Shackleford Crossings

Louisville is a smaller, cleaner, and nicer Memphis. They don't have as much crime for a city that size. Bigger Little Rock in some ways, but better in a lot of ways too.The Derby and UofL/Speed School effects almost everything. Louisville has race & class issues, Derby really shows this flaw. Tale of four cities in April and May... Whites with money, blacks with money, whites with no money and blacks with no money. They try to hide the last two during Derby, instead of improving the lifestyles and spending the tons of money they make off Derby.

Louisville has had the same Mayor forever "Jerry Abramson" . I was in grade school when he was elected to office the first time. Does that tell you anything. I will be 32 Sunday, but it wasn't "Louisville Metro" then. The schools are better than Little Rock, but they still have issues. I loved the Performing Arts school. I wish we had some of the mentor programs here.

The parks a lot better,I miss the parks. My family is big on the parks. I guess that is why I was smaller when in the other cities. We walked and taking the TARC in Louisville was not a big deal.

I love Old Louisville{think Heights, but bigger and better}. Great arts events, galleries and the Zoo is nice, the museums too "Museum Row".I grew up in "J'town (farm land+years=the suburbs} our West Little Rock/Pleasant Valley area, but it is called the East End. So, I was shocked again when I got here.

Louisville is also a short drive to other nice size cities, Nashville, Nap Town, Chicago, St.Louis and Ohio cities.

I tell everyone to go to the Art center/museum row,The Kentucky Derby week, Kingfish and have a real Mint Julep at least once. My husband loves Louisville. When my mother leaves Little Rock, I plan to move back and retire. Almost all of my other family members live in that area of the world.

I would type forever about Louisville. I love that city flaws and all.

PS

No, I am really new. I startd reading this site I was home recovering from my heart surgery last winter. I forgot about it still now.

P.S.S

found online at louisville.gov

"Jerry Abramson

I drove out to Shackleford Crossing today for the first time to take a look, and its sad to see such a great piece of architecture go to waste. Makes me wish there was some way to pull the plug on the Wal-Mart. I hate to see all those empty storefronts. I hope they are able to make it into something, even if it has to be TJ Maxx, Goody's, Dollar Tree, and more cell phone shops.

I haven't been in the development in a while. Is there anything else open besides JC Penney, Craker Barrel, Rack Room Shoes, Babies R Us and the AT&T Store.

No, sadly there is not. Its a very nice development sitting almost completely empty.

Let's give this development some time. The infrastructure/chassis is there regarding nice architecture...that's not changing. The tenant makeup can evolve over time. Here's to hoping that it comes into its own....

Thanks for the summary. I don't really envision Louisville as being smaller than Memphis, though I guess that may be technically true (is this true for actual city (now county?!) population, MSA, or both?). Certainly it seems that Louisville may have a more prominent skyline.

MSA?? Never thought about it before.

Biggest Well, it is hard to answer that question, because Memphis seems to keep taking over all the areas around it ...it truly is the Mid south, everything south of Jackson, Tn. Then I truly wonder if they count Southhaven,MS and those areas around it.

With Louisville it truly depends on how the population is calculated.

Growing up we were always told Memphis was huge. Then I moved to Memphis ...If you include Germantown, Southhaven, Bartlett, Cordova and Collerville...yes sure...Memphis is what ...Music,Pork and crime ?????

Louisville skyline is beautiful. A wonderful city.

Louisville also did not have the tough times Memphis has put itself in over the years, with bad management "Crump".

I lot of downtown Louisville rebuilding/redevelopment starting in the 80s vs the 90s and even 2000s. Also, a lot of Louisville never died out either with the flight to the suburbs.

Louisville has or had B&W, Humana, UOFL, GE, KFCHQ, The Med/Dental school. They have more than two major health center and always have. Norton, University, Jewish, Baptist and St. Mary Hospitals

Then there is The Derby and other jobs, their historic hotels were booked during racing season and other activities in that area. The Art center built in downtown riverfront was built in the 80s. The Galt House was expanded in the late 80's. Louisville's population shift was a mixed bag. Some whites went futher East to the farm land to built huge homes . Some blacks (businessmen, doctors, and professors) moved into parts of downtowns old historic homes , some areas stayed mixed. Thus you still had money flowing and the need for a active downtown and suburban area. Louisville didn't have to try so hard to redevelop and they started sooner. Parts of Memphis and Little Rock downtown were dead after 5 during the late 80s and early 90s.

