Shackleford Crossings

Yesterday's Democrat Gazette article on retail developments in Little Rock listed the Shackleford Crossing restaurant tenants as Cracker Barrel, Copeland's of New Orleans. Ruby Tuesday, Zaxby's, a Fu-Weng Japanese steakhouse and Panda Buffet.

Early on a few of the rumored restaurants were Red Robin and Abuelo's. I guess this development is not going to be upscale enough for them (as we have all agreed it is not an upscale center). Hopefully they are still looking to come to the Little Rock market at Midtowne, the Promenade or maybe even Pleasant Ridge.

Yesterday's Democrat Gazette article on retail developments in Little Rock listed the Shackleford Crossing restaurant tenants as Cracker Barrel, Copeland's of New Orleans. Ruby Tuesday, Zaxby's, a Fu-Weng Japanese steakhouse and Panda Buffet.

Early on a few of the rumored restaurants were Red Robin and Abuelo's. I guess this development is not going to be upscale enough for them (as we have all agreed it is not an upscale center). Hopefully they are still looking to come to the Little Rock market at Midtowne, the Promenade or maybe even Pleasant Ridge.

Cantina Laredo was originally discussed at Midtowne. A nicer 'mexican' venue in my neighborhood would be nice...Pei Wei is already sweet.

What is Zaxby's? Also, the Promenade has concrete being poured today.

Zaxby's is a fast-food chicken-strip sort of place. They opened their first central Arkansas store last year in Maumelle. They have another under construction, I believe, in Sherwood and have plans for several more in the market. And although you can't escape the fact that it is fast food... Their Maumelle store has a "casual dining" feel to it and I've been impressed with their overall operation.

Signage is up for JCPenny's and Babies "R" Us.

I'm looking forward to see just how well this 'shopping center' is executed.

I think for the midprice shopper, in a year it'll be fantastic. A little slow opening up, but it will fill up. The location is just too good to not be a good center for bargain hunters and people in the midrange.

I think for the midprice shopper, in a year it'll be fantastic. A little slow opening up, but it will fill up. The location is just too good to not be a good center for bargain hunters and people in the midrange.

Makes you wish, now, that Simon had developed this property. The silly lawsuit against one particular developer had no relevance to anything else being developed there. On the flip-side, the local developer seems quite content in spending their own money upgrading the interchange, while Simon (as I recall) balked at the deal. None-the-less, we end up with a lower-tier "power center" at this prime location rather than what would undoubtedly have been a top-tier "lifestyle center"....maybe this will prove better for Park Plaza/Mid-town in the long run, as the high-end, direct competition will now be MUCH further away.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the Clary Development website to see if there were any updates to the site plan. Although I could not make out all of the stores, the ones I could read were not very impressive. The only restaurants I could read were Cracker Barrel, Ruby Tuesday, Zaxby's, Fu Weng, and Panda Express. THis is a far cry from what we originally heard was coming to this shopping center. The only retail stores I could make out were WalMart, JCPEnny's, Babies R Us, Dunlaps, Haverty's, and Rack Room Shoes. Very disappointing in my opinion. There is not one place listed that would make me want to go to Shackleford Crossing. Hopefully a few late additions will make it, but if not it is going to be a wasted opportunity for a great location.

I went to the Clary Development website to see if there were any updates to the site plan. Although I could not make out all of the stores, the ones I could read were not very impressive. The only restaurants I could read were Cracker Barrel, Ruby Tuesday, Zaxby's, Fu Weng, and Panda Express. THis is a far cry from what we originally heard was coming to this shopping center. The only retail stores I could make out were WalMart, JCPEnny's, Babies R Us, Dunlaps, Haverty's, and Rack Room Shoes. Very disappointing in my opinion. There is not one place listed that would make me want to go to Shackleford Crossing. Hopefully a few late additions will make it, but if not it is going to be a wasted opportunity for a great location.

Well, if nothing else will, Copeland's will see me coming a mile away. Great restaurant....confirmed for Shackleford Crossing.

I didn't realize Panda Express had come to Arkansas yet. Those things are all over DFW.

I agree, it's generally mediocre offering. If you have young kids Babies-R-Us is nice. It's the easiest place to babyproof your home.

Architect, I've eaten at the original Copeland's on St Charles and loved it but I've eaten at the one in Rogers twice and it was just awful. Skin on top of the gumbo. underage girls working there so they have to find someone to bring drinks to you and it takes 15 min to get a drink, etc. I hope the one in LR is better managed.

