Shackleford Crossings

If you are going to quote a source word for word you should at least mention the source. The source is Arkansas Business.

I did put at the beginning

From Arkansas Business:

However, I copied too much and deleted it to start over. I didn't know I had deleted that.

I would think so too, but interestingly the Just for Feet building has sat empty for over a year since it closed. I figured that building would be occupied in a minute, but so far it hasn't.

It couldn't easily be converted to anything because of that weird layout and the lot's too small for a larger store. Tearing it down and building a restaurant pad would be the best bet.

It couldn't easily be converted to anything because of that weird layout and the lot's too small for a larger store. Tearing it down and building a restaurant pad would be the best bet.

Great point now that I think about it.

The old Gateway store across Chenal from Wal-Mart sat empty for the longest time, and has now been converted into two separate stores with one now being occupied.

Yeah, I was quite surprised that the old gateway store sat empty for so long. It's right there in the middle of everything, up on a big hill even above the surrounding area. Verizon picked a good spot, that's for sure.

Another piece of property that baffles me is the lot at the corner of Kanis and Bowman that has been empty for so long. They did have a sign up touting some kind of development coming soon, but it didn't stay up long. Not sure what's going on with that. But, just down from it on Kanis, across from the BBB, there's a project being built called the Kanis Business Park. It's a long piece of property along Kanis. They have 1 building up, it looks like it's going to be some office buildings and maybe some commercial space as well.

I'm also still amazed that they tore down the texaco store at the corner of Markham and Shackleford and built a car wash. They could've really put something there at that high visibility intersection, and they built a carwash. *Shakes Head*

There is a lot of prime real estate still available in West Little Rock. It'll be interesting in coming years watching the area fill in. West Little Rock is truly a beautiful area. The great mix of hills and low lying mountains, with the urban setting is a sight to behold. Little Rock, with it's landscape and terrain, hold so much potential. We might not be the biggest, most urban place, but definitely one of the most scenic urban cities I've seen. I know a lot of the people from New Orleans that moved here said they never knew Little Rock was this urban, and certainly didn't know it was this beautiful.

West Little Rock is truly a beautiful area. The great mix of hills and low lying mountains, with the urban setting is a sight to behold. Little Rock, with it's landscape and terrain, hold so much potential. We might not be the biggest, most urban place, but definitely one of the most scenic urban cities I've seen. I know a lot of the people from New Orleans that moved here said they never knew Little Rock was this urban, and certainly didn't know it was this beautiful.

West Little Rock is the perfect example of sprawl. A person cannot get around without the use of a car. One cannot even walk around. I would not consider West Little Rock to be urban at all.

West Little Rock is the perfect example of sprawl. A person cannot get around without the use of a car. One cannot even walk around. I would not consider West Little Rock to be urban at all.

It that is the case, the only urban parts of Arkansas are downtown LR/NLR and some surrounding areas including Hillcrest and the Heights, downtown Hot Springs and the downtown area of Fayetteville and maybe Ft Smith. You couldn't fill a quarter of a county with all of urban Arkansas the way you look at it, which is fine.

I agree with Tim that the hills and valley of West LR make it a very attractive area. I grew up in Walton Heights and the views there of the river valley were spectacular.

It that is the case, the only urban parts of Arkansas are downtown LR/NLR and some surrounding areas including Hillcrest and the Heights, downtown Hot Springs and the downtown area of Fayetteville and maybe Ft Smith. You couldn't fill a quarter of a county with all of urban Arkansas the way you look at it, which is fine.

I agree with Tim that the hills and valley of West LR make it a very attractive area. I grew up in Walton Heights and the views there of the river valley were spectacular.

The views from Walton Heights were much better before construction on the northside of the river.

Sprawl is still urban. There are sidewals along every route, it would be easy to walk in the area. There's also a bus route that runs quite extensively out there. Also, there are many urban areas around the nation that you can only get around by car or bus, some don't even have sidewalks. So, no matter your opinion of sprawl, it's still urban.

The views from Walton Heights were much better before construction on the northside of the river.

