Tour De Georgia coming to Chattanooga

HABANERO7

Chattanooga has been selected to be the finish of stage 3, which is an individual time trial (ITT) event for the Tour De Georgia cycling event.

The Tour De Georgia is a 650 mile six day event that hosted cycling teams from 24 countries and drew approximately 800,000 spectators in 2005.

The Tour De Georgia is North America

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lance Armstrong has raced in it recently. Although he won't be in this race, I will be there. There is some awsome American talent in the tour, so we should have some good representation in the TDG

I remember in the late 80's when a three day race was held in Nashville and Atlanta. A time trial was held in Franklin Saturday morning. And a criterium (a circular race over a one kM course) was held in downtown Nashville from Broadway, up First Avenue, West on the cobblestones of Bank Street and down Second to Broadway at a blazing speed.

Three time TDF winner Greg Lemond raced in the crit. but didn't finish when it began to lightly rain. The Seven/Eleven team also raced. There were 20,000 spectators lining the streets for that.

The third race was held in Atlanta in mid town and was a longer circuit race (100 miles + over five to ten mile circular route).

The Nashville race was featured in all the top cycling publications as it was Lemond's return from his gunshot wounds.

Since I'm in the Bradley/Polk area I'm not far from multiple TDG venues. Dalton, Dahlonega, Blairsville, Ellijay, Rome ect... During the 2004 event, me and a coworker of mine went and watched the mountain climb on Brass town Bald, which is Georgia

• 4 months later...

The Tour De Georgia is heading into downtown Chattanooga today... They are going to start shutting down streets at 10 AM

I am so upset that I missed it! It may be several years before they come back. The thought of those guys racing as fast as they possibly can DOWN Lookout Mountain into Chattanooga sends chills down my spine!

The Tour de Georgia people are saying that the Chattanooga leg this year was a smashing success. They want to make it an annual event! There were at least 30,000 that attended with large crowds going up Lookout Mountain and downtown in Chattanooga. I see this becoming a grand event over time with 100,000 people or more coming out for the festivities!

Archived