I think Little Rock is really selling them short as far as retail expansion. There is a HUGE military population, over 5,000 active duty personnel alone not including their families here in Little Rock. I think a Crate & Barrel would be a phenomenal addition to Little Rock and would do very well. I also think that some other fabulous additions would definitely be a Macy's, DSW, a Sephora, a Pottery Barn Kids, an Apple Store, a Cost Plus World Market, a Room's To Go, a Ross Dress for Less and a Trader Joe's to name a few. As far as restaurants are concerned, I'd love to see a Cheesecake Factory, a Chipotle Grill and a Panera Bread Company. I know there are others I'd love to see here but those are my top 3.

I know so many military persons that make trips to get what they want in Dallas or Memphis because they can't get them here. Heck, I make regular trips to Dallas to visit my sister-in-law and so that I can get some real shopping done at a lot of the places I listed above. I was happy to finally see a Parisian come in (although it is now changing to Belk) to give Dillard's some competition. I'm not a huge Dillard's fan because from my experience when I go in there to shop the majority of the clothing is geared either towards teenagers or old ladies. There's not a good selection of clothes for ladies between 30 & 50, myself included in that age bracket. Hence the trips to Macy's in Dallas for real clothes that flatter a 30something momma. And Dillard's hardly ever has any sorts of sales and even then when things go on clearance the clearance prices are pathetic.

I did see today while looking at the Container Store website that there will be a store opening up sometime in the spring of 2008. It's sad, but that honestly made my day. I love shopping there for organization supplies. I don't know where though.

Little Rock has a lot of potential if they would just give themselves some credit. I love to see the expansion on the Westside but I live in the N. Little Rock area and think there needs to be some MAJOR development there too. As much as I love IKEA and make a trip to Frisco when I'm in Dallas just to shop there it just wouldn't fly here. I don't think that the residents of Little Rock would be very accepting of it and there wouldn't be enough traffic to keep it afloat.

I'm thrilled that a Panda Express is coming, the Babies R Us and the Carraba's. They all should've been here years ago. I agree with some of those who would love to see COSTCO show up. Granted I like Sam's Club but I could honestly do without another one or another Wal-Mart. I'm a Target loyalist and avoid Wal-Mart like the plague.

I think Little Rock is really selling them short as far as retail expansion. There is a HUGE military population, over 5,000 active duty personnel alone not including their families here in Little Rock. I think a Crate & Barrel would be a phenomenal addition to Little Rock and would do very well. I also think that some other fabulous additions would definitely be a Macy's, DSW, a Sephora, a Pottery Barn Kids, an Apple Store, a Cost Plus World Market, a Room's To Go, a Ross Dress for Less and a Trader Joe's to name a few. As far as restaurants are concerned, I'd love to see a Cheesecake Factory, a Chipotle Grill and a Panera Bread Company. I know there are others I'd love to see here but those are my top 3.

I know so many military persons that make trips to get what they want in Dallas or Memphis because they can't get them here. Heck, I make regular trips to Dallas to visit my sister-in-law and so that I can get some real shopping done at a lot of the places I listed above. I was happy to finally see a Parisian come in (although it is now changing to Belk) to give Dillard's some competition. I'm not a huge Dillard's fan because from my experience when I go in there to shop the majority of the clothing is geared either towards teenagers or old ladies. There's not a good selection of clothes for ladies between 30 & 50, myself included in that age bracket. Hence the trips to Macy's in Dallas for real clothes that flatter a 30something momma. And Dillard's hardly ever has any sorts of sales and even then when things go on clearance the clearance prices are pathetic.

I did see today while looking at the Container Store website that there will be a store opening up sometime in the spring of 2008. It's sad, but that honestly made my day. I love shopping there for organization supplies. I don't know where though.

Little Rock has a lot of potential if they would just give themselves some credit. I love to see the expansion on the Westside but I live in the N. Little Rock area and think there needs to be some MAJOR development there too. As much as I love IKEA and make a trip to Frisco when I'm in Dallas just to shop there it just wouldn't fly here. I don't think that the residents of Little Rock would be very accepting of it and there wouldn't be enough traffic to keep it afloat.

I'm thrilled that a Panda Express is coming, the Babies R Us and the Carraba's. They all should've been here years ago. I agree with some of those who would love to see COSTCO show up. Granted I like Sam's Club but I could honestly do without another one or another Wal-Mart. I'm a Target loyalist and avoid Wal-Mart like the plague.

