Shackleford Crossings

I just can't see the Promenade location being viable for Cheesecake Factory because of its remoteness and lack of adjacency to significant regional traffic. Park Avenue on the other hand...

You continue to suggest that Promenade is "remote", but that's simply not the case. I'm sure that both Promenade and Park Avenue will ultimately land a fine list of tenants. It's clear that you are a "midtown" kinda guy...but residents seem to have little problem heading to the western side of LR for anything they want. Hence the huge success of everything in that area. Promenade is 3 miles from a large epicenter of activity. Considering that Arkansan's do everything in cars, that just isn't a great distance.

I just can't see the Promenade location being viable for Cheesecake Factory because of its remoteness and lack of adjacency to significant regional traffic. Park Avenue on the other hand...

I actually agree with this, there's not enough traffic there compared to most Cheesecake Factory sites I've been to and I've been to several.

I'm not sure Park Ave isn't going to be "upscale", we'll just have to see. Target isn't upscale but I think they'll separate that out from the rest of the development (if Target is part of it at all).

Visibility, traffic, freeway access and central location all favor Park Ave. Also, it's not that uncommon to see Cheesecake Factory added to a more vanilla development near a major mall. In Dallas near Northpark Mall Cheesecake Factory is in a strip center with a Tom Thumb Grocery, Barnes and Noble, and Blue Mesa Grill.

Target isn't upscale but I think they'll separate that out from the rest of the development (if Target is part of it at all).

True, but that office building on the corner of University/Markham that houses a credit union and some other offices isn't really that "upscale" looking either. I think as long as the architecture and landscaping are done right, it will look great. I'm interested to see plans once they come up with them. But we have quite a while to wait.

I commute past Promenade each day, and while WLR is getting more and more traffic, I do agree that a location in Midtown would be better for Cheesecake factory-like businesses. Of course once Promenade opens I guess we will see if it will draw people westward or not. But Midtown has more of a history of being a location for shopping.

I'm interested in seeing the new JC Penny. Is the construction to widen Shackleford finshed/near finished yet?

Edited by shcwilj

True, but that office building on the corner of University/Markham that houses a credit union and some other offices isn't really that "upscale" looking either. I think as long as the architecture and landscaping are done right, it will look great. I'm interested to see plans once they come up with them. But we have quite a while to wait.

I commute past Promenade each day, and while WLR is getting more and more traffic, I do agree that a location in Midtown would be better for Cheesecake factory-like businesses. Of course once Promenade opens I guess we will see if it will draw people westward or not. But Midtown has more of a history of being a location for shopping.

I'm interested in seeing the new JC Penny. Is the construction to widen Shackleford finshed/near finished yet?

Not really but they are working night and day to finish it. Getting across the bridge and down to JC Penney's is sketchy, there is really extensive construction going on everywhere.

BTW, does anyone know what the plans are for the current Comcast site sitting on an island in the middle of Shackleford Crossing? I would assume that will be flattened and developed once the new Comcast HQs is open.

• 2 months later...

Ironically enough, I had a conversation today about the history/status of Shackleford Crossing with a person directly connected. Here's the summary:

The original two anchor's were J.C. Penny and Belk. Of course, as we all know, Belk bought Parisian mid-stream of development and consequently, they didn't need or want (now) two Belk's in the market - at least in that proximity. That sort of left the development in a lurch, as it needed two anchors to be a viable development. Wal-Mart came knocking, and they needed a second major tenant. It was stated that it was necessary, but the fact that Wal-Mart now showed up on the development picture immediately turned off many mid and upper tier tenants. It totally changed the complexion of the development. It forced it to be a decided "Power Center" rather than "Lifestyle Center" per se....

Its too bad really, because from what I could tell (today was my first time there - ate at Cracker Barrel), it appears to be quite nice architecturally....the layout is VERY similar to that at Pinnacle Hills Promenade (center lanes with the streetscape design approach), though perhaps just a notch down in vertical scale and perhaps quality - but not by much. Certainly, it appears to be much nicer than Pleasant Ridge architecturally, though that's not hard (in my opinion, its quite a let down).

As far as tenants, it was confirmed to me that though Abuelo's was originally in the mix, but now is not. I won't delve into why, but it was stated that perhaps it was headed to Promenade at Chenal, but it was uncertain.

We discussed the unfortunate circumstances surrounding the fact that there really is one too many "centers" being developed right now, resulting in none that have the size/gravity to be THE go-to center.

Archie-Thanks for passing along the explanation of Shackleford Crossing. It helps to understand why Shackleford Crossing is not developing to its potential. It will have the best access of all the new developments. It also confirms what many have observed about the retail cannibalism occurring in WLR and elsewhere to some degree.