Biggest problem is Arkansas POLITICS AND LACK OF PARTNERSHIP...I'M THE RICHEST..no me ...NO US ...what am I going to get for this ...where is my cut and education/training ... UAMS/ACH/UALR/ should be the most imporant part of Little Rock.

Edited by candacet

Just a quick, off-topic response to the Louisville, Memphis conversation. King Willie Harrington, mayor of Memphis, is currently pushing the 13-year-old proposal to consolidate the Shelby county governments. This would be great for Memphis, but terrible for Collierville, Germantown, Bartlett and the county as all the welfare recipients and Harrington backers in Memphis would be living off the tax dollars of those outside of Memphis. However, it's not gonna fly.

Just a quick, off-topic response to the Louisville, Memphis conversation. King Willie Harrington, mayor of Memphis, is currently pushing the 13-year-old proposal to consolidate the Shelby county governments. This would be great for Memphis, but terrible for Collierville, Germantown, Bartlett and the county as all the welfare recipients and Harrington backers in Memphis would be living off the tax dollars of those outside of Memphis. However, it's not gonna fly.

Boy, Shelby Co would just empty out if that happened.

A lot of us in Pulaski Co support the same idea here but the difference is that incomes in LR are higher than that of the county as a whole, not lower.

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious, what does one do at Comcast? I didn't realize people actually went there for something other than to beotch at them for their service and excruciatingly high cost.

+1 on the cost.... :thumbsup:

Dude, you just gotta get a higher paying job, then the cost won't matter.

+1 on the humor. That's just funny! :yahoo:

• 3 weeks later...

I drove out there the other day. It looks like Rack Room Shoes and a couple of cell phone stores (AT&T, etc) have opened but man does it seem empty. There's a ton of retail space and no tenants yet. What gives?

I am wondering when tenants will start to fill in, or even IF they will. The guy in the AT&T store said that more stuff was supposed to be coming in this summer. I hope that when the supercenter gets finished it will have enough gravity to bring in tenants like TJ-Maxx, Big Lots, Goody's, Supercuts, Sally Beauty Supply, Cato, and some new fast food/low-end restaurants. I know Shackleford Crossing deserves better, but its not going to get it and I would rather see a value-oriented development than an empty development.

Last I heard Copeland's was going to be coming to Shackleford. Does anybody know if this is still happening? At one time Carrabba's and Abuelo's was coming to Shackleford but they pulled out when Wal-Mart was announced.

I drove out there the other day. It looks like Rack Room Shoes and a couple of cell phone stores (AT&T, etc) have opened but man does it seem empty. There's a ton of retail space and no tenants yet. What gives?

Wal-Mart (is what gives).

I'm glad Sears is staying on University to create synergy with Park Avenue, but it makes one wonder why Clary Development didn't pursue them as a tenant in tandem with J.C. Penny. Also, one would imagine, looking back, that Parisian/Belk regrets their current location at Pleasant Ridge. Shackleford is a premium location and frankly, nicer development.

Is there any chance that this place could turn around? I know its still young? but damn, I would hate to see a TJ maxx. Not that im hating on them, but that place is so nice! It deserves better! I wish the developer would have tryed harder to keep it together! Is Copelands a nice place to eat?

Not sure about Copeland's. From the website it looks decent for a chain and should fit the demographic well. They have been in NWA for a while now, and it will be nice to have them in LR.

Edited by bchris02

Is there any chance that this place could turn around? I know its still young? but damn, I would hate to see a TJ maxx. Not that im hating on them, but that place is so nice! It deserves better! I wish the developer would have tryed harder to keep it together! Is Copelands a nice place to eat?

I liked TJ Maxx until they had a security breach. They have good kitchen stuff, Al Clad, Berndes, Kaiser. If you've ever eaten at Sarabeth's in NYC, TJ Maxx carries their jellies. It is funky stuff like blueberry-cherry and orange-apricot.