snow removal

runawayjim

All in all, sidewalks are Federal Hill are a disaster this morning, sidewalks Downcity are great, what a difference a DID makes.

I have a corner lot and about 100' of 4' wide sidwalk to clear.

This snow was so light that that effort took me about 15 minutes this morning. a local street shop will have about, what, 20' of frontage? I think you can do the math. If property owners on the hill can't even get their asses to move this snow, it is a nearly hopeless case until the city steps in with fines, etc. Hopefully by the time you walk home, everything will be clear.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a corner lot and about 100' of 4' wide sidwalk to clear.

This snow was so light that that effort took me about 15 minutes this morning. a local street shop will have about, what, 20' of frontage? I think you can do the math. If property owners on the hill can't even get their asses to move this snow, it is a nearly hopeless case until the city steps in with fines, etc. Hopefully by the time you walk home, everything will be clear.

I took 20 minutes last night to shovel all of the snow around my building. It was NOT hard work and the pride of doing the best job on my street made it worth while. (This AM most of my neighbors finished their shoveling so it all looks nice now.)

Who polices maintenance of business districts like Hope Village, Thayer St, Wickenden St., Wayland Square, and Atwells Ave? Who ever it is should be jumping on these businesses to make them clear their sidewalks. Its good for all of the businesses in the area and is totally worth the effort. The same can be said about raking leaves and general overall cleanliness. We complain more loudly about the snow because it actually makes it hard to walk by the businesses but poor general maintenance makes us just keep walking.

I notice when a business takes pride in their property and it makes me more likely to stop there. Hope St. Pizza (in Hope Village) did a very nice job shoveling their sidewalks last night and that

the snow removal this time around was one of the worst. between 12 and 5 or 6, my street had been plowed only once. it had about 4 inches of snow on it when the plow first came through.

i had to pick my girlfriend up at the airport (her flight was obviously delayed quite a bit and it took 3 hours to get her from the philly airport). the highways sucked and i was doing about 30mph max. around 10:30pm we left to go to new hampshire, the highways still sucked and they were just finishing plowing them, long after it had stopped snowing. talk about a horrendous job at snow removal.

I have a 1978 Sunbeam electric snow thrower that cranks like a mother. :yahoo: That snow was the best kind - light and fluffy. I don't understand why people are so lazy. My landlord never shoveled the walk when I lived in Woodlawn, but the girl downstairs was pregnant and my girlfriend had to bring up the groceries to the apt, so I just did it. Today, everybody on my block shovels the sidewalks within 12 hours of the end of the snow, every storm. But I have to say that in between Mt. Pleasant Ave. and Carleton St. you'll find mostly single family homes with a few double-deckers.

Homeownership makes a BIG difference. People who own actually give a shiite, many renters are slobs and think their landlord is scum so they don't take care of anything. Federal Hill is mostly rental housing non-owner occupied.

Trash in the streets... same idea. :sick:

I'm picturing the discharged water spreading across the street/sidewalk and freezing into a sheet of ice... you'd have to be dumb to allow that to happen, but...

They do have sidewalk -sized machines - it's designed to clear sidewalks. The snow that is melted is then stored inside and is discharged into a storm drain...not into the street.

• 11 months later...

we need a snow/ice removal program kind of like cleanscape. City sends them out and then just bills the homeowner/business owner. Of course that won't help with city owned properties, but i think that parks on Atwells are actually under the maintenance jurisdiction of either a developer up there or the commerce/business association.

Archived