Hopefully, this competitive environment leads Strode to develop Park Avenue as more weighted with multifamily and office than he would otherwise. The essential retail establishments for Park Avenue are Whole Foods, Target (essential only cause it is already coming), book store, movie theater, and 5 new restaurants.

Archie-Thanks for passing along the explanation of Shackleford Crossing. It helps to understand why Shackleford Crossing is not developing to its potential. It will have the best access of all the new developments. It also confirms what many have observed about the retail cannibalism occurring in WLR and elsewhere to some degree.

Hopefully, this competitive environment leads Strode to develop Park Avenue as more weighted with multifamily and office than he would otherwise. The essential retail establishments for Park Avenue are Whole Foods, Target (essential only cause it is already coming), book store, movie theater, and 5 new restaurants.

Yes, here's hoping for a successful Park Avenue strategy. Again, the plethora of new "centers" complicates Park Avenue in some ways, but in some ways not. Since its in direct, physical proximity to arguably the highest-end retailing in Arkansas (Park Plaza, Mid Town), they're really the driver much more than the peripheral, suburban developments. So it has to respond as a mixed-use (which is really great in my opinion) "Power Center" - i.e. Target, Borders, restaurants, offices, condominiums, etc. Sounds like a perfect niche to fill in mid-town doesn't it! ;)

Ironically enough, I had a conversation today about the history/status of Shackleford Crossing with a person directly connected. Here's the summary:

The original two anchor's were J.C. Penny and Belk. Of course, as we all know, Belk bought Parisian mid-stream of development and consequently, they didn't need or want (now) two Belk's in the market - at least in that proximity. That sort of left the development in a lurch, as it needed two anchors to be a viable development. Wal-Mart came knocking, and they needed a second major tenant. It was stated that it was necessary, but the fact that Wal-Mart now showed up on the development picture immediately turned off many mid and upper tier tenants. It totally changed the complexion of the development. It forced it to be a decided "Power Center" rather than "Lifestyle Center" per se....

Its too bad really, because from what I could tell (today was my first time there - ate at Cracker Barrel), it appears to be quite nice architecturally....the layout is VERY similar to that at Pinnacle Hills Promenade (center lanes with the streetscape design approach), though perhaps just a notch down in vertical scale and perhaps quality - but not by much. Certainly, it appears to be much nicer than Pleasant Ridge architecturally, though that's not hard (in my opinion, its quite a let down).

As far as tenants, it was confirmed to me that though Abuelo's was originally in the mix, but now is not. I won't delve into why, but it was stated that perhaps it was headed to Promenade at Chenal, but it was uncertain.

We discussed the unfortunate circumstances surrounding the fact that there really is one too many "centers" being developed right now, resulting in none that have the size/gravity to be THE go-to center.

Thanks for clarifying that. The plan for SC never made sense to me, now it does. With Belk's it made a lot more sense.

I'm excited about Park Avenue. So much potential. I'm hoping that it can lure a number of restaurants. Midtown LR is generally underserved in terms of chain restaurants, though it has many of the good fine dining and a good diversity of small restaurants.

Amazing how much the presence of a Wal-Mart decreases desirability. Shackleford Crossing could have been that "go-to center." Why didn't the developers try to recruit another department store like Macy's which Simon surely would have been able to do if Summit Mall had materialized?

Edited by bchris02

I vistied Shackleford Crossing yesterday when i went to JC Pennys. Its a beautiful, well laid out shopping center. I guessing it just opend, because it was still quite empty. Im not a walmart hater or basher, but its sad that they(the developers) let walmart build there. They should have waited out for a macys(long over do) or even a sears or something like that. And yes, Belk would have been better there too. but they had to go and take Parisians. The Walmart makes the center seem more of a LESS if you know what i mean. I just wonder what else they will put there. I mean, if its not already in Park Plaza, Its going to the prominade. Im still very positive about it. Its a GREAT location. Hopefully, it will speed up and really take off. It deffently has the potential, or at least i think it does.

I think it would have been better if somehow this and the Promenade could have switched locations. The location of Shackleford Crossing is much better for a regional center while Wal-Mart Supercenters only attract from surrounding neighborhoods, so it would be fine out on Chenal. We can give up on a Macy's coming to Shackleford with Wal-Mart there. They basically ruined what could have been a great center.

I think the Promenade could do well and would be an excellent destination if it is done like Utica Square in Tulsa, which is anchored by a Saks. All it needs is an anchor.

http://www.uticasquare.com

I think it would have been better if somehow this and the Promenade could have switched locations. The location of Shackleford Crossing is much better for a regional center while Wal-Mart Supercenters only attract from surrounding neighborhoods, so it would be fine out on Chenal. We can give up on a Macy's coming to Shackleford with Wal-Mart there. They basically ruined what could have been a great center.

