Shackleford Crossings

anyone heard anything about anything new coming in at Shackleford Crossing? this shopping center is so dead and its such a shame for such a good location and such a large complex!

-R

Not specifically. It's headed to foreclosure right now, which might affect any chance of it filling up in the short term (along with other factors of course), but an article in Arkansas Business this week mentioned this:

"At last report, the lifestyle center was about 69 percent leased, with about 84,000 SF vacant.

Deals involving about 17,000 SF are in the works and when completed would boost occupancy to 75 percent."

It is a shame that the complex is so empty with so much traffic from JCPenney and now Wal-mart (and with a bus route, though I think it should have stopped at the stairs at the end of the parking lot...). There was some survey work being done a few weeks ago in the empty lot in-front of Copland's and in the roundabout by JCP but that is about all I have noticed.

Even 75% is low. Very sad.

anyone heard anything about anything new coming in at Shackleford Crossing? this shopping center is so dead and its such a shame for such a good location and such a large complex!

-R

This and the Promenade at Chenal came online right at the time the economy collapsed in 2008. This problem really isn't unique to Little Rock. Shopping centers that were not leased by December 2007 are still struggling to this day. There is a huge one down the street from where I live in Charlotte, completely empty. It is directly across the street from a thriving power center anchored by a Best Buy, Costco, World Market, Old Navy, and Lowe's, so it has nothing to do with being a declining area. Its the fact the center came online in 2008 when business all but stopped expanding. Little Rock is lucky to see the Promenade at Chenal slowly coming back to life. That is almost certainly because Little Rock is a vastly under-served retail market as opposed to cities like Charlotte which have TOO MUCH retail for the population to support. I fear most retail developments from that time period will eventually have to be redeveloped into either offices or residential (or mixed use). It will be interesting to see what happens when/IF the economy ever recovers.

As for Shackleford Crossings, what stores would work there? I have always thought Goody's, Sally's Beauty Supply, Supercuts, Dollar Tree, maybe a Christian bookstore, Gamestop, etc would be the type of stuff that would work there.

Edited by bchris02

This and the Promenade at Chenal came online right at the time the economy collapsed in 2008. This problem really isn't unique to Little Rock. Shopping centers that were not leased by December 2007 are still struggling to this day. There is a huge one down the street from where I live in Charlotte, completely empty. It is directly across the street from a thriving power center anchored by a Best Buy, Costco, World Market, Old Navy, and Lowe's, so it has nothing to do with being a declining area. Its the fact the center came online in 2008 when business all but stopped expanding. Little Rock is lucky to see the Promenade at Chenal slowly coming back to life. That is almost certainly because Little Rock is a vastly under-served retail market as opposed to cities like Charlotte which have TOO MUCH retail for the population to support. I fear most retail developments from that time period will eventually have to be redeveloped into either offices or residential (or mixed use). It will be interesting to see what happens when/IF the economy ever recovers.

As for Shackleford Crossings, what stores would work there? I have always thought Goody's, Sally's Beauty Supply, Supercuts, Dollar Tree, maybe a Christian bookstore, Gamestop, etc would be the type of stuff that would work there.

I think what's misleading about the appearance of Shackleford Crossings versus the actual lease numbers is that the big box and outparcels are now almost all online - which no doubt constitute 75% of the available space, but virtually NONE of the smaller, core street-like retail space is leased. The fact that there is such a prevalence of barren storefronts gives the (rightful?) impression that it is struggling...when perhaps the numbers would say otherwise. Impression/expectation though is reality for the consumer.

I think what's misleading about the appearance of Shackleford Crossings versus the actual lease numbers is that the big box and outparcels are now almost all online - which no doubt constitute 75% of the available space, but virtually NONE of the smaller, core street-like retail space is leased. The fact that there is such a prevalence of barren storefronts gives the (rightful?) impression that it is struggling...when perhaps the numbers would say otherwise. Impression/expectation though is reality for the consumer.

The problem is that they have a lifestyle center design with power center tenants in an area that can only support street front and power type retailers. The lease cost is too high for the tenants that typically associate with Penney's, Walmart, Gordmans and the like. And, they can't survive in a lifestyle type development and need to be closer to the traffice and not facing in without visibility.

The development just doesn't make sense, from conception.

• 4 weeks later...

This week's Arkansas Business says that Yo' Rocks! will be locating in Shackleford Crossing. The article doesn't say if it's self-service or not, but that's what my money is on.

Glad they're doing that. It's definitely something that's unique to the market (sarcasm intended).

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

According to Pizza Hut's map that's in their waiting room there is supposed to be a road that connects from South Shackleford (the light that goes to Wal-Mart) around Cook Lake the up to around W. 24th St.

