SC's most "evil" companies

upstate29650

Not really. Their strike is against the law, so it should not have happened in the first place. They are just shooting themselves in the foot, along with everyone else that lives in New York and anyone who is unfortunate enough to be visiting there.

Of course we all know that every law on the books is just and fair. Let's see, in SC fornication is illegal as is any kind of sex except that which is fun. How many unconvicted felons post on this board?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since when is it illegal for people to refuse to come to work because they don't feel they are being treated fairly by management? I don't understand why there is such indignation against workers looking out for their rights yet at the same time, everyone is quite happy for CEOs to pay themselves exhorbant salaries while they send thousands of jobs to overseas locations. Something is really warped about that.

There is fabulous wealth in NYC and I don't really have a problem if some of that prosperity is spent on the people that make it possible.

Its illegal for government workers to go on strike because they provide a critical service to the citizens of their community, like transportation.

These workers aren't being treated unfairly anyway, they already make better salaries than teachers, firemen, and policemen, etc in NYC. Their superiors are government employees who have a regularted salary. They don't have much to complain about, IMO.

In this situation, the government workers think that their rights are superior to those of the citizens they serve.

In this situation, the government workers think that their rights are superior to those of the citizens they serve.

Yet again there is not outcry at CEO's who think the same thing and are in a position to do much more damage to the long term economy than a few subway workers. I don't think the transit workers feel they are superior to the citizens they serve. They are asking for a piece of the NYC gold pile that others are very greedy to take and not share with anyone.

The mayor of NYC spends something like $76 million to get reelected and transit workers can't get a measly 6% raise.

I'd KILL for a "measly" 6% raise! Nowadays, the standard is 2 to 3%. 6% is significant...and very expensive to fund.

Of course, if those workers wanted more money, they could look elsewhere for employment. But something tells me they won't do that. As with many who are in unions, they have an entitlement mindset: More money & benefits for less work.

Whatever happened to the idea that if you wanted to make more money & your employer just won't pay more, you'd expand on your skills, put together a resume...AND FIND A NEW JOB??!! :rolleyes:

That issue in NYC isn't about a raise. It is about pensions, currently 2% of their paycheck goes to their pension, the Government is raising it to 6% of their paycheck. That is why they are striking. And it is a dumb reason, it is costing NYC businesses $400,000,000 a day in lost business, and it is hurting the small business owners the most.

The union is being fined $1,000,000 a day, hardly enough, they should throw the union bosses in jail like they have been threatening to do.

Again I wonder about the double standard where subway workers are vilified for asking for more money yet nobody is crying about executives that raid company pension plans to stuff their own pockets, and sending millions of jobs overseas. It is a dog eat dog attitude that has invaded this country and is reducing it to a small # of very rich people, a disappearing middle class, and a very large and struggling underclass. One only has to drive down I-26 through SC and take a few detours to see entire towns suffering from this already.

It is my opinion that people should not get raises (outside of cost of living increases) just because they want them. I believe that pay increases should come from ones own merit, not from threats.

The differenence that I am seeing here is you believe that the boss man and these few rich people are out to screw the little guy, and I believe that they are not. Certainly it is an issue in some circumstances, but as I said before, how many CEO's and what not are not corrupt? It by far out numbers those that are.

You talk about the CEOs sending jobs overseas but it is very often cited that the reason is that it costs too much to produce in America, which can very easily be attributed to high wages- among other things. I am certainly not saying that I want people to get paid less, but it is an issue that one must recognize when discussing this issue.

Back to New York-

This is directly from CNN: "The strike violates New York's Taylor Law, which forbids public employees to walk off the job." It is not a double standard because it is very simply illegal. I don't see how it could be more clear.

Accorind to CNN, the government only wants them to contribute more of their own money in to their own retirement funds. It is not an outrageous action. I would hardly call it screwing the workers when they are going to get the money back at some point.

These are government employees, so their money comes from their own people- and it stays here. This overseas business does not apply to the NYC situation. I don't know anything about New York's budget, so perhaps you are right. Maybe the city CAN afford to pay out more money. I don't know. What I do know is that their actions only reinfoce my views on worker unions in this day and age.

That issue in NYC isn't about a raise. It is about pensions, currently 2% of their paycheck goes to their pension, the Government is raising it to 6% of their paycheck. That is why they are striking. And it is a dumb reason, it is costing NYC businesses $400,000,000 a day in lost business, and it is hurting the small business owners the most.

The union is being fined $1,000,000 a day, hardly enough, they should throw the union bosses in jail like they have been threatening to do.

They are also taking 2 days pay from each employee for every one day absent.

You're right on track, Spartan. This isn't some corporation where a strike affects only "greedy" CEOs and their stockholders. This is affecting an entire city, and it is ILLEGAL. Period. There's no way around it. I'm hearing on the radio that the judge is threatening to throw the union bosses in jail by a certain deadline. So be it.

