Shackleford Crossings

This is beyond sad. And pardon me if im mistaking, This is all due to wal-mart.

Yep. If JC Penney hadn't already committed before Wal-Mart was announced, I would have not been surprised to see them go to the Promenade or Pleasant Ridge instead. Wal-Mart brings in a demographic that makes high end retail unsustainable.

I doubt that you would see JC Penny’s in The Promenade. I don’t know to many people in Chenal that shop at JC Penny’s, although it would bring others to Chenal. That sounds really cocky. I was just there this past weekend, but im just stating the truth. It could have gone to Present Ridge. I wonder how the SC developer is handling all of this?

There is a JC Penney in the Pinnacle Hills Promenade in Rogers, which is probably the most upscale mall in the state, but yeah I see what you are saying.

Edited by bchris02

I just realized that. and theres also a TJ Maxx. How strange. Oh well. I guess differnt strokes for differnt folks. I dont care what the hell goes there, as long as its not wasted space. Is a Panda express still coming?

The TJ Maxx at the Promenade in Rogers is an outparcel, not in the main lifestyle center. Panda Buffet is coming, not Panda Express. I was really hoping for Carrabba's. It was one of the original tenants and would be great because Little Rock needs more Italian choices. They may have pulled out when Wal-Mart was announced like Abuelo's did.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a JC Penney in the Pinnacle Hills Promenade in Rogers, which is probably the most upscale mall in the state, but yeah I see what you are saying.

I don't think of PHP as upscale, it's kind of a mixed tier development. Way above Shackleford Crossing but not as nice as Park Plaza or Promenade at Chenal.

I don't think of PHP as upscale, it's kind of a mixed tier development. Way above Shackleford Crossing but not as nice as Park Plaza or Promenade at Chenal.

I believe Pinnacle Hills Promenade is a LOT nicer than Park Plaza. It has more upscale stores than Park Plaza, including Sephora, Coach, PF Changs, Harolds, Williams Sonoma, and Pottery Barn, and Sharper Image, etc. It also has a dillards just like Park Plaza. I would put Pinnacle Hills Promenade more on par with Promenade at Chenal. I think PHP will just continue to add more upscale stores and will eventually be the nicest super regional mall in the state, if not the region.

PHP and Park Plaza/Midtowne are the nicest shopping complexes in the state. No doubt that PHP has more than Park Plaza, but Midtowne makes up for what Park Plaza doesnt have. I think that the Univeristy Ave corrador will be the Premier shopping district in the state once Park Ave is complete and all the road work is done.

As for SC, Lets not write it off just yet. It will find its place. it will just not be what it was ment to be or what it was thought to be at creation. Its still a very nice shopping area. I think it will end up being like a Lake Wood Village.

I believe Pinnacle Hills Promenade is a LOT nicer than Park Plaza. It has more upscale stores than Park Plaza, including Sephora, Coach, PF Changs, Harolds, Williams Sonoma, and Pottery Barn, and Sharper Image, etc. It also has a dillards just like Park Plaza. I would put Pinnacle Hills Promenade more on par with Promenade at Chenal. I think PHP will just continue to add more upscale stores and will eventually be the nicest super regional mall in the state, if not the region.

I wouldn't dare go so far as to say a "LOT" nicer than Park Plaza. They pull the same demographic, and Park Plaza is limited in available space, and the tenants you mention at PHP are located across the street from Park Plaza at Midtown. PHP is impressive no doubt, but it is such a different development than the "boutique" high-end enclosed mall that is Park Plaza. Frankly, walking inside Park Plaza seems more upscale than PHP - the renovations are very upscale. Either way, they are both impressive. Frankly, in relative comparison to its market, PHP is more of the eye-opener!

PHP and Park Plaza/Midtowne are the nicest shopping complexes in the state. No doubt that PHP has more than Park Plaza, but Midtowne makes up for what Park Plaza doesnt have. I think that the Univeristy Ave corrador will be the Premier shopping district in the state once Park Ave is complete and all the road work is done.

One thing that would really be helpful is pedestrian bridges over University and Markham, so its possible to park once and shop all three developments.

One thing that would really be helpful is pedestrian bridges over University and Markham, so its possible to park once and shop all three developments.

Thats what i would like to see. One bridge linking Park Plaza to Midtowne, and Park Plaza to Park Ave. It would be the best thing. Covered walkways. Like what you see downtown. It would increase Padestrian Trafic. But it would have to be done right. And the Developers would have to work together.