Does anyone know anything about this? Was it something that was planned at one time? A road there would make my bike ride to work much easier.

According to Pizza Hut's map that's in their waiting room there is supposed to be a road that connects from South Shackleford (the light that goes to Wal-Mart) around Cook Lake the up to around W. 24th St.

A road around the lake and up to 24th Street would put it right through the middle of Camp Aldersgate (which owns the lake and some 120 acres of land). Perhaps the map was showing an extension of Aldersgate Road? Currently, it dead ends with no cul-de-sac about 450 yards from S. Shackleford Road. I'm not sure who owns the property between the two or if there are any future plans for its development.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What happen to this development? It's seem that the shopping center have went downhill since the foreclosure of the center. It have so much potential to be a power center, but from what I've seen there's not one new tenant that I find interesting.

Edited by ecity3138

Arkansas Business have an article regarding the tenants at the Shackleford Crossing Center. It mentions Jo Ann Fabric & Craft, Hobbytown USA, a Sprint Store, and Scottrade as possible tenants at the lifestyle portion of the center. The article also mentions three possible restaurants at the remaining outparcels portion of the center. They are BJ Restaurant and Brewery, Longhorn Steakhouse, and Chuck E Cheese. Although not impressed with the retail tenants, I do find the restaurants a little more interesting. BJ Restaurant and Brewery would be new to Arkansas and would be a great addition to the existing restaurants located there. Longhorn Steakhouse, with locations in Jonesboro and Forth Smith, would be new to Central Arkansas and would also be great for the center. I do find it more interesting with Chuck E Cheese wanting to locate there consider that they have a location on Rodney Parham next to Kmart. Maybe they planning on closing their existing location on Rodney Parham and relocate to Shackleford Crossing?

• 4 months later...

I noticed there is a HobbyTown USA there now as well and it also looks like they are working on one of the out parcels up front along Shackleford. This might be that other rumored roadhouse style place :/ wish we would get something cool and totally new to market.

I think Longhorn Steakhouse going in that spot.

• 2 months later...

A permit has been issued for a Joann's Fabrics and Crafts for 2616 S. Shackleford Rd, which would be in the Shackleford Crossings development. Not my thing, but it's a recognizable chain and I'm sure some people will be excited about it.

Another eye-catching permit was issued for just down the street near the intersection of Shackleford and Kanis. Hilton Garden Inn has has a permit issued for an address on Kanis that appears to currently be a house with some land around it (has been for sale) across from that empty little shopping center next to the Shell station. Considering that the Garden Inn and Residence Inn seem to go after the same market (and there is another extended stay hotel near there), it looks like that section is about to get pretty competitive for the extended stay business traveler. With the growth at Shackleford Crossings and the new Panera and Dunkin Donuts just across the intersection from this new hotel, there's actually quite a lot going on down Shackleford right now.

A permit has been issued for a Joann's Fabrics and Crafts for 2616 S. Shackleford Rd, which would be in the Shackleford Crossings development. Not my thing, but it's a recognizable chain and I'm sure some people will be excited about it.

Another eye-catching permit was issued for just down the street near the intersection of Shackleford and Kanis. Hilton Garden Inn has has a permit issued for an address on Kanis that appears to currently be a house with some land around it (has been for sale) across from that empty little shopping center next to the Shell station. Considering that the Garden Inn and Residence Inn seem to go after the same market (and there is another extended stay hotel near there), it looks like that section is about to get pretty competitive for the extended stay business traveler. With the growth at Shackleford Crossings and the new Panera and Dunkin Donuts just across the intersection from this new hotel, there's actually quite a lot going on down Shackleford right now.

Can that area support another hotel.  Near that area is the Hampton Inn, Wingate and Studio Plus.  In Shackleford Crossing is the TownPlace Suites and Comfort Suites.  Then near Shackleford and I-630 is the Embassy Suites, the new Holiday Inn, Courtyard by Marriott and the Crowne Plaza.  That's a lot of competition. 

• 4 months later...

It seems like way back, I am remembering an Arby's and/or Zaxby's mentioned in that general area.

Zaxby's had long ago been in the mix of potential tenants.  For all of the ills of Shackleford Crossings, the location is still a good one and I see Zaxby's doing well there — if that's indeed what's being built.

According to the ADH, a plumbing permit has been issued to BJ's Restaurant.  I assume this is BJ's Restaurant and Brewery.  I have never been to BJ's Restaurant but it is a chain out of California with locations mainly in the west but a smattering of locations in Oklahoma, Texas and Louisiana, a few in Florida and some in Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky.  The website is http://www.bjsbrewhouse.com/  

I'm not sure whether each location is a microbrewery but they do have quite the list of BJ's own beers.  

I'm looking forward to this one.