Shackleford Crossings

A couple of interesting points from today's DOG article.

First that Clary thinks they can land Panera in this development. I really don't see Panera going into Shackleford Crossings.

Second that Edwin Watts Golf signed on for an 11,000 sq ft space and that there are talks for a clothing and accessiories retailer that would be new to the market to occupy 50,000 sq ft.

Third, and we knew this, but two hotels a Marriott TownPlace Suites and a Comfort Suites are planned for the development.

Lastly the developers said that many of the retailers are waiting for Wal Mart to open before they open their stores. Wal Mart is now projected to open in Spring 2009 and the developers say that SC will be 90% occupied when Wal Mart opens.

There has been a lot of recent criticism of Shackleford Crossings on this board. In short, how dare this not be another high-end retail center (as if we should expect, or that the market could support every new turn of dirt to be Park Plaza version 4.0).

Yet today's DOG made a poignant observation about the entire market that I think reinforces/legitimizes how the developer (Clary) is "repositioning" the development. Quite simply:

Promenade = high-end

Pleasant Ridge = local boutiques

Shackleford = mainstream, mid-tier retail

Since we're stuck with 3 mid-sized developments, at least there's now some clearing of the fog that might provide clarity to tenants that have been circling the market. And since Clary had hoped (and physically planned) it to be another tier up, we just end up with a nicer mid-tier development than perhaps it deserves (architecturally), and that's certainly not a bad thing - though I think we'd all agree it would have been better serving that role without Wal-Mart.

Note: the article didn't seem to categorize Park Avenue since there's so little known as of yet, but I think we'd all agree that it will become a complement (i.e. "power center") to the higher-end Park Plaza/Midtown Little Rock with bookstores, theaters, large box retail (Target) - all wrapped in a very sophisticated urban infill genre with 3-4 floors of residential above. This should prove to be the first major mixed use development in the market (hopefully not the last) - so direct comparisons to anything else in Central Arkansas will be difficult. But needless to say, it sounds like a perfect fit for Little Rock's midtown, filling a need previously only met by commuting to suburban developments.

There has been a lot of recent criticism of Shackleford Crossings on this board. In short, how dare this not be another high-end retail center (as if we should expect, or that the market could support every new turn of dirt to be Park Plaza version 4.0).

Yet today's DOG made a poignant observation about the entire market that I think reinforces/legitimizes how the developer (Clary) is "repositioning" the development. Quite simply:

Promenade = high-end

Pleasant Ridge = local boutiques

Shackleford = mainstream, mid-tier retail

Since we're stuck with 3 mid-sized developments, at least there's now some clearing of the fog that might provide clarity to tenants that have been circling the market. And since Clary had hoped (and physically planned) it to be another tier up, we just end up with a nicer mid-tier development than perhaps it deserves (architecturally), and that's certainly not a bad thing - though I think we'd all agree it would have been better serving that role without Wal-Mart.

Note: the article didn't seem to categorize Park Avenue since there's so little known as of yet, but I think we'd all agree that it will become a complement (i.e. "power center") to the higher-end Park Plaza/Midtown Little Rock with bookstores, theaters, large box retail (Target) - all wrapped in a very sophisticated urban infill genre with 3-4 floors of residential above. This should prove to be the first major mixed use development in the market (hopefully not the last) - so direct comparisons to anything else in Central Arkansas will be difficult. But needless to say, it sounds like a perfect fit for Little Rock's midtown, filling a need previously only met by commuting to suburban developments.

Thats a nice description of the situation. Its about time that each of the developments define themselves and stop all trying to compete for the top tier tenants. I am hoping he is right about Shackleford being 90% full. If they do the Wal-Mart like the one in Maumelle, it will be a good fit.

...Clary thinks they can land Panera in this development. I really don't see Panera going into Shackleford Crossings.

Panera is not anything special...they're all over NWA in strip centers. If SC's contains a Copeland's, Cracker Barrel, etc. (which it does), I see no reason why Panera is out of the question. Again, I don't understand what is fueling the off-base expectations for this center.

Panera is not anything special...they're all over NWA in strip centers. If SC's contains a Copeland's, Cracker Barrel, etc. (which it does), I see no reason why Panera is out of the question. Again, I don't understand what is fueling the off-base expectations for this center.