I think the issue really has been, as others have posted, that the market was literally held hostage by Simon for about 10 years. All of these retailers were (and are) waiting for the right development to come along. Once the Summit (Simon) imploded due to community and political pressure, the resultant development is and will be a scattershot of medium-sized, medium-grade offerings (exception: Midtown & Promenade at Chenal - which are both relatively high-end but are decidedly medium to small in size). In a lot of ways this is unfortunate. However, the one, very positive upside is that mid-town in general, and Park Plaza/Midtown (proper) specifically are beneficiaries in this since the resultant developments are smaller and more importantly further removed geographically.

The Container Store will be at Midtown. I believe construction has started.

Ditto to what Architect said. Little Rock was held hostage by Simon and the proposed Summit Mall. Once that project fell through, all the other developments started to come online.

I'm glad that you think that Little Rock has potential, as many of us do, but Little Rock is not a large enough market for stores like Crate and Barrel, IKEA and Cheesecake Factory. Even larger metros like Oklahoma City, Memphis and Nashville don't have Crate and Barrel. The rumored list of stores coming to the Promenade Chenal include DSW, Apple Store, Coach and few others that may make you happy.

Getting the Container Store in Little Rock is a huge coup. It will be one of about 40 in the entire country.

The thing that we need to do is shop at these stores, make them a huge success and other retailers and restaurants will see Little Rock as a viable market.

Ditto to what Architect said. Little Rock was held hostage by Simon and the proposed Summit Mall. Once that project fell through, all the other developments started to come online.

I'm glad that you think that Little Rock has potential, as many of us do, but Little Rock is not a large enough market for stores like Crate and Barrel, IKEA and Cheesecake Factory. Even larger metros like Oklahoma City, Memphis and Nashville don't have Crate and Barrel. The rumored list of stores coming to the Promenade Chenal include DSW, Apple Store, Coach and few others that may make you happy.

Getting the Container Store in Little Rock is a huge coup. It will be one of about 40 in the entire country.

The thing that we need to do is shop at these stores, make them a huge success and other retailers and restaurants will see Little Rock as a viable market.

theman - regarding Cheesecake Factory; they seem to be moving to smaller markets so I wouldn't count them out. The Tulsa location just opened, and one has been open in Des Moines for some time (which is technically smaller than LR). There are rumors of a NWA location as well. Who knows...I hadn't been to one in a while until we ate at the one in Birmingham last week when our family went down for the Alabama game.

I agree that Little Rock has potential and am looking forward to the growth and development that I am sure will result. It is very disappointing that there isn't much competition here in reference to department stores. I too have traveled to other cities to do my shopping. It would be nice to just get in my car and go to the nearest shopping center and find what I want as opposed to having a full fledge road trip to do so.

A Chipotle Grill would be a great addition to the LR area as would a Cheescake Factory (which I'm sure is only a few years away). I too could do without another Wal-Mart in Central Arkansas. Target-loyalist is my middle name!

Edited by Hyacinth

theman - regarding Cheesecake Factory; they seem to be moving to smaller markets so I wouldn't count them out. The Tulsa location just opened, and one has been open in Des Moines for some time (which is technically smaller than LR). There are rumors of a NWA location as well. Who knows...I hadn't been to one in a while until we ate at the one in Birmingham last week when our family went down for the Alabama game.

I can see your point. I know they are choosy as to where they locate their restaurants. Maybe the Promenade would entice them to locate a store here.

I can see your point. I know they are choosy as to where they locate their restaurants. Maybe the Promenade would entice them to locate a store here.

Now I'm wondering if Park Avenue will. It depends on just how nice the development is built but the location is awesome. adjacent to the retail epicenter of Arkansas. If it isn't built in Promenade at Chenal or Park Avenue, it's hard to imagine it being built.

Now I'm wondering if Park Avenue will. It depends on just how nice the development is built but the location is awesome. adjacent to the retail epicenter of Arkansas. If it isn't built in Promenade at Chenal or Park Avenue, it's hard to imagine it being built.

I agree. Those are the two best bets for for Cheesecake Factory. I would think that Promenade at Chenal would be their first choice since it seems it will be a bit more upscale than Park Avenue. But if it goes to Park Avenue it would be at the retail epicenter you mentioned and have a lot a people to draw from. St. Vincent, UAMS and UALR would help also.

I agree. Those are the two best bets for for Cheesecake Factory. I would think that Promenade at Chenal would be their first choice since it seems it will be a bit more upscale than Park Avenue. But if it goes to Park Avenue it would be at the retail epicenter you mentioned and have a lot a people to draw from. St. Vincent, UAMS and UALR would help also.

I just can't see the Promenade location being viable for Cheesecake Factory because of its remoteness and lack of adjacency to significant regional traffic. Park Avenue on the other hand...