Shackleford Crossings

The exterior on the Walmart is nearly complete and they were putting in trees this weekend (I went out to JCPenny's this weekend- it was packed and the center was pretty busy overall), I can't imagine why it wouldn't be open by summer 2011 based off where things are right now. I'm ready for it to open so I can stop going to the Bowman Walmart or driving up to the NLR supercenter to avoid the Bowman Walmart.

The exterior on the Walmart is nearly complete and they were putting in trees this weekend (I went out to JCPenny's this weekend- it was packed and the center was pretty busy overall), I can't imagine why it wouldn't be open by summer 2011 based off where things are right now. I'm ready for it to open so I can stop going to the Bowman Walmart or driving up to the NLR supercenter to avoid the Bowman Walmart.

What does the exterior look like? Is the facade well done, or is it the general crappy walmart with white cinder blocks?

What does the exterior look like? Is the facade well done, or is it the general crappy walmart with white cinder blocks?

Next time I go out there during the daytime I'll take a picture. I was actually pleasantly surprised by the overall style, but it's different than any Walmart I've seen before. The newer ones I've seen have had more stone or brick facade work with extra decorative elements when compared to the older store designs, but this one looks a bit more modern, with an interesting arc roof-line over each entrance that face in towards the center of the building. Anyway, it's hard to describe from memory, but I'll throw a picture up the next time I'm out there (probably will be a few days).

I was told by an employee of Wal Mart that the store is to open in January.

Looks like a Zaxby's (never been to one of those) and an Arby's will be at the intersection of Wal Mart Drive and Shackleford Road.

I was told by an employee of Wal Mart that the store is to open in January.

Looks like a Zaxby's (never been to one of those) and an Arby's will be at the intersection of Wal Mart Drive and Shackleford Road.

Zaxby's is awesome. Strangely, they are all "around" Little Rock (Maumelle, Sherwood, etc.) but this will be the first in the city.

• 4 weeks later...

Next time I go out there during the daytime I'll take a picture. I was actually pleasantly surprised by the overall style, but it's different than any Walmart I've seen before. The newer ones I've seen have had more stone or brick facade work with extra decorative elements when compared to the older store designs, but this one looks a bit more modern, with an interesting arc roof-line over each entrance that face in towards the center of the building. Anyway, it's hard to describe from memory, but I'll throw a picture up the next time I'm out there (probably will be a few days).

Sorry about the delay on this.

Some updates: The store's grand opening is currently planned for January 26th. If you've been to the Bowman Walmart lately, you may have noticed them letting the inventory get pretty low to make the transition easier.

A couple pictures of the essentially complete exterior; final trees were being planted today:

IMAG0333.jpg

IMAG0335.jpg

Sorry about the image quality, I took them on my cell phone.

Any new restuarants/stores announced for this center besides Arby's and Zaxby's? I'm sure we see more activity once WalMart open.

Yeah, I can't help but feel the delays with getting Shackleford Crossings rolling and getting Walmart built really had the more hesitant retail and dining outlets waiting it out. I wonder what impact closing the old Walmart will have on that section of Shackleford while they're rebuilding it. As much as I hate that store, it does seem to do a decent volume and Taco Bell is practically in its parking lot.

According to Kark, the Bowman Walmart will open as a Supercenter in 2012. I don't know how it will work being that it's not far from the new supercenter on Shackleford.

As for restaurants, I read that they were waiting for Walmart to open before they consider their plans to locate their. Maybe Hooter's or Friday's could locate their since there's no location in Little Rock.

Edited by ecity3138

According to Kark, the Bowman Walmart will open as a Supercenter in 2012. I don't know how it will work being that it's not far from the new supercenter on Shackleford.

As for restaurants, I read that they were waiting for Walmart to open before they consider their plans to locate their. Maybe Hooter's or Friday's could locate their since there's no location in Little Rock.

