SC's most "evil" companies

upstate29650

Who do you feel are bad employers in SC? Do they have a history of polluting the environment, skimping on wages & benefits, untimely layoffs....or is management just full of jerks? Vent here!

PS: Name the companies....not the individuals running them. Gotta be careful about slander, even if it may be true! :whistling:

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Burroughs's and Chapin. They turned a beutiful piece of ocean and turned it into a trick, setting MB down the inevitable path of Las Vegas, and Orlando. I've seen our future tons of low paying service jobs and high cost of living.

Sandy, that is exactly the company I was going to say as well. Burroughs and Chapin is evil.

B&C definitely. Do you think that if B&C didn't develop Myrtle Beach, that Myrtle Beach might be a safer, friendlier, family-oriented place to visit? There might not be anything left in Myrtle Beach without them, though.

It isn't B&C's fault that there are adult video stores around the beach, however.

Myrtlesquare just out of curiousity are you a MB native, and if so how was life at the beach before it became what it is now?

I lived at the beach from 01-02, and the longer I lived there the more I couldn't wait to leave. I loved the beach when I initially moved there but then with all of the construction, tourist, and overpriced cost of living I began to have second thoughts about the area. I do like Myrtle however the old clique' holds true here great place to visit but wouldn't want to live there.

By the way what was life like in Minneapolis?

How about Wal-Mart being built in every town by bringing unfair price competetion to where downtowns and mom-pop shops are dying. What about when the company sees opposition and still insists of building their mega stores in unwelcomed territory. They tend to strategically build in non-annexed land, right next to the city limits to save money (county taxes tend to be cheaper than city taxes). Their employees are treated like dirt and for the most part, many employees find Wal-Mart as a dead end job. The CBS evening news likes to let America know that Wal-Mart is a good company and is in partnership to help communities and bring back but thats far from the truth. Im sensing propoganda because money talks, everything else walks.

What could be more evil than Wal Mart in South Carolina or the nation?

Myrtlesquare just out of curiousity are you a MB native, and if so how was life at the beach before it became what it is now?

I lived at the beach from 01-02, and the longer I lived there the more I couldn't wait to leave. I loved the beach when I initially moved there but then with all of the construction, tourist, and overpriced cost of living I began to have second thoughts about the area. I do like Myrtle however the old clique' holds true here great place to visit but wouldn't want to live there.

By the way what was life like in Minneapolis?

I was born in Minneapolis, not native to MB. Minneapolis was cold, definitely cold.

From what I've read, MB sounded like a good place to be before massive development occured all around the beach. I personally do not mind it as much as some people who hate it. Ask metrobi, I believe that metrobi was born in MB and was a native.

I liked Illinois the best.

Haha, I was going to say B&C also. Interestingly I went to elementary school with one of the grandkids of the founder. They referred to him as "old man Burroughs".

B&C owns a huge amount of land in that county. When I worked at Mickey Dee's in Myrtle Beach in highschool, I was surprised to learn that B&C owned the property but MD had a long term lease the land.

For decades there was a department store and grocery in MB called Chapins. It was located near the Pavillion (which B&C owns). The store was often very good to the local population in extending credit during the slow winter months when people did not have money, and letting them pay it back off during the summer. There was another department store in Conway (the county seat) called Burroughs. Sadly all of this is gone now.

They have destroyed MB in search of profits.

How about Wal-Mart being built in every town by bringing unfair price competetion to where downtowns and mom-pop shops are dying. What about when the company sees opposition and still insists of building their mega stores in unwelcomed territory. They tend to strategically build in non-annexed land, right next to the city limits to save money (county taxes tend to be cheaper than city taxes). Their employees are treated like dirt and for the most part, many employees find Wal-Mart as a dead end job. The CBS evening news likes to let America know that Wal-Mart is a good company and is in partnership to help communities and bring back but thats far from the truth. Im sensing propoganda because money talks, everything else walks.

What could be more evil than Wal Mart in South Carolina or the nation?