Let's put this in perspective...if transit workers can strike, then does that mean police and firemen can too? Would it be just fine to let parts of a city burn down and crime run rampant because those people couldn't get a 6% raise or get their pension rates lowered?!?!? :blink:

How about a national perspective: how would we like it if our military servicemembers went on strike because they weren't getting "fair pay"? In the military, you would be court-martialed and tried for treason!!!

How about a national perspective: how would we like it if our military servicemembers went on strike because they weren't getting "fair pay"? In the military, you would be court-martialed and tried for treason!!!

That is a pretty disingenuious argument. When you sign up for the military, you surrender certain of your civil rights including the freedom to decide when and where you want to work. It is irrelevant to this discussion. The people running the subway are not in the military and they don't report to military commanders.

If it is against the law then why hasn't the judge jailed some of the leaders? That is because the mayor saying it so, doesn't make it so. The validity of laws are decided in court.

That is a pretty disingenuious argument. When you sign up for the military, you surrender certain of your civil rights including the freedom to decide when and where you want to work. It is irrelevant to this discussion. The people running the subway are not in the military and they don't report to military commanders.

If it is against the law then why hasn't the judge jailed some of the leaders? That is because the mayor saying it so, doesn't make it so. The validity of laws are decided in court.

I'm just making a hypothetical situation. Of course, it can't really be done, but imagine the chaos if it was allowed. As far as the mayor, he has not been threatening jailtime, but the judge will jail the leaders if certain things aren't straightened out. He's already stipulated this ultimatum.

I don't know the name of the judge or what court he sits on, but he's already levying $1,000,000.00/day fines against the union for each day they're on strike...and he made mention that the union leaders are facing jail time.

Yall remember what Ronald Regan did when the Air Traffic Controllers decided to strike?

I do, and the striking controllers deserved to lose their jobs! It is illegal for members of PATCO to strike, as their job function is essential to public safety, and it also represents Federal employees, who are forbidden to strike.

I do, and the striking controllers deserved to lose their jobs! It is illegal for members of PATCO to strike, as their job function is essential to public safety, and it also represents Federal employees, who are forbidden to strike.

Absolutely, upstate! I just got word on the radio that the strike has been lifted and workers are to go back to their jobs at the start of the next shift.

Businesses are in business solely to make money. Employees have to look out for themselves because many employers will not. I agree with Metro.

Uhh..you're just figuring this out? :blink: And you're right, employees do need to look out for themselves. If you dislike a job, find a new one. Be responsible for your own retirement savings. It's your life, not your boss'. Do what's best for you.

Uhh..you're just figuring this out? :blink: And you're right, employees do need to look out for themselves. If you dislike a job, find a new one. Be responsible for your own retirement savings. It's your life, not your boss'. Do what's best for you.

It should be noted the city has backed down from its proposal to cut benefits to the city's transit workers so the strike served its intended purpose. If the city had been willing to do this before the strike, the entire mess could have been avoided. Fortunately there are a few places left in the USA where people can still earn a living wage for honest and needed word and even gain entry to the middle class.

In my mind this is far preferable to the situation that we find in SC where most of the jobs are very low wage, come with no benefits, and go to illegal aliens because real citizens can't afford to live on the wages paid by these jobs.

Thats a huge blanket statment to make. Thats not to say that there is no truth to it, but I don't think the situation is as dire as you make it sound.

The transit workers should not have had a strike to begin with. I still contend that the blame should not fall to the city. But kudos to them for being the 'bigger person' and doing what it takes to remedy the situation. I don't know that it makes that much of a difference in New York though. Housing is so expensive there that many of those middle class workers likely don't even live in the city.

Housing is so expensive there that many of those middle class workers likely don't even live in the city.

Its not unusual the middle class are squeezed out into the Poconos or the Albany-greater Capital region to escape the high cost of living in the NYC metro area. Long Island, most of Connecticut and the northern half of New Jersey is becoming if not already too expensive for middle class people to live there as well.

In my mind this is far preferable to the situation that we find in SC where most of the jobs are very low wage, come with no benefits, and go to illegal aliens because real citizens can't afford to live on the wages paid by these jobs.

If the illegal aliens can afford to live on those salaries so can other americans. People got to start realizing that certain things in life are luxeries and not necessities. Like cable television, beer and ciegerettes, air conditioning, etc.

I remember in high school there were "poor kids" who dressed better than most other students. Fashion is not a necessity. I am wearing a $10 pair of old navy jeans I have had for 5 years. Talk about value, but I remember my High school having plenty of "poor" kids wearing Nautica and Tommy. If people learned to cut back they could live on their salaries.

Archived