Changes coming to one of University City's oldest shopping centers

DigitalSky

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/13298407.htm

I mentioned the part about Harris Teeter taking the former Media Play spot last week in the HT Thread i think. This is great news though for UNCC students and the community.

Competition for shoppers has grown since the Town Center Plaza opened in 1984 with a Harris Teeter and an Eckerd Drugs store. It later added more shops, restaurants and a movie theater. The theater space, which eventually closed, has had several different tenants over the years, as has the building that now houses O'Charley's restaurant.

But one thing has remained constant. For years, students have hitched rides with classmates, ridden bikes or walked to the Town Center Plaza for groceries, Greek letter T-shirts or to wait tables at restaurants.

Students say it's still the closest grocery store to campus, despite new choices that have opened along the U.S. 29 side of the university. UNCC opened its first U.S. 29 entrance this fall. Prior to that, students exited only on University City Boulevard and Mallard Creek Church Road, making the trip to other stores too long, they said.

Over the last 10 years, the landscape along University City Boulevard has changed. Lowe's, Target and Outback, for example, weren't there back then, nor were the Wal-Mart at University Place or the Bloom grocery on U.S. 29.

Now there are more than 4,000 businesses within five miles of the Town Center Plaza, according to Crosland Inc., the company that owns the center.

Also, speaking of University City, does anyone know if the Winn Dixie store on the other side of campus has been bought out yet?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The University Book Store is a Barnes & Noble so they won't be building a new one. They are actually going to have a new location in the new Student Union, good thing too as the current location is kinda old looking.

At least UNCC students can walk to a grocery store.. the closest full-service grocery to UNCG would be at least 2 miles

There is also a Bloom right across from the N Tryon Street entrance, I guess one could ride a bike to that one.

I am really looking forward to the new bookstore at the student union, the present bookstore is outdated, small, and anything will be better. BTW, there is a ton of construction that is happening on campus right now, everywhere i look there is some sort of construction equipment, and i think they have started on the new greek village as well. The only thing campus needs now is a bojangles and i will be set. Also, i will definitely be going to the new HT when it opens.

Archived