I think the additional supercenter will work out better for them in the long run than a Neighborhood Market at that location, so it's probably a good move. They said it will be a smaller supercenter, and the new store looks to be very large, so maybe the new Bowman store will attract people headed home on Chenal or that live closer to that store that just need to make a quick trip. I don't think Little Rock will have much trouble supporting an additional Supercenter, but the proximity of these two is a bit closer than the normally put things.

Is it just me, or is that the last Taco Bell in the world to use the old signage? It looks like a relic of the 1990s.

You're probably right. If I were the franchise owner, I'd take the opportunity of the Walmart being closed (and as a result, a lot of the evening traffic in that area being reduced) to get a renovation done on that restaurant before the new Supercenter there opens. There used to be one in Mountain Home that looked like that (and I always remembered thinking it needed a strong update for the past five years), but even it got a renovation to their new style. The one on Markham (the combo) is also ancient looking, but I think the signage is a newer style.

The new Supercenter opened today out at Shackleford Crossings. I went this afternoon and of course it was completely swamped (and Miss Arkansas was there, which was drawing a few people). Pretty nice store though, it's a little different than any supercenter I've seen before and I like it. Not as large as I'd thought it might be, but I suspect part of that is because they always intended to keep a retail presence at Bowman and didn't want it to become completely irrelevant.

I think the additional supercenter will work out better for them in the long run than a Neighborhood Market at that location, so it's probably a good move. They said it will be a smaller supercenter, and the new store looks to be very large, so maybe the new Bowman store will attract people headed home on Chenal or that live closer to that store that just need to make a quick trip. I don't think Little Rock will have much trouble supporting an additional Supercenter, but the proximity of these two is a bit closer than the normally put things.

There is no doubting Little Rock could support 2-3 more Supercenters as Little Rock has to this point not been victim to the Wal-Mart saturation Ft. Smith, NWA, Tulsa, OKC, etc have. The question is how will this effect existing supermarkets i.e. Kroger, City Market, etc? When Wal-Mart saturated Oklahoma City with Supercenters they lost nearly all of their traditional grocery stores. It has reached a point where Wal-Mart has a complete monopoly. Wouldn't be surprised to see that in Little Rock in the future.

There is no doubting Little Rock could support 2-3 more Supercenters as Little Rock has to this point not been victim to the Wal-Mart saturation Ft. Smith, NWA, Tulsa, OKC, etc have. The question is how will this effect existing supermarkets i.e. Kroger, City Market, etc? When Wal-Mart saturated Oklahoma City with Supercenters they lost nearly all of their traditional grocery stores. It has reached a point where Wal-Mart has a complete monopoly. Wouldn't be surprised to see that in Little Rock in the future.

True. I like Kroger (and they have a pretty good stronghold here), but with Walmart trying to increase their share of the grocery market, it's definitely something to wonder about. It always impresses me when smaller grocers or non-chains can manage to compete with them and survive too. I think the saturation, store quality (so many stores have been renovated lately, and the new Kroger Marketplace is an indication they consider the Little Rock market a particularly strong one), and convenience of Kroger will allow them to survive no matter what Walmart does though.

Who owns the center at this point? It would be interesting to hear some more about it! Now that walmart is open, I think interest will grow.

However, im still amazed that Copeland's is still here. This has got to be their jewel. Copeland's and walmart don't mix much.

The center seemed to be doing reasonably well from an anchor perspective even before Walmart, but it should only help. The JCPenny's and Gordmans were very busy the few times I went there, and that Cracker Barrel, Texas Roadhouse, and Copelands always seem to be busy.

The new Supercenter opened today out at Shackleford Crossings. I went this afternoon and of course it was completely swamped (and Miss Arkansas was there, which was drawing a few people). Pretty nice store though, it's a little different than any supercenter I've seen before and I like it. Not as large as I'd thought it might be, but I suspect part of that is because they always intended to keep a retail presence at Bowman and didn't want it to become completely irrelevant.

