Should Piazza Bergamo Be Paved?

RestedTraveler

Piazza Bergamo Improvements  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Should Piazza Bergamo be Paved?

• No
    • Yes
    • A Compromise Design should be Submitted

There are plans in the works, as discussed in another thread, to re-work Piazza Bergamo. Part of these plans call for the small patch of grass outside of the Mast General Store to be replaced with pavers and a fountain that projects video images. This small area is pictured here:

69850049_56f89b2742.jpg

Some dog owners have voiced their opposition to these plans because the small patch of grass serves as a playground and bathroom for their pets.

What are your feelings on this? Should the Park at Piazza Bergamo pictured here be paved? Should it be left alone? Should some compromise between having a plaza and a park be reached?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll start some discussion. I think it should be paved. It's in the way if you try to walk from Main Street to the BoA building- just inconvienient. I'd love for that parking lot on the other side of the little wall/divider thing to be developed and create stores that face the piazza. It would enclose the space almost completely and improve the area hugely. Not to mention it would fill that gap on Main Street where there's a parking lot :sick:.

Anyway, PAVE IT! It would give North Main another shot in the arm. I feel like the North Main Street portion of the CBD is being "sort of" left behing and almost forgotten in a way. There's so much going on in the West End with the new ballpark, riverplace, the camperdown, and all of the little projects like stores and whatnot that they have helped spur... But downtown overall is very healthy and all that I'm saying is let's not get too caught up in the new area- and I don't think it will especially with the city pushing for businesses to move downtown... which I'm really excited about!

PS, it's late, so if this doesnt make a lick of sense, don't hold it against me. I just had an urge to post

I like the idea of recreating a piazza in Italy very much, but I would also like to see plenty of shade trees and other landscaping go around the edges. More shops around the perimater would be the best addition yet, and would help to ensure the overall success of the renovated piazza's pedestrian prominence. The fountain idea is thrilling and just the kind of mentality we need to see here in Greenville. :)

I really dig that Crown Fountain at Millenium Park. :wub:

Something like that at Piazza Bergamo would be forward-thinking.

I can't help but wonder ... if more people realized what was proposed for this area, you'd think support would be overwhelmingly for the changes to be implemented. They're keeping this too much on the QT, methinks.

I can't help but wonder ... if more people realized what was proposed for this area, you'd think support would be overwhelmingly for the changes to be implemented. They're keeping this too much on the QT, methinks.

I agree - I'm never one to recommend paving green spaces until I see what's going in there. After all, this is "Green"ville.

I agree that the idea of recreating an Italian piazza is very appealing. I see no reason not to do it. I also think they should tear down that bridge thing that separates the Main St area from the Piazza. It can be seen in the background of the above photo.

OK. It's time for me to chime in with my 2 cents, now that I've given the poll time to gather some opinions.

Here's mine.

I think that the plan for the Piazza, as-is, is a very attractive one, especially now that I've had time to look it over and now that I've got more information. I voted for "Pave" simply because I approve of the proposed changes. I'd love to see Piazza Bergamo transformed into what the architects have drawn up. Furthermore, I especially love 1) the idea to remove the bridge building to open the Piazza up and provide more of a presence for the Bank of America Tower on Main Street and 2) the idea to create a visual and sensual attraction similar to the Crown Fountain in Chicago.

I do, however, understand where the dog owners are coming from. Once this green is gone, the only other places downtown where they can take their dogs are the parks (Falls Park, Linky Stone Park, McPherson Park) and Heritage Green. There are very few green patches downtown.

That being said, I think the City of Greenville should make a serious effort to provide some small green spaces for dog owners to replace this one. In fact, Laurens Street between the Piazza and