You're always so negative. Lighten up. :)

What construction? Are you talking about the quarry that's been there as long as houses have been on top of the hill? That was there before I-430 was built.

I am taking about when you could stand on Rivercrest and look both north or south and see nothing but trees, excluding houses on Southridge. I also remember driving up and down Candlewood from Hwy 10 to Rivercrest, long before Kroger was built. I never did understand why Candlewood was never developed. I always thought the views to the west from Candlewood were the best. However, the best views were from the watertower, 360. At one time there wasn't a fence around the base so you could climb up it.

I am taking about when you could stand on Rivercrest and look both north or south and see nothing but trees, excluding houses on Southridge. I also remember driving up and down Candlewood from Hwy 10 to Rivercrest, long before Kroger was built. I never did understand why Candlewood was never developed. I always thought the views to the west from Candlewood were the best. However, the best views were from the watertower, 360. At one time there wasn't a fence around the base so you could climb up it.

You're braver than I, that's ballsy.

I also like the views at the Western side of Rivercrest where you could see Pinnacle looming in the distance.

Skirby:

You complain about sprawl and say it's not urban, then you turn around and complain about lack of trees. Urban areas have fewer trees. That's one good thing about WLR, it's a good mix between urban and nature, lots of trees all around. That's why I take such offense at you dismissing that area as just sprawl.

Skirby:

You complain about sprawl and say it's not urban, then you turn around and complain about lack of trees. Urban areas have fewer trees. That's one good thing about WLR, it's a good mix between urban and nature, lots of trees all around. That's why I take such offense at you dismissing that area as just sprawl.

Tim

I guess it all has to do with how you define urban. Why do you take such offense at they way I see things? You seem to like everything new and expanding. That is fine but I do not like West Little Rock because there is no thought for transit. You cannot walk anywhere. How nice would West Little Rock be if people could not use their cars? Also, I did not complain about lack of trees I only said the view was better. You said before:"There's also a bus route that runs quite extensively out there." You need to check the bus schedules, there are three stops west of I-430 and these are all on different routes. You have to go downtown to connect to the other. Tim why don't you get on one of these buses and try to travel around West Little Rock? What about weekend and nightime service? You cannot travel North/South in West Little Rock on city buses. You cannot go from Hwy 10 to Markham or Kanis. When was the last time you walked from Wal-Mart on Hwy 10 to Best Buy? Maybe you should so you would have time to enjoy all that nature.

Tim

I guess it all has to do with how you define urban. Why do you take such offense at they way I see things? You seem to like everything new and expanding. That is fine but I do not like West Little Rock because there is no thought for transit. You cannot walk anywhere. How nice would West Little Rock be if people could not use their cars? Also, I did not complain about lack of trees I only said the view was better. You said before:"There's also a bus route that runs quite extensively out there." You need to check the bus schedules, there are three stops west of I-430 and these are all on different routes. You have to go downtown to connect to the other. Tim why don't you get on one of these buses and try to travel around West Little Rock? What about weekend and nightime service? You cannot travel North/South in West Little Rock on city buses. You cannot go from Hwy 10 to Markham or Kanis. When was the last time you walked from Wal-Mart on Hwy 10 to Best Buy? Maybe you should so you would have time to enjoy all that nature.

The Heights and Hillcrest have hilly features and a forest of mature trees with parks amidst them and that is a genuinely walkable neighborhood with restaurants, shopping, etc easily available. In the days of the trolley connecting to downtown you can imagine a nearly car-less society there. The layout is so much denser because it was built in those days.

LOL There are way more stops than 3. I haven't looked at the route lately, but I see several stops on my daily commute. Yes, it is possible to walk just about anywhere you want to out there. There are sidewalks along every street, even the main ones. You may not want to walk, but you can. Who in their right mind would walk from the wal-mart on hwy 10 to best buy, even if they had a walkway above the area? Urban doesn't mean you can walk. Urban is clusters of developments and that certainly meets the requirements. Anway, I like driving my car where I need to go. Walking is good for you, but I prefer not to walk up and down the street in urban areas with groceries and anything else I may buy while out. The bus system is great for people that need it. Anyway, there are very few places in the US period that you can walk in urban areas. Even in places where you can, it would not be safe and wise to do so.

