.

I'll be watching what the current Hunts do with the land they own around the crossover/Ark 16 area now that widening that intersection has wrapped up.

that's where he wanted it at first and that is coming from someone very close to him.

I'll be watching what the current Hunts do with the land they own around the crossover/Ark 16 area now that widening that intersection has wrapped up.

I don't doubt it, just that there were 2 competing mall sites in play in Benton County and the NWA Mall in Fayetteville was just coming off of a remodel and Dillard's addition. No way Bill Dillard would have done anything else in Fayetteville and therefore  it would have never gotten off the ground. Plus, no interstate access to boot. 

It's amazing what they've accomplished in Rogers and more to come. 

Southeast Fayetteville is primed for retail growth, grocery and shops. 

Edited by comreguy