Come on man, please don't jump on that bandwagon! As a matter of fact, Wal-Marts in SC have helped spur the economy of many different areas of Chas, Cola, and G'ville. As for the small towns, Wal-Marts have turned literal ghost towns into thriving areas. Take Hartsville for example. Ever since they built that Wal-Mart, residents in the Pee Dee have a closer place to get their goods. Now Hartsville is starting to thrive, DT has redeveloped, and it even has nice places to eat. That never happened before Wal-Mart came to the town.

Can you say it's evil? I don't know. If there is one company that I think is pure evil, it is the organization trying to incorporate James Island! :D

Come on man, please don't jump on that bandwagon! As a matter of fact, Wal-Marts in SC have helped spur the economy of many different areas of Chas, Cola, and G'ville. As for the small towns, Wal-Marts have turned literal ghost towns into thriving areas. Take Hartsville for example. Ever since they built that Wal-Mart, residents in the Pee Dee have a closer place to get their goods. Now Hartsville is starting to thrive, DT has redeveloped, and it even has nice places to eat. That never happened before Wal-Mart came to the town.

Can you say it's evil? I don't know. If there is one company that I think is pure evil, it is the organization trying to incorporate James Island! :D

Hartsville does not owe its success to Wal-Mart. If Sonoco weren't there. then that town would be truely desolate. I think that The timing of walmart there is purely coincidental.

The shag dance mainly originated around Ocean Drive town which is now part of North Myrtle Beach (different city). In the 60s the towns of Ocean Drive, Crescent Beach, Cherry Grove dissolved themselves it the city of North Myrtle Beach. Atlantic Beach which sits in the middle of this did not join them because it was the Black beach. The northern most town in Horry county, Little River, remains an independant town.

I do believe the section around the Myrtle Beach pavillion has gotten quite trashy and now caters to low life people, (this also happened in the 70s) and most likely something will be done to fix it as I have heard many people say they no longer will go to Myrtle Beach for the reasons that Northman mentioned. This entire area, BTW is owned by B&C.

Speaking on "evil" companies, I wonder if you want to add West Point Stevens and Springs Industries to that list. Both textile companies have laid off workers and closed numerous plants in the past few years. I'm sure otehr textiles companies can go here, because tehy do nto seem to have a future in this state.

I drove through the area around the pavillion this summer did not seem bad to me. MB has done some fairly nice streetscaping in that area.

Myrtle Beach in the last few years has made the most improvements to making the city look nicer out of all of the towns throughout the Grand Strand (not to say the other towns are not nice). Transportation wise in M.B., i like how many traffic signals are mast arms with "yield on green" doghouse signals.

do any of you think there could ultimately be one day a decline of myrtle beach? For instance Waccamaw is desolate and the factory stores on 501 dont seem to be real active when i go by there. If people trend away from tourist traps like intelligent people would then there could be some real economic problems coming down the pipe. MB needs to diversify its economy.

Speaking on "evil" companies, I wonder if you want to add West Point Stevens and Springs Industries to that list. Both textile companies have laid off workers and closed numerous plants in the past few years. I'm sure otehr textiles companies can go here, because tehy do nto seem to have a future in this state.

They don't have a future in America, period. All of those jobs have gone, or are going, overseas.

do any of you think there could ultimately be one day a decline of myrtle beach? For instance Waccamaw is desolate and the factory stores on 501 dont seem to be real active when i go by there. If people trend away from tourist traps like intelligent people would then there could be some real economic problems coming down the pipe. MB needs to diversify its economy.

No I don't think so. Waccamaw died off everywhere. I think it didn't keep up with more modern outlet malls. They just opened another Tanger outlet mall in Myrtle Beach (which makes 2) which was absolutely packed over Thanksgiving for shopping. The land were Waccamaw sits is extremely valuable as it borders the intercoastal waterway. Something will end up going there as there are condos being built up and down the waterway now.

Myrtle's Beach's biggest problem is that it is too successful.

Archived