LOL There are way more stops than 3. I haven't looked at the route lately, but I see several stops on my daily commute. Yes, it is possible to walk just about anywhere you want to out there. There are sidewalks along every street, even the main ones. You may not want to walk, but you can. Who in their right mind would walk from the wal-mart on hwy 10 to best buy, even if they had a walkway above the area? Urban doesn't mean you can walk. Urban is clusters of developments and that certainly meets the requirements. Anway, I like driving my car where I need to go. Walking is good for you, but I prefer not to walk up and down the street in urban areas with groceries and anything else I may buy while out. The bus system is great for people that need it. Anyway, there are very few places in the US period that you can walk in urban areas. Even in places where you can, it would not be safe and wise to do so.

Again tim you talk the talk but will not ride the bus. CAT schedules list 3 stops. Are you saying there is no place that is safe or wise to walk. Have you ever live in an area where you can go to a neighborhood market and pick up fresh bread and the items you need for the day? The way you make it sound why would anyone want to live in an urban area? People make an area urban not buildings. Look at Main St. in LR. It has buildings but very few people. At one time it had alot of people using those buildings and maybe sometime in the future they will return. You can drive around in you car but give me Hillcrest or the River Market. As far as walking in West Little Rock it is too spread out. People will only walk within 1500 ft. of where they are on a daily basis. That is why development along a transit system happens within a five block area.

Again tim you talk the talk but will not ride the bus. CAT schedules list 3 stops. Are you saying there is no place that is safe or wise to walk. Have you ever live in an area where you can go to a neighborhood market and pick up fresh bread and the items you need for the day? The way you make it sound why would anyone want to live in an urban area? People make an area urban not buildings. Look at Main St. in LR. It has buildings but very few people. At one time it had alot of people using those buildings and maybe sometime in the future they will return. You can drive around in you car but give me Hillcrest or the River Market. As far as walking in West Little Rock it is too spread out. People will only walk within 1500 ft. of where they are on a daily basis. That is why development along a transit system happens within a five block area.

A very small percentage of any city is walkable as you have described. Cities have to be spread out, you can't pile everything up together for the sake of walking. I like having room to move and drive around.

There are many places I could live in WLR that I could walk, but walking for me is for leisure, not for errands.

A very small percentage of any city is walkable as you have described. Cities have to be spread out, you can't pile everything up together for the sake of walking. I like having room to move and drive around.

There are many places I could live in WLR that I could walk, but walking for me is for leisure, not for errands.

Really? You must tour the rest of the world - any part will do, though Europe is a great example. Only in the USA have we embarked upon a 50 year "suburban" experiment. Granted, we're the only country that could afford to take it on, but I think in the long run - if it continues unchecked - it will bankrupt our cities.

Edited by Architect

Who pays for your room to move and drive around? The more sprawl the more it cost for police, fire and other city services. Who is going to pay for the ever expanding streets, water and sewer systems needed for you to move around? You just don't get it, cities are not built for the sake of walking but should be built to be walkable. WLR doesn't even come near.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice article in the Business section of the Demozette today about Shackleford Crossing.

Main shopping center is to be 580,000 SF. Outparcels another 50,000 SF. Office space roughly 250,000 SF so ultimately the total should be around 900,000 SF. 30-40 retailers will be included with 8-10 restaurants.

The original schematic included a JC Penney's and Wal-Mart Supercenter. Names tied to the site now include: Cracker Barrel, First Security Bank, Logan

I just got a hold of a site plan for Shackleford crossing. It could be dated, but it included space for a Lowes, and and 88,000sf theater.

Interesting. That area needs a Lowe's but you would wonder if another theatre so close to the Rave and UA theatres, which are both pretty state of the art, would make much sense.

I think a Lowe's or Home Depot would do well out on Hwy 10 as well.