Shackleford Crossings

Sadly, this person was serious. They said that the District at Pinnacle Hills development would rival Rodeo Drive and attract retailers such as Nordstrom, Gucci, Georgio Armani, Louis Vuitton, etc to Rogers. There may be money in Rogers, but not the kind of money it takes to sustain those retailers, and NWA isn't enough of a regional draw. I don't think even LR will ever have a shot at any of those retailers save possibly Nordstrom, and even that would take the perfect development which we don't have right now.

I 100% agree with that analysis. I'd love to have a Nordstrom, but it would be a stretch and I don't see the right development for it right now.

Sadly, this person was serious. They said that the District at Pinnacle Hills development would rival Rodeo Drive and attract retailers such as Nordstrom, Gucci, Georgio Armani, Louis Vuitton, etc to Rogers. There may be money in Rogers, but not the kind of money it takes to sustain those retailers, and NWA isn't enough of a regional draw. I don't think even LR will ever have a shot at any of those retailers save possibly Nordstrom, and even that would take the perfect development which we don't have right now.

bchris02 - a link to the discussion? I'd like to comment...because that is ridiculous. I was just in Beverly Hills last week. To say that there is ANY city west of the Mississippi River to compare with that is a joke.

bchris02 - a link to the discussion? I'd like to comment...because that is ridiculous. I was just in Beverly Hills last week. To say that there is ANY city west of the Mississippi River to compare with that is a joke.

Just browse the Arkansas section if the city-data.com forums. That forum is a relocation info forum and its NWA dominated and you'll see all kinds of ridiculous stuff like this. Last week somebody posted on there about moving to LR and here is what a wise poster from NWA had to say:

... moving to Little Rock, Arkansas will be like relocating to a third world country for you and your family.

Little Rock schools and public schools in most of the surrounding towns are awful, the job market in central Arkansas is mediocre at best, and culturally the area is 25 years behind times.

The state of Arkansas has witnessed a major shift in political and financial power from Central Arkansas to Northwest Arkansas (Bentonville / Fayetteville) over the last 10-15 years and Little Rock / Central Arkansas is struggling with this swift castration of it

Edited by bchris02

Just browse the Arkansas section if the city-data.com forums. That forum is a relocation info forum and its NWA dominated and you'll see all kinds of ridiculous stuff like this. Last week somebody posted on there about moving to LR and here is what a wise poster from NWA had to say:

Don't waste your time trying to defend LR on that forum. And yeah, Ro-dee-oh is more like it. Another developer in NWA who is developing the Steps at Joyce, a new mixed use project in Fayetteville is also comparing his project to Rodeo Drive.

Wow. Just found that post. I'm not surprised that some (many) people actually believe their own "reality distortion field" about NWA and (conversely LR), but the fact that this person actually posted it in a derogatory/inflammatory way just to bomb the discussion reveals ignorance of the highest order.

Wow. Just found that post. I'm not surprised that some (many) people actually believe their own "reality distortion field" about NWA and (conversely LR), but the fact that this person actually posted it in a derogatory/inflammatory way just to bomb the discussion reveals ignorance of the highest order.

What thread is that one in? I just went fishing for it and couldn't find it. I can't leave that alone.

Sorry...I wasn't clear. It was spot on except for the fact that he DIDN'T state he was a "delusional moron"!

That would have gotten edited or deleted entirely so it's good he didn't. That board seems rife with riff-raff so the mods have to play the role of thought police over there.

That would have gotten edited or deleted entirely so it's good he didn't. That board seems rife with riff-raff so the mods have to play the role of thought police over there.

Thats the impression I got. I don't think I will make a second visit to that page. It just seemed like alot of NWA people trying to pump up their sprawl by bashing LR. You know what they say, when you have to bash others to make yourself look good you never had anything to begin with. Which is unfortunate because NWA has alot going for it, I don't see the need in it.

I sound like my parents, I am getting old. :)

Edited by ndark

Thats the impression I got. I don't think I will make a second visit to that page. It just seemed like alot of NWA people trying to pump up their sprawl by bashing LR. You know what they say, when you have to bash others to make yourself look good you never had anything to begin with. Which is unfortunate because NWA has alot going for it, I don't see the need in it.

I sound like my parents, I am getting old. :)

Everywhere bashes everywhere else over there it seems. Lots of subjective opinions and "feelings" and "I got the impression when I drove through" type stuff. Nice sweeping generalizations from individuals with specific agendas with little to no long term direct experience with an area. We get it here too but it doesn't seem as bad. I thought we were all on the same team personally but you sure wouldn't know it reading some of the extremely biased posts about some areas of our fine state over there.

Personally, I think they've relocated University Mall. While Wal-Mart will keep it from becoming a dying shopping center for now, we all know that, in a few years, they'll move. After all, west LR has already had three Wal-Mart locations (Burlington Coat, Hobby Lobby and current). They've all been able to find new tenants, but if no one is attracted to this shopping center for anything but Wal-Mart, that will be difficult.

I predict occupancy never above 75%, then discounted leases that lead to lower end retailers (nail shops are already proof of that).

Such a tremendous waste of a high-profile space. I think this center is an embarassment to the city especially when considering what could have been.

I think it all was losing Belk's and replacing it with Wal-mart. Funny how Belk's buying Parisian punched two major LR developments right in the mouth.

I think it all was losing Belk's and replacing it with Wal-mart. Funny how Belk's buying Parisian punched two major LR developments right in the mouth.

LR has really had some bad luck in all this. If Summit Mall would have been built we would currently have a retail market on the level of cities like Baton Rouge, Des Moines, or maybe even Tulsa, but instead we are stuck trying to compete with NWA. Kinda sad really.

LR has really had some bad luck in all this. If Summit Mall would have been built we would currently have a retail market on the level of cities like Baton Rouge, Des Moines, or maybe even Tulsa, but instead we are stuck trying to compete with NWA. Kinda sad really.

In all fairness this weird fractious "Lifestyle Center" thing is what's occurring in other markets as well. It had more to do with timing.

...and I still think Baton Rouge and Des Moines are better comparitors than NWA.

In all fairness this weird fractious "Lifestyle Center" thing is what's occurring in other markets as well. It had more to do with timing.

...and I still think Baton Rouge and Des Moines are better comparitors than NWA.

Yeah, these things are huge everywhere. In 10 years we'll recognize and malign them for what they are: the modern incarnation of the strip mall.

Yeah, these things are huge everywhere. In 10 years we'll recognize and malign them for what they are: the modern incarnation of the strip mall.

Well, I understand why they came to be. Traditional malls are expensive because of the enclosed area - both in terms of utilities and in terms of construction costs. They have far less flexibility to add or modify spaces and cost far more to remodel. Furthermore most of America's population is in the Sun Belt where most of the year the weather is nice enough to walk around outdoors and that percentage of the population is growing.

The next step, though, was for developers to wonder why they should build a million SF outdoor mall when you can build three smaller outdoor malls with fewer parking and traffic issues? If you know which stores or restaurants you are visiting isn't it easier to go to the smaller development? I guess it is, though I would also argue it makes it less of a shopping destination when you can't find all of your stores in one location.

I like the outdoor mall over the indoor versions, but I would prefer the developments to be more concentrated in a smaller area. With Park Plaza/Park Ave/Midtown we are getting that but elsewhere in town we aren't and West LR retail is as scattered as can be,

I opened this because the old Shackleford Crossings topic was closed for some reason.

Anyway, there are new developments there - Texas Roadhouse and Zaxby's, are now official. Also, Cheddar's, a chain I've seen often in Dallas, will be joining, too. I would assume these are all outparcels, but the article didn't say.