Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smeagolsfree

Future fo Downtown Nashville Retail?

I totally agree with the writers opinion expressed in this article. I agree that now is the time for our city leaders to develop a vision for retail in Downtown commensurate with all the residential developments that are taking place. All this downtown residential momentum will come to a grinding halt if there not enough retail to support the burgeoning population.

Hey guys, I quickly went through the "Arcade" in Nashville several years ago and it seems like it is some sort of a shopping mall or something near the city's center. Is it something that has a lot of stores currently occuping space in it, and could it be something that could be redeveloped to assist or be some sort of a starting point in downtown retail there in Nashville? I have a very limited memory of what was in it or even where it is located there in Nashville.

Thats is mainly eating establishments, along small shops and businesses, that serve the 9-5 downtown workforce. Its been around for I don't know how long (a very long time in one form or another I believe), Dave would be the man to ask about its history.

The Arcade opened in 1903 and at the time was one of the longest arcade-type malls in the country. On opening day more than 40,000 people came to stroll through. Nashville's population at the time was around 80,000.

Others still exists and most are quite similar to this. I think the arcade itself is fine with what it has in there. The goal should be for the merchants and services to have reasons for extended hours and weekends. I miss the opportunities to go to the arcade since its only open during times I'm at work. I wouldn't want to see it gentrified to some strip of trendy boutique shops, but would like to see it remain a picture of locally owned vibrant retail and offices. This may be close to a reality with the opening of Viridian, the coming Sig, the Arts District condos, Kress and others closeby. The people are here yet, but they're coming. May the Arcade leave the lights on for them.

^ I agree. A fresh coat of paint and a breath of new life is always a good thing at a place like the Arcade. It is by far, one of my favorite places to visit in Nashville.

OK, I'll bite. What's an NC style store. We don't have Belk in GA.

By that I meant a nicer Belk Department Store. Seems as if the only really nice ones are in North Carolina where the company is based. The ones currently scattered across TN are typically a lot like a JCPenney - nothing too exciting.

Now as for the Arcade.... I would love to see some new life in that place. I think a few new services like a real Barber Shop, Hair & Nail Salon etc... would be great. I'd also like to see a few big names open up shop - something like an Aldo Shoes or a small Banana Republic. Anyway it doesn't have to be some great mall - just something with choices.

Hey guys, I just ran across a website for the Arcade there in Nashville. The Arcade has a pretty good variety of stores!! The site indicated that the future is bright for the Arcade with the incoming residential developments coming downtown, and with that residential growth could come a demand for the shops in the Arcade to extend its hours during the weekday and weekend.

This really could be a starting point to assist with the bustling residential growth that is expected in downtown Nashville if the hours are extended. Hopefully in the next upcoming weeks, I will hear back from the position that I interview for up there in Nashville, and will be able relocate and experience all the great things that is going on there in Nashville, (I wish they hurry up a let me know something!!!!!!)

Here is the site if no one doesn't already know where it is

http://www.onepaper.com/nashvillearcade/?v...me&p=%28null%29

Thanks for sharing the Arcade Website with us. All this new residential development will indeed help the arcade prosper in the future. How about a 24-7 arcade one day in the future? That would truly be something.

There have been so many times I have been downtown on Sunday wanting pizza from the House Of Pizza. I love going there and was by there Sunday and made the comment that the Arcade may extend hours with all the condos going in. I think you will see some specialty shops in the next year or so.

When I lived downtown I often wished the Arcade and the HOP was open as well!! The best pizza in the city IMO!

All this talk is making me hungry!