Shackleford Crossings

Yes. Copeland's is a VERY nice restaurant. Upscale and high quality. I'm kind of surprised its locating at Shackleford, but excited none-the-less. Though now that I think about it, the Roger's location is in an even lesser development.

I wouldn't put Copeland's in THAT category. It's decent but more like Mimi's or Red Lobster than anything else in terms of tier. It's no Cheesecake Factory.

I was hugely disappointed with the Rogers Copeland's when I ate there. Mediocre food and service. Underage waitress that couldn't serve drinks so the drinks took forever to get there as the bartender had to bring them out. I don't think the Arkansas product is the same as the St Charles product.

I wouldn't put Copeland's in THAT category. It's decent but more like Mimi's or Red Lobster than anything else in terms of tier. It's no Cheesecake Factory.

I was hugely disappointed with the Rogers Copeland's when I ate there. Mediocre food and service. Underage waitress that couldn't serve drinks so the drinks took forever to get there as the bartender had to bring them out. I don't think the Arkansas product is the same as the St Charles product.

Absolutely no way Red Lobster is of the same caliber as Copelands. You've had a bad experience. I've eaten at a half dozen Copelands locations (including Rogers) and have had exceptional food, service and atmosphere each time.

Absolutely no way Red Lobster is of the same caliber as Copelands. You've had a bad experience. I've eaten at a half dozen Copelands locations (including Rogers) and have had exceptional food, service and atmosphere each time.

I can tell you I've eaten at that many as well and I've never found the same quality outside of southern Louisiana. I would still say there's a dropoff between the one on St Charles in Uptown and the one in Metarie but they were both decent.

The Rogers one blew on two occasions and I am guessing it's not doing well as on both occasions there should've been a huge crowd (UA football game weekend) and it was only half full.

What does this mean? I don't follow.....

I was asking if existing retailers are suffering because of the lack of more high-profile tenants bringing traffic to the center. It seems very dead every time ive been over there. Then again, I haven't been but twice and both times it was after 7pm on a weeknight. Any input?

I was asking if existing retailers are suffering because of the lack of more high-profile tenants bringing traffic to the center. It seems very dead every time ive been over there. Then again, I haven't been but twice and both times it was after 7pm on a weeknight. Any input?

Well, it is "dead" mainly because it just opened, and as far as "poor location," I don't follow. I would suggest that Shackleford Crossing is the most high profile location of all the current developments.

Does anybody know what kind of business the existing tenants at Shackleford are doing? i.e. Babies R Us, JC Penney, att, etc? Shackleford has become a dead center in a poor location and that can't be good for the existing tenants.

1. Great location with easy interstate and road access, that's not the issue

2. I think Penney's has at least doubled their traffic

I think the problem is the lifestyle center design was not appropriately modified when Belk's was replaced by Wallyworld and Dunlap's pulled out. That significantly downgraded the profile of the center and your typical mall tenants aren't going to jump into this center the way they would've otherwise. I think it should've been redesigned as a power center with more big box space and would allow big box furniture, toy and electronic stores better freeway access and visibility than Chenal/Financial Centre does. I think Clary made an error much like Schickel did but Schickel has been fortunate to attract a host of quality local businesses because he built an attractive center in a high-income area (he also caved on his rents some). I don't think Clary will be so lucky.

1. Great location with easy interstate and road access, that's not the issue

2. I think Penney's has at least doubled their traffic

I think the problem is the lifestyle center design was not appropriately modified when Belk's was replaced by Wallyworld and Dunlap's pulled out. That significantly downgraded the profile of the center and your typical mall tenants aren't going to jump into this center the way they would've otherwise. I think it should've been redesigned as a power center with more big box space and would allow big box furniture, toy and electronic stores better freeway access and visibility than Chenal/Financial Centre does. I think Clary made an error much like Schickel did but Schickel has been fortunate to attract a host of quality local businesses because he built an attractive center in a high-income area (he also caved on his rents some). I don't think Clary will be so lucky.

Ah, so its not as much the presence of Wal-Mart in the center but rather how it has been implemented? Do you think this center will eventually be able to attract tenants, or are we looking at permanently vacant storefronts?

And I agree it would be better as a power center. It would be nice if somehow LR could attract a computer store like Fry's or MicroCenter. Unless we have a real high profile development I don't see it happening.

Edited by bchris02

Ah, so its not as much the presence of Wal-Mart in the center but rather how it has been implemented? Do you think this center will eventually be able to attract tenants, or are we looking at permanently vacant storefronts?

And I agree it would be better as a power center. It would be nice if somehow LR could attract a computer store like Fry's or MicroCenter. Unless we have a real high profile development I don't see it happening.

No, I think he IS saying that the tenant shakeup resulting in Wal-Mart being a tenant was the biggest problem. I would agree.

And yes, Clary realized quite some time ago that this would be a "Power" center (larger box, less exclusive tenant mix) rather than a "Lifestyle" center.

No, I think he IS saying that the tenant shakeup resulting in Wal-Mart being a tenant was the biggest problem. I would agree.

And yes, Clary realized quite some time ago that this would be a "Power" center (larger box, less exclusive tenant mix) rather than a "Lifestyle" center.

There are way too many small storefronts in this development. I think it should've gone primarily big-box and because it didn't there will be empty storefronts. The smaller local shops are going into other developments, primarily Pleasant Ridge. I just don't know what's going to end up there now. I think Clary modified the plan, just not nearly enough.

