NIMBY Confessions

voyager12

Have you ever betrayed your Urbanplanet values and engaged in NIMBYISM? Admit your sin here and live in shame no longer! :w00t: I live in Dilworth and opposed Lowes because of congestion. I live just off of East and it will not impact me at all, but I have changed my mind and now support it as a good multi-use project.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha! This is a great thread idea.

My own adventure in Nimbydom was a few years, but I think it was consistent with my Urban Planet values.

A bunch of land just north of First Ward was still zoned I2 as a remnant from the old cotton mill days. One day, a land owner decided to build an asphalt plant on his land at 13th and Davidson Street, only 2 blocks from higher density residential in both Optimist Park and First Ward. It was all completely legal, as the land had never been rezoned when the city changed their land use plans for the area, even though they called for mixed use in the area.

It would have put the Piedmont Hope VI application in jeopardy, the chances of Optimist Park revitalization in jeopardy, and First Ward's residential success in jeopardy. It would have put City Hall, Bank of America Corporate Center, the new Arena, and First Ward, Fourth Ward, Belmont, Elizabeth, and Optimist Park in a cancer cluster radius.

Luckily, the city bought off the owner with $1m of land and monetary compensation, and subsequently rezoned most of the old I2 land in Optimist Park. I think the city worked out some deed restrictions with the owners of the remaining I2 land in the area, too, so they can continue to operate, but higher polluting future uses are avoided.

Since that time, we have had continued growth and appreciation in First Ward, we have won the Hope VI grant for Piedmont Courts, and we have had significant announcements for highrises and other projects in that part of uptown. I still think much of it would have been in jeopardy had the asphalt plant been built.

After reading the health risks of asphalt plants, I was already making arrangements to sell my home, even at a loss, to relocate away from danger.

I want all the duplex rentals on the south side of my neighborhood gone.

Just wish a developer would come through and buy up all the land and tear em down. That or the owners would sell to someone who would actually fix them up and live in them. Right now they are falling apart and the owners dont care.

This doesn't really relate to NIMBYISM, but goes against some views on here.

I drive a sports car :gasp: It only takes 93 octane and eats it like there's no tomorrow. But I was young, dumb, and, well you know the rest of that phrase.

Alot of the things discussed on here would never occur to the average person. I started reading UP because I love skylines and big buildings, but have really learned alot about urban living and why it is so important. If it weren't for sites like this I would never have thought about urban planning, fuel saving cars, preserving historic structures, etc, etc. Now im spreading the word, and my friends wonder whats happened to me.

Now my car only gets about 100miles a month on it if that. I walk or bike to just about everything, so Iv'e learned alot. Keep up the good work guys.....

Isn't that PIMBYism? (Please In My Back Yard)

;)

LOL! Yes, PIMBY! I was thinking about the UP resistance to big box retailers and chain retail/restaurants. Honestly, they do help. Especially when someone is a newcomer. Having something familiar makes you feel more at home. It helps ease the transition as you find your way around. In that regard they do have some benefit.

And well, the mall loves you. The mall loves everyone and you should love it. :D

Archived