I was thinking more location wise. We know a Panera is going in Pleasant Ridge. If one goes into the Promenade then that would be three at 430 and to the west. Too many in the area. I still think one will go in midtowne and one in either downtown or NLR, so that leaves Promenade or Shackleford Crossings. If one goes into Shackleford Crossings that's fine. Shackleford Crossings is what it is and will attract people.

I'm still wondering what the jr. anchor will be. Filling that 50,000 sq ft with the right retailer could change everyone's attitude about SC.

I'm still wondering what the jr. anchor will be. Filling that 50,000 sq ft with the right retailer could change everyone's attitude about SC.

Not that these would necessarily be junior anchors, but what happened to Goody's and TJ Maxx? Both were mentioned as tenants when the center was first announced, but I haven't heard anymore. They would definitely fit with the price level it seems to be targeting.

And does anyone know where all of the announced restaurants are going? I assumed the big chains would be outparcels, but I'm pretty sure when I drove through there that Copeland's will occupy a corner space within the center. How about Texas Roadhouse and Cheddar's?

Not that these would necessarily be junior anchors, but what happened to Goody's and TJ Maxx? Both were mentioned as tenants when the center was first announced, but I haven't heard anymore. They would definitely fit with the price level it seems to be targeting.

And does anyone know where all of the announced restaurants are going? I assumed the big chains would be outparcels, but I'm pretty sure when I drove through there that Copeland's will occupy a corner space within the center. How about Texas Roadhouse and Cheddar's?

I would suspect that Kohl's regrets locating so independently along Chenal Parkway....too bad they didn't end up connecting with Shackleford Crossings. That would have been a great fit.

I would suspect that Kohl's regrets locating so independently along Chenal Parkway....too bad they didn't end up connecting with Shackleford Crossings. That would have been a great fit.

How long is their lease at their current location? Perhaps they move?

I'm pretty sure that Kohl's and Penney's would never be in the same shopping center. Although I know mall anchors that are similar will be in the same center. I can't see it happening there. I do think the Kohl's location is unfortunate. I never got over the fact that they paid the city to cut down all those trees in the Chenal Parkway median so that they would be more visible. That unused trail they've built didn't need to be more open there than anywhere else.

I guess the question is why nothing has ever been built by Kohls??? Everytime I drive by it seems like they have good traffic. Having more options there would only improve that. It would be nice to have a restaurant or Starbucks or something like that. Any thoughts???

The Promenade at Chenal should indirectly help Kohls, as it will bring more traffic out that way and build up a dense retail corridor along far west Chenal.

The Little Rock Planning Commission will hear an item at its May 8th agenda meeting concerning the construction of a four-story Marriot Towne Place Suites at Shackleford Crossing. The hotel is proposed to be built south of (behind) the Wal Mart Supercenter in the area of SC designated for office use (non-retail).

The new issue of Soiree, which features central Arkansas development, has an ad for Shackleford Crossings. The ad features an aerial shot of the center with some type that shows where a few of the new stores and restaurants will be located. Haverty's will be north of Babies R Us, but another store (probably where Dunlap's was going to be), will be in between them. It also shows the locations for the restaurants.

Most interesting is that they include Panera on the map.

The ad (p. 47) really doesn't do much to convey strong branding of the shopping center or an aesthetic, in the way that the ads for Pleasant Ridge Town Center (p. 44) or The Promenade at Chenal (p. 53) portray their respective developments. Still, kudos to Clary for taking the initiative to get the word out among the well-to-do for what is now a "value-oriented" center. After all, people with money like to save money, too.

The new issue of Soiree, which features central Arkansas development, has an ad for Shackleford Crossings. The ad features an aerial shot of the center with some type that shows where a few of the new stores and restaurants will be located. Haverty's will be north of Babies R Us, but another store (probably where Dunlap's was going to be), will be in between them. It also shows the locations for the restaurants.

Most interesting is that they include Panera on the map.

Just as interesting as Panera and Cheddar's being included was that Copeland's was conspicuously missing.

Just as interesting as Panera and Cheddar's being included was that Copeland's was conspicuously missing.

Carrabba's and Abuelos were also originally supposed to be part of this development but they pulled. Think Copeland's has pulled as well?

Edited by bchris02

Carrabba's and Abuelos were also originally supposed to be part of this development but they pulled. Think Copeland's has pulled as well?

I wouldn't be surprised to see all three of these end up together somewhere else. They all want in the market pretty badly.