Shackleford Crossings

Zaxby's had long ago been in the mix of potential tenants.  For all of the ills of Shackleford Crossings, the location is still a good one and I see Zaxby's doing well there — if that's indeed what's being built.

I'm a huge Zaxby's fan and continue to be dumbfounded as to why they continue to avoid putting any locations in Little Rock proper.  Seriously...what a missed opportunity.  Maumelle, Sherwood, Bryant, etc., but no Little Rock.

I'm a huge Zaxby's fan and continue to be dumbfounded as to why they continue to avoid putting any locations in Little Rock proper.  Seriously...what a missed opportunity.  Maumelle, Sherwood, Bryant, etc., but no Little Rock.

This just a guess but it may be franchising issues...

Be curious to see where they put this in the complex. The building being built next to Boomerang is to small to be this but could be the Zaxbys

They probably going to put it next to Longhorn Steakhouse. There's plenty of land next to Longhorns to put BJ's Restaurant and Brewery.

Looks like the building under construction is not a Zaxby's, but an Arby's.

That must be why they moved out of Westchase Plaza earlier this year.  It was the last location locally that wasn't fully detached from other businesses.  The only other Arby's that hadn't been in its own building was the Park Plaza location that closed even earlier.

According to today's Demozette, there are currently no plans for a Zaxby's, Golden Corral or Ruby Tuesday's. 

A manager at  Golden Corral in North Little Rock mentioned that there is still plans to put a Golden Corral in West Little Rock, however, not the Shackleford Crossing site. The article mentions that Chuch E Cheese is still in the works for a location at Shackleford Crossing center as well as BJ Restaurant and Brewery. My guess is that Chuck E Cheese will close their existing location and relocate where there is more traffic.

Edited by ecity3138

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

They have started construction on a new hotel by the other two on the east side of the center.

Also, I found this. I dont't know if anyone knew about this, but a group called The Retail Connection is working on getting Shackleford filled. Below is a link to their website. They are also part of the group associated with the Benton Town Center.

http://www.theretailconnection.net/property-detail.aspx?id=456

• 1 month later...

I see progress being made for the new Chuck E Cheese location in front of Walmart.

Suppose this might eventually mean an expansion of the 10 Fitness on Rodney Parham. It's doubtful that Kmart would take the vacated space when Chuck E. Cheese moves.  Another business might need only that amount of space and move in, but it doesn't seem likely.

Most likely 10 fitness will take over the former Chuck E Cheese location  when it moves to the new Shackelford Crossing location.

I hope so. That is a popular facility and as busy as they were when I went there regularly I remembered thinking it'd be a good move. Not sure if LA Fitness has drawn away enough people (despite the cost difference) that they may not be as eager to expand right now though.

I hope so. That is a popular facility and as busy as they were when I went there regularly I remembered thinking it'd be a good move. Not sure if LA Fitness has drawn away enough people (despite the cost difference) that they may not be as eager to expand right now though.

LA Fitness have not affected 10 Fitness at all. I was at 10 fitness this past Tuesday and it was packed as always.

Edited by ecity3138

LA Fitness have not affected 10 Fitness at all. I was at 10 fitness this past Tuesday and it was packed as always.

Oh, I'm sure it was busy, but that's not correct from an objective viewpoint. I'm at LA now (formerly 10 on Parham) and there are a good number of people that have moved over. When one of the desk employees at 10 saw my "LA Fitness" keytag one of the last times I was over there she commented that "geesh, lots of people switching over there lately". I don't imagine it will cause them to cut back or anything since they're still the cheapest option out there and their facilities aren't bad, but to think that the entrance of a huge, well branded, higher end gym to the area with three high impact locations isn't going to affect 10 Fitness at all is illogical. My point was that if their membership base is not expanding as quickly, or if the hit they take from LA Fitness opening actually causes a slight drop in revenue for a while, it's very unlikely they're going to continue to expand and remodel at the pace they have been recently. 

Edited by thewizard16

Oh, I'm sure it was busy, but that's not correct from an objective viewpoint. I'm at LA now (formerly 10 on Parham) and there are a good number of people that have moved over. When one of the desk employees at 10 saw my "LA Fitness" keytag one of the last times I was over there she commented that "geesh, lots of people switching over there lately". I don't imagine it will cause them to cut back or anything since they're still the cheapest option out there and their facilities aren't bad, but to think that the entrance of a huge, well branded, higher end gym to the area with three high impact locations isn't going to affect 10 Fitness at all is illogical. My point was that if their membership base is not expanding as quickly, or if the hit they take from LA Fitness opening actually causes a slight drop in revenue for a while, it's very unlikely they're going to continue to expand and remodel at the pace they have been recently.