As of 6:00 last night, when I drove by, the old building already had all signage removed, including the main one on the building, the smaller building signs and the tombstone signs on Chenal Parkway. That's quick.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the new Walmart at Shackleford Crossing last night and was not impressed with it at all. The building's exterior is nice but the inside is awful. The bathrooms were filthy with paper towels everywhere, their inventory is not as good as the other locations around town, and the staff didn't have any clue where most of the items were located. The layout is a bit confusing and the store itself is smaller compared to Hwy 10 and MCcain Blvd locations. I understand that some of the staff are new but I feel they should had proper training before they start working. I think I'll visit the Hwy 10 location until I see improvements at this one.

Edited by ecity3138

I went to the new Walmart at Shackleford Crossing last night and was not impressed with it at all. The building's exterior is nice but the inside is awful. The bathrooms were filthy with paper towels everywhere, their inventory is not as good as the other locations around town, and the staff didn't have any clue where most of the items were located. The layout is a bit confusing and the store itself is smaller compared to Hwy 10 and MCcain Blvd locations. I understand that some of the staff are new but I feel they should had proper training before they start working. I think I'll visit the Hwy 10 location until I see improvements at this one.

Wow, that's crazy. At least bathrooms should have been clean. That's a part of having a nice store. And the staff has had some poor training. I did notice that too. I believe the Sherwood, NLR, and WLR (Cantrell) locations are much better as in selection and even size. Shackleford Walmart doesn't even have an automotive section for oil changes and tires. I will say I like the setup of the bakery section wih all the breads and cakes together. To me, the new Walmart should be the best, but has fallen short of it's hype.

My take on the store is apparently a little different than you all. I agree that the exterior is nice, but I'm a fan of the way the interior is done too, particularly in the grocery section. They obviously took some cues from nicer grocery stores and it feels a lot less like a warehouse in the grocery department than any other supercenter I've seen. I haven't used the bathrooms, so I can't comment on their cleanliness. Size wise, it is smaller than the NLR location by about 16,000 sq. ft. and smaller than the Cantrell location by 23,000 sq. ft. which isn't surprising considering how close the location is to the Bowman site (which will be redeveloped for Walmart use and they probably felt the Shackleford site couldn't justify being that much larger if Bowman is being redeveloped). I didn't notice there was no Tire and Lube Express, that surprises me a bit, but also makes me wonder if they intend for the Bowman site to have it after it reopens. If not, I'm not sure I understand that decision at all. The first few days it was open I thought the stock and selection was much better than the North Little Rock supercenter (the next closest location to my house), which seems to have a very limited selection of some things for a store that size and is a frequent frustration of mine. I don't particularly care for that store, but I do like the Cantrell location and have had much better luck there (I just wish it wasn't so far out in the middle of nowhere). I did notice when I was back this week that things didn't seem to be being restocked as well at the Shackleford Walmart as they needed to be for as busy as it has been. My only real complaint about the Shackleford store is the parking situation. The lot (like the store) is very wide and narrow and as a result the actual parking near the store is actually quite limited. I know they had to work with the plot of land they had, but as disconnected as it is from the rest of the Shackleford Crossings development and as narrow as that lot is, it doesn't make it the most friendly place to get in and out of. I also don't like that there are no self checkouts, and that due to the short depth of the store there is only one row of checkouts and it feels a bit claustrophobic when you're in line (since it's obvious they packed them in there). But other than that, I still think it's the nicest feeling Walmart in Little Rock other than possibly the Cantrell location or maybe the newish supercenter in Sherwood (which is inexplicably located right next to a Neighborhood Market).

• 1 month later...

Any new info on new stores or restaurants opening up soon? I would imagine that now that the much delayed Wal-Mart has been open for a bit things might start picking up. This is such a large center to just be sitting there mostly empty :( it would be nice to get some new to the state/market places coming in.

-RaVen

This is kind of off subject... But has anyone notice the Shoppes at Col. Glenn being built across from The Rave. It's kind of close to Shackleford Crossing. Not sure if it's going to be a big or mid sized center. I saw it today and thought it was interesting.