Shackleford Crossings

• 3 weeks later...

According to Arkansas Business, the new Walmart Super Center should begin construction sometime this month at Shackleford Crossing. The project, which was supposed to start in mid-2008, was delayed because of concerns about soil conditions. Apparently, those concerns have been resolved, and Walmart will purchase the land, later this month. If construction goes as planned, the new center could be open by year

According to the 3/9 issue of Arkansas Business, Haverty's will be open in May. Contracts have been signed for Arby's and Zaxby's, but construction has not begun yet. Comfort Suites construction will begin soon, too.

I think eventually this will develop into a decent mid-tier "power center" though the whole Wal-Mart thing has and will continue to create a strong under-tow. Casualties include Abeulo's Mexican and Carabba's, which at one time were slated to be in this development (though I read that Abeulos problem had to do with financial problems with the local franchise owner - seems like it was affecting a Little Rock and Memphis location).

• 5 months later...

I know this thread has been a dead issue for some time. But I'm wondering if anyone knows what the heck happened to the Wal-Mart that was planned at SC? Last I heard they had been having issues with the soil but had resolved it and purchased the land. I've also heard rumors that the site work was set to start in Sept. But I have seen no signs of life thus far. Anyone have an idea of what happened?

There was a story in ArBusiness several weeks back about how much trouble the developer was in but it seemed from the story that SC was still in the clear when it came down to financial status.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Not sure if anyone noticed but it looks like the Wal-Mart is finally preparing to break ground soon. Not the high-end product that some of us were hoping for. But in light of the development going into receivership while the developer goes into bankruptcy, I think this is a bit of hope in a bleak industry for the time being.

Not sure if anyone noticed but it looks like the Wal-Mart is finally preparing to break ground soon. Not the high-end product that some of us were hoping for. But in light of the development going into receivership while the developer goes into bankruptcy, I think this is a bit of hope in a bleak industry for the time being.

Wow...for Wal-Mart to delay this for YEARS and then break ground after "breaking" the developer is borderline unethical. The fact that Wal-Mart has yet to open critically wounded this project.

p.s. That being said, I think Wal-Mart as an anchor (in lieu of the original Belk) in and of itself hurt the project.

is there some sort of new plan for the center or will it just sit empty for a while?

Now that Walmart is finally starting construction, I think the center will begin to fill up. I think a lot of non-destination retailers decided to wait because of the lack of traffic. It will be interesting to see if new tenants start filling in after the Walmart opening.

is there some sort of new plan for the center or will it just sit empty for a while?

I think that there are some nationwide tenants, especially restaurants, that were supposed to show contingent on Wal-Mart breaking ground. Perhaps some of those leases or land purchases have no disappeared but some of them are still intact. The receiver is supposed to take hold of the project next month. I second with Architect's point that Wal-Mart broke the developer on this project...and that the presence of Wal-Mart diminished its overall appeal from what we all initially hoped would be something better. It was unethical for Wal-Mart to wait this long, downright wrong. From what I know, some issue with the dirt was Wal-Mart's official excuse. The developer is a good guy. He was dealt a really bad hand here.

For those of you who like bagels and coffee, there's a new tenant that will be breaking ground soon on corner across from Texas Roadhouse. I wish them luck and I know they'll do well.

I think that there are some nationwide tenants, especially restaurants, that were supposed to show contingent on Wal-Mart breaking ground. Perhaps some of those leases or land purchases have no disappeared but some of them are still intact. The receiver is supposed to take hold of the project next month. I second with Architect's point that Wal-Mart broke the developer on this project...and that the presence of Wal-Mart diminished its overall appeal from what we all initially hoped would be something better. It was unethical for Wal-Mart to wait this long, downright wrong. From what I know, some issue with the dirt was Wal-Mart's official excuse. The developer is a good guy. He was dealt a really bad hand here.

For those of you who like bagels and coffee, there's a new tenant that will be breaking ground soon on corner across from Texas Roadhouse. I wish them luck and I know they'll do well.

He is a very good guy, who had relationships with Wal-Mart on other developments. I can't believe how unprofessional Wal-Mart's actions were/are.

Are there any requirements for walmart in the design of the building or will it just be the average grey cinder block?

It's probably going to an exact copy of their latest prototype which is off white block/split faced block with brick and dryvit offsets. Pretty much gonna be the same ol same ol Wal Mart. Ugh.

The short answer to that question is, Whatever the heck Wal-Mart wants.

It's probably going to an exact copy of their latest prototype which is off white block/split faced block with brick and dryvit offsets. Pretty much gonna be the same ol same ol Wal Mart. Ugh.

The short answer to that question is, Whatever the heck Wal-Mart wants.

Who cares. With the additional, new (and much nicer) mid-town Target...I couldn't care less what Wal-Mart looks like! :rolleyes:

I've been surprised, I've seen some nice looking Walmarts out west. But it's probably in cities that fought Walmart and Walmart had to make concessions like a nicer looking store to get in. I don't do much shopping at Walmart. But I will say the new inside layout they've been putting in some of their stores is pretty nice here in NWA. Not sure if they'll be doing this at that location though.

I wonder what stores and restaurants are still coming to this center when Walmart opened. Golden Correl, Zaxby's, or Ruby Tuesday were mentioned earlier but I don't know if they are still in the planning. This center needs something new to the market(like Gordman's which has been packed everytime I go there) instead of the same stores/restaurants that are already in Little Rock . Stores/Restaurants like Ross Dress For less, Gap Outlet, Lids, Marshalls, Dick Sporting Goods, Red Robin (which was mentioned earlier but never materialized), Boston Market, Chiptole, TGI Friday's, or Zaxby's will fit perfect for this center. A mexican restaurant would also be a great addition to this center. Anyway, I would like to see those vacant spaces/lots occupied with these types of stores and restaurants if possible.

A mexican restaurant would also be a great addition to this center. Anyway, I would like to see those vacant spaces/lots occupied with these types of stores and restaurants if possible.

You guys need the family that owns La Huerta/Mexico Viejo/Mojitos and a few other restaurants up in NWA down there. Not really sure how good of a selection you have of authetic Mexican. But it can't hurt to have a little more. :D

I was told by a manager at another Zaxby's that a Shackleford Crossings location is still planned.

Mith - what Mexican I'd like from NWA is Aquambaro (spelling?). But we have great, authentic choices here like El Porton and Senor Tequila.

The Zaxby's is a done deal. Just a matter of when they break ground. They will have competition because there's a chicken place going in across the street at Rowan Village. Panera is a done deal too. But the developer (or the receiver now) has to build the shell for them to move in. When that will go up is anyone's guess. Cheddar's was also a done deal but they may have walked already.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From "architect":

Mith - what Mexican I'd like from NWA is Aquambaro (spelling?). But we have great, authentic choices here like El Porton and Senor Tequila.

Didn't Acambaro get shut down in NWA?

From "LIT uPP":

A manager at the North Little Rock Golden Corral said that plans are still in place for a restaurant at Shackleford Crossings. Timing is uncertain. They may be waiting for Walmart to open, before beginning construction.

Golden Corral? What was Krystal not available?

From "WLRDore":

Please, PLEASE, PLEASE tell me that this is an Einstein Brothers restaurant! Please?!

Now if we can just get Taco Cabana and Whataburger! And some higher class restaurants than Golden Corral!

From "architect":

Didn't Acambaro get shut down in NWA?

I'm pretty sure they're still open. although they did get into some trouble a while back. I do enjoy Acambaro as well. But if I'm going to eat Mexican food I'd just rather go to La Huerta, or one of the other restaurants that family owns.