I'm sure 10 fitness membership will expand despite the fact that LA Fitness opening up in West Little Rock and on University Ave. Some people just come in to lift weights and use the machines and could care less about a fancy gym that have a pool, hot tub and basketball court. I was at LA Fitness on University Ave this past Thrusday just to check it out and notice that there was hardly anybody there. To be honest, I don't see what the hype is about LA Fitness other than its newer and they have fancy manchines (which I could care less about). With that said, there are several advantages that 10 fitness have over LA Fitness. For one, LA Fitness is not 24 hours (unlike 10 fitness) and it's not good for those who gets off late from work and wants to workout before they go home. Second, LA Fitness don't have Wifi which is not good for those who want to listen to internet radio (Pandora, iHeart Radio) or other things that require wifi during their workout. If I'm going to pay a $99 initation fee plus $29.99 (including a 9% tax) to become a LA Fitness membership, then I should expect these amenities to be include in my membership. Don't get me wrong, LA Fitness is a nice facility but I don't think it's worth the monthly fees they're charging to their members. 10 Fitness have nothing to worry about even if they lose a few members to LA Fitness.

Edited by ecity3138

I'm sure 10 fitness membership will expand despite the fact that LA Fitness opening up in West Little Rock and on University Ave. Some people just come in to lift weights and use the machines and could care less about a fancy gym that have a pool, hot tub and basketball court. I was at LA Fitness on University Ave this past Thrusday just to check it out and notice that there was hardly anybody there. To be honest, I don't see what the hype is about LA Fitness other than its newer and they have fancy manchines (which I could care less about). With that said, there are several advantages that 10 fitness have over LA Fitness. For one, LA Fitness is not 24 hours (unlike 10 fitness) and it's not good for those who gets off late from work and wants to workout before they go home. Second, LA Fitness don't have Wifi which is not good for those who want to listen to internet radio (Pandora, iHeart Radio) or other things that require wifi during their workout. If I'm going to pay a $99 initation fee plus $29.99 (including a 9% tax) to become a LA Fitness membership, then I should expect these amenities to be include in my membership. Don't get me wrong, LA Fitness is a nice facility but I don't think it's worth the monthly fees they're charging to their members. 10 Fitness have nothing to worry about even if they lose a few members to LA Fitness.

I agree, I was just pointing out that in a market this size, the supply vs. demand for fitness centers is worth thinking about. LA fills a market segment that was previously left pretty much to 10 Fitness so they're bound to lose a number of their "premium" members that value higher end benefits like a pool, sauna, racquetball, basketball, childcare while they workout, etc. more than they value being able to work out after 10 or 11pm. 10 can't afford to add those kinds of features and keep their prices so low, so if they want to keep their premium members around (for whom the $29.99 a month is less than $10 more than what they're paying for 10 Fitness) they may have to rethink their approach to the premium membership, because those are the people they're most likely to lose to LA. (Me and a group I used to work out with at 10, for example.) The $10 a month just want a place to run or lift a few weights members are definitely their core backbone and aren't going anywhere though, I agree with you on that, but their most profitable memberships are the more at risk and likely something they're thinking about when it comes to funding these new renovations and expansions. I've always been a fan of 10 Fitness though, so I hope their business model continues to adapt and they don't become the run-down cheap gyms in a few years like similar concepts do in some cities with more premium gym offerings.

I agree, I was just pointing out that in a market this size, the supply vs. demand for fitness centers is worth thinking about. LA fills a market segment that was previously left pretty much to 10 Fitness so they're bound to lose a number of their "premium" members that value higher end benefits like a pool, sauna, racquetball, basketball, childcare while they workout, etc. more than they value being able to work out after 10 or 11pm. 10 can't afford to add those kinds of features and keep their prices so low, so if they want to keep their premium members around (for whom the $29.99 a month is less than $10 more than what they're paying for 10 Fitness) they may have to rethink their approach to the premium membership, because those are the people they're most likely to lose to LA. (Me and a group I used to work out with at 10, for example.) The $10 a month just want a place to run or lift a few weights members are definitely their core backbone and aren't going anywhere though, I agree with you on that, but their most profitable memberships are the more at risk and likely something they're thinking about when it comes to funding these new renovations and expansions. I've always been a fan of 10 Fitness though, so I hope their business model continues to adapt and they don't become the run-down cheap gyms in a few years like similar concepts do in some cities with more premium gym offerings.

I don't think 10 Fitness will become a run down gym in the future. They got multiple locations around Central Arkansas and they pretty much keep their facilities up to date. As for the child care area, A manager at 10 Fitness said that they are planning on adding a child care area for those who have children and want to workout while keeping the children busy. As for premium members, I'm am a 10 Fitness premium members and find their equipment just as good as any other facilities. I have talked to other 10 Fitness premium members about them moving to LA Fitness and they said they are most likely staying with 10 Fitness. As for the pool, spa, and sauna area, you can basically get that anywhere around town. I'm surprise to see how small LA Fitness pool and spa is. It is the size of a hotel pool and spa tub which is disapointing considering the price they charging.

Edited by ecity3138

• 2 months later...