I think the Promenade could do well and would be an excellent destination if it is done like Utica Square in Tulsa, which is anchored by a Saks. All it needs is an anchor.

http://www.uticasquare.com

I totally agree with the locations for each being wrong. The SC location is much bigger which would have allowed more stores and more variety, such as maybe a Whole Foods, Restoration Hardware, Macy's, and multiple restaurants. The visibility and traffic count is much better at the SC location which would have led to better success for those stores. However, I do think the Promenade will succeed because it will have some stores that will be unique to the market and there are enough people in WLR to support those stores. Many cites the size of LR have multiple locations of the types of stores that will be locating at the Promenade.

I totally agree with the locations for each being wrong. The SC location is much bigger which would have allowed more stores and more variety, such as maybe a Whole Foods, Restoration Hardware, Macy's, and multiple restaurants. The visibility and traffic count is much better at the SC location which would have led to better success for those stores. However, I do think the Promenade will succeed because it will have some stores that will be unique to the market and there are enough people in WLR to support those stores. Many cites the size of LR have multiple locations of the types of stores that will be locating at the Promenade.

Shackleford should go for lower-tier restaurants not in the market, such as Buffalo Wild Wings. Anybody know if Carrabba's is still coming to Shackleford? The Promenade or Park Avenue should try to grab the Abuelos, Cantina Laredos, etc. Chili's is not upscale enough for the Promenade and cheapens it in my opinion. It should go for Shackleford.

Im hoping for a Whole Foods at Park Avenue. Would they shut down their Wild Oats location or would they keep operating both stores?

Shackleford should go for lower-tier restaurants not in the market, such as Buffalo Wild Wings. Anybody know if Carrabba's is still coming to Shackleford? The Promenade or Park Avenue should try to grab the Abuelos, Cantina Laredos, etc. Chili's is not upscale enough for the Promenade and cheapens it in my opinion. It should go for Shackleford.

Im hoping for a Whole Foods at Park Avenue. Would they shut down their Wild Oats location or would they keep operating both stores?

Last we heard, Whole Foods was coming to Promenade. But that obviously could change and certainly a grocery of some sort would be a nice addition to the University corridor.

I vistied Shackleford Crossing yesterday when i went to JC Pennys. Its a beautiful, well laid out shopping center. I guessing it just opend, because it was still quite empty. Im not a walmart hater or basher, but its sad that they(the developers) let walmart build there. They should have waited out for a macys(long over do) or even a sears or something like that. And yes, Belk would have been better there too. but they had to go and take Parisians. The Walmart makes the center seem more of a LESS if you know what i mean. I just wonder what else they will put there. I mean, if its not already in Park Plaza, Its going to the prominade. Im still very positive about it. Its a GREAT location. Hopefully, it will speed up and really take off. It deffently has the potential, or at least i think it does.

I agree. Its a pretty nice development from what I could see (the "street" was not yet open to walk/drive down). It is too bad it didn't land some of the higher end tenants to set the tone so-to-speak. This is Case Study #1 on the "retail cannibalism" (see the new thread).

It may turn out to be the best location and nicest design of all current developments. Again, it was designed to be a higher end destination than how its shaking out...

I agree. Its a pretty nice development from what I could see (the "street" was not yet open to walk/drive down). It is too bad it didn't land some of the higher end tenants to set the tone so-to-speak. This is Case Study #1 on the "retail cannibalism" (see the new thread).

It may turn out to be the best location and nicest design of all current developments. Again, it was designed to be a higher end destination than how its shaking out...

Wasn't it already decided that Wal-Mart is the reason so many of the higher-end tenants pulled out of Shackleford Crossing? No matter how you look at it, sophisticated high-end retail CANNOT co-exist in the same development with a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Pleasant Ridge really is a better example of retail cannibalism.

Wasn't it already decided that Wal-Mart is the reason so many of the higher-end tenants pulled out of Shackleford Crossing? No matter how you look at it, sophisticated high-end retail CANNOT co-exist in the same development with a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Pleasant Ridge really is a better example of retail cannibalism.

Yes and yes.

A Whole Foods (or even Fresh Market) would have been great for SC, considering the initial idea for the center. I was highly disappointed when I heard WM was coming to the center and am not surprised that many of the other mid to upscale tenants pulled out. I am not a big fan of WM and have always gotten a negative connotation when I think of their stores. WM and upscale don't mix whatsoever.

I hope things work out well considering its location.

Updated tenant list of Shackleford Crossing from today's Democrat Gazette article. These are open, been announced or a plumbing permit was submitted to the Health Dept.

Wal Mart Supercenter

JC Penny

Babies R Us

Haverty's

Ruby Tuesday

Nouri Dress Shop

Paul's Shoes

Alltel Wireless

Rack Room Shoes

Fu Weng Japanese steakhouse

Panda Buffet

Copeland's of New Orleans