I don't. It's more of a regional mall than smaller shopping centers but it's got tons of lower end stores and big boxes that don't fit an "upscale" mall. Sephora isn't upscale, they're putting them in JC Penney's now. Remember aside from Coach all of these stores you mentioned already exist in LR and some really aren't in prime shopping centers. Park Plaza is a nice indoor mall, even by Dallas standards. It's just relatively small. I think PHP is really pretty standard compared to what I was used to seeing in Dallas amongst new developments, not high-end.

It's got a nice exterior but it's really standard for what they are building these days, I wouldn't say it's nicer than Turtle Creek in Jonesboro.

I also don't get why you act like the area demographics are so nice. Drive East down New Hope and most of the houses are modest ranch homes. Not far past that you see block after block of very inexpensive tract housing developments, often packed with immigrants.

I don't. It's more of a regional mall than smaller shopping centers but it's got tons of lower end stores and big boxes that don't fit an "upscale" mall. Sephora isn't upscale, they're putting them in JC Penney's now. Remember aside from Coach all of these stores you mentioned already exist in LR and some really aren't in prime shopping centers. Park Plaza is a nice indoor mall, even by Dallas standards. It's just relatively small. I think PHP is really pretty standard compared to what I was used to seeing in Dallas amongst new developments, not high-end.

It's got a nice exterior but it's really standard for what they are building these days, I wouldn't say it's nicer than Turtle Creek in Jonesboro.

I also don't get why you act like the area demographics are so nice. Drive East down New Hope and most of the houses are modest ranch homes. Not far past that you see block after block of very inexpensive tract housing developments, often packed with immigrants.

I totally agree about PHP. There is no "wow" factor with it. It is absurd to think that it would attract people from LR, Tulsa, or KC to come there to shop because there is nothing there that those cities don't already have. It might attract people from small towns in MO or OK that have nothing but a WalMart, but there is no way that someone from any city would drive there just to shop. Some people in NWA have a very inflated view of PHP. It is nice, but lets be realistic...

• 2 weeks later...

I drove out to Shackleford Crossing today for the first time to take a look, and its sad to see such a great piece of architecture go to waste. Makes me wish there was some way to pull the plug on the Wal-Mart. I hate to see all those empty storefronts. I hope they are able to make it into something, even if it has to be TJ Maxx, Goody's, Dollar Tree, and more cell phone shops.

I'd like to pull a Nordstrom's but I don't think they will go to a market this small yet. Saks certainly won't unless it's the Parisian store and there's one of those going into Pleasant Ridge. I also believe the market can easily support two Dillard's with minimal competition in the market.

There's always the possibility that Dillard's would leave one store and occupy the other, downgrading the size to what would be a normal-sized store at another mall.

However, the important thing to consider is Dillard's owns its stores, it doesn't lease them. Dillard's could hold onto a vacant store to stifle competition if it wanted.

First Post

I'm from Louisville, it was very much a shock to move to Little Rock and find only Dillards. As a young girl I could go to Bacon's, Bick's, Hess's, Lazarus and other stores or a short drive to Ohio or Nap town for Sak's. Then Dillard's bought out Bacon's in my home town and killed that mall.

First Post

I'm from Louisville, it was very much a shock to move to Little Rock and find only Dillards. As a young girl I could go to Bacon's, Bick's, Hess's, Lazarus and other stores or a short drive to Ohio or Nap town for Sak's. Then Dillard's bought out Bacon's in my home town and killed that mall.

Welcome!

What brought you to Little Rock? Where besides Dillards have you found to shop?

Thank you!

My mother was a dentist doing her committment to underserve areas in exchange for money for dental school. We lived in Pine Bluff for 15 months. I went to college in Memphis, got married to a man from Little Rock in 2002. STUCK NOW :wub:

We go to Memphis, St.Louis and back to Louisville! :P Atlanta area and Branson outlets in the summer.

I go to Dillard's, the small local shops and as I grew Lane Bryant(working my way away from that one.) I do Needless Markup for special gifts, Macy's online, J Crew online and other stores online.

I am loving the fact that the www.containerstore.com is coming here. My Memphis friends are jealous.

I used to live in Fort Myers,Memphis, and St.Louis too. Loved the shopping and dining in all of those cities.

