Winter Festival 2005 | Photos

Florida

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Springtime Tallahassee started when some urban-minded legislators tried to move the seat of state government away from then very quiet Tallahassee. Springtime Tallahassee was a parade designed to show all of the beauty that the spring time brings out in the capital city. Not to say it is single handedly responsible for the retention of state government in Tallahassee, but it is given alot of credit.

Today we continue in this tradition. The previous Springtime Parade drew an estimated crowd of over 200,000 people.

The winter festival started about 12 years ago, the brainchild of then Commissioner Steve Meisburg. When I was in Middle school I played trumpet in the parade a few times.

I would consider it very much a christmas parade, but it tries to be inclusive of the entire community also.

Informative history review there TJ.

I had heard that about Springtime Tally, but I also think that planting the phallic symbol (the New Capitol) behind the Old Capitol helped in keeping the seat of government here.

I don't think the Winter Festival was ever called an Xmas parade, so it was never changed to be PC. Tally was PC before being PC was cool or uncool however you look at it.

I like the Springtime parade better because they throw beads and because I'm more of a Springtime/warm weather person than I am a Winter person...although this year's Winter Festival was very warm. Some years I have about frozen to dead!

"Festival of Lights" was changed to be more inlcusive- but i still see alot of christmas stuff all over ppublic domain. Not a fan, celebrating the season is plenty. Santa Clause is a rediculous symbol of the non-christian christmas (who could argue other wise). Macy's is the only parade then that can justify his presents (hah haha ha funny! can you tell i grew up poor)

Archived