• 2 weeks later...

I drove around the place today and it is a new ghost town. All the empty stores, crazy to me. Copelands is coming along, it's going to be a nice size, front and center facing the road. A nail shop is going in...great we needed another.

Edited by candacet

I drove around the place today and it is a new ghost town. All the empty stores, crazy to me. Copelands is coming along, it's going to be a nice size, front and center facing the road. A nail shop is going in...great we needed another.

That is just plain sad especially considering what could have been at that site. Instead of the premier mall in the state and a shot at landing high profile tenants like Nordstrom, we get a mediocre empty strip mall and a Wal-Mart Supercenter. What will happen to the "lifestyle" portion if they are unable to attract tenants? A lot of money was spent there for just wasted retail space.

That is just plain sad especially considering what could have been at that site. Instead of the premier mall in the state and a shot at landing high profile tenants like Nordstrom, we get a mediocre empty strip mall and a Wal-Mart Supercenter. What will happen to the "lifestyle" portion if they are unable to attract tenants? A lot of money was spent there for just wasted retail space.

Clary's going to lose his tail on this.

I'm sure all of that will fill eventually but it will be to lower end stores at lower rents.

Even if Shackleford Crossing were upscale, I highly doubt you would see a Nordstrom. Little Rock's metro area in terms of population just isn't big enough to support one. There are cities almost twice the size as Little Rock that still don't have one.

Ark Times is reporting Copelands, Texas Roadhouse (there is one already in NLR), and Zaxby's have signed lease agreements at SC. Samurai Steakhouse and Panda Chinese Buffet, both local operations, have also signed. Four other restaurant spaces are left. Other than Copelands, nothing too exciting. I hope the four remaining spots are filled with better options.

We drove out to SC yesterday and it was sad. The AT&T store had people holding signs to beg people to come to their store. It is very dead and quiet out there. A cheapo dress shop and another cheapo shoe store have opened near the AT&T store. Very dissapointing considering the potential of the location. I think the whole center looks very cheap and will be outdated within a few years. They need more national names in there to generate any traffic. I see it going the way of Pleasant Ridge where as they were hoping for national names and were stuck with local names. At least Pleasant Ridge got higher end stores where as SC will be stuck with very low end shops. I can not see myself going out there very often if at all. Clary Development really dropped the ball on this one!

Ark Times is reporting Copelands, Texas Roadhouse (there is one already in NLR), and Zaxby's have signed lease agreements at SC. Samurai Steakhouse and Panda Chinese Buffet, both local operations, have also signed. Four other restaurant spaces are left. Other than Copelands, nothing too exciting. I hope the four remaining spots are filled with better options.

We drove out to SC yesterday and it was sad. The AT&T store had people holding signs to beg people to come to their store. It is very dead and quiet out there. A cheapo dress shop and another cheapo shoe store have opened near the AT&T store. Very dissapointing considering the potential of the location. I think the whole center looks very cheap and will be outdated within a few years. They need more national names in there to generate any traffic. I see it going the way of Pleasant Ridge where as they were hoping for national names and were stuck with local names. At least Pleasant Ridge got higher end stores where as SC will be stuck with very low end shops. I can not see myself going out there very often if at all. Clary Development really dropped the ball on this one!

Guys - let me weigh in. Frankly, I think the only thing disappointing about Shackleford Crossing(s) - yes there is an 's' at the end - is the lack of viable tenants. Some of this is in Clary's control (caving and letting Wal-Mart in as a desperate measure (why not have left it open until something legitimate came along?)), and some of it is not (the market downturn, and more significantly, the glut of retail space in Little Rock).

But as far as the development itself, I think it's quite nice. In fact, I think its A LOT nicer than Pleasant Ridge - with its awkwardly proportioned architecture and its CRAPPY layout, which isn't pedestrian friendly in the least (come to think of it, I can't even find my way around in a car either - its confusing). PR is no more than a parking lot with some stores around the edge - there's nothing "Lifestyle" about it. At least Shackleford Crossing attempts to create a central "street" that's pedestrian friendly, and I don't think its style is any more trendy or at risk of being outdated than Pleasant Ridge (though both leave something to be desired).

So short of caving on Wal-Mart (and admittedly, that's a pretty big deal), in what way did Clary drop the ball? Remember that Clary stated that this will be a "power" center, not a "lifestyle" center - so expectations should be set accordingly:

It's a GREAT location

The architecture is fairly nice (nicer than Pleasant Ridge, not as nice as Promenade at Chenal)

The pedestrian friendly planning is quite an amenity (missing at PR)

The larger tenants and very respectable (JC Penny, Babies R Us, Cracker Barrel, Copeland's, etc.)

In short, though the Wal-Mart thing is quite disappointing, I think there's little merit to criticize Clary. Its one of the nicer developed properties in town that's just struggling with a glut of retail space. I think long-term, it will do quite well.

As much as I dislike the fact that Wal-Mart is part of the development, I am hoping that the traffic it brings in will be enough to sustain the businesses already in the center and bring new ones in, even if they are value-oriented. When Wal-Mart signed on, Clary should have adjusted the plans removing the lifestyle portion and going for a true big box oriented power center. Clary should have had the brains to realize that Wal-Mart and lifestyle center don't go together.