Arkansas kills me,we went to the Bonefish in Germantown Sat night at 5:45/6 p.m. got a seat in less than 20 mins. Here thats a hour plus wait.

I stay because I love my job and my husband.

Saw this on yellowpages.com while looking for a Sat. brunch spot.

Copeland's Famous New Orleans Restaurant and Bar

2602 S Shackleford Rd

Little Rock, AR 72205 Map(501) 312-1616

Sorry if I make a lot of mistakes. I had a stroke in 06.

Thank you!

My mother was a dentist doing her committment to underserve areas in exchange for money for dental school. We lived in Pine Bluff for 15 months. I went to college in Memphis, got married to a man from Little Rock in 2002. STUCK NOW :wub:

We go to Memphis, St.Louis and back to Louisville! :P Atlanta area and Branson outlets in the summer.

I go to Dillard's, the small local shops and as I grew Lane Bryant(working my way away from that one.) I do Needless Markup for special gifts, Macy's online, J Crew online and other stores online.

I am loving the fact that the www.containerstore.com is coming here. My Memphis friends are jealous.

I used to live in Fort Myers,Memphis, and St.Louis too. Loved the shopping and dining in all of those cities.

Arkansas kills me,we went to the Bonefish in Germantown Sat night at 5:45/6 p.m. got a seat in less than 20 mins. Here thats a hour plus wait.

I stay because I love my job and my husband.

Saw this on yellowpages.com while looking for a Sat. brunch spot.

Copeland's Famous New Orleans Restaurant and Bar

2602 S Shackleford Rd

Little Rock, AR 72205 Map(501) 312-1616

Sorry if I make a lot of mistakes. I had a stroke in 06.

Candacet - glad you are here (on the board AND in Little Rock)! We're always glad to have new members join our dialog!

I've always been intrigued by Louisville, and it particularly perked my interest several years ago when the city-county merged as one consolidated government, which is what has been discussed for central Arkansas - very, very informally.

Tell us about Louisville!

p.s. Were you active on Urban Planet on other pages/cities where you have lived?

Hopefully Little Rock is finding itself moving up to the next tier of urban civilization!

Candacet - glad you are here (on the board AND in Little Rock)! We're always glad to have new members join our dialog!

I've always been intrigued by Louisville, and it particularly perked my interest several years ago when the city-county merged as one consolidated government, which is what has been discussed for central Arkansas - very, very informally.

Tell us about Louisville!

p.s. Were you active on Urban Planet on other pages/cities where you have lived?

Hopefully Little Rock is finding itself moving up to the next tier of urban civilization!

Louisville is a smaller, cleaner, and nicer Memphis. They don't have as much crime for a city that size. Bigger Little Rock in some ways, but better in a lot of ways too.The Derby and UofL/Speed School effects almost everything. Louisville has race & class issues, Derby really shows this flaw. Tale of four cities in April and May... Whites with money, blacks with money, whites with no money and blacks with no money. They try to hide the last two during Derby, instead of improving the lifestyles and spending the tons of money they make off Derby.

Louisville has had the same Mayor forever "Jerry Abramson" . I was in grade school when he was elected to office the first time. Does that tell you anything. I will be 32 Sunday, but it wasn't "Louisville Metro" then. The schools are better than Little Rock, but they still have issues. I loved the Performing Arts school. I wish we had some of the mentor programs here.

The parks a lot better,I miss the parks. My family is big on the parks. I guess that is why I was smaller when in the other cities. We walked and taking the TARC in Louisville was not a big deal.

I love Old Louisville{think Heights, but bigger and better}. Great arts events, galleries and the Zoo is nice, the museums too "Museum Row".I grew up in "J'town (farm land+years=the suburbs} our West Little Rock/Pleasant Valley area, but it is called the East End. So, I was shocked again when I got here.

Louisville is also a short drive to other nice size cities, Nashville, Nap Town, Chicago, St.Louis and Ohio cities.

I tell everyone to go to the Art center/museum row,The Kentucky Derby week, Kingfish and have a real Mint Julep at least once. My husband loves Louisville. When my mother leaves Little Rock, I plan to move back and retire. Almost all of my other family members live in that area of the world.

I would type forever about Louisville. I love that city flaws and all.

PS

No, I am really new. I startd reading this site I was home recovering from my heart surgery last winter. I forgot about it still now.

P.S.S He is Lousiville Metro mayor now, so he has never lost

found online at louisville.gov

"Jerry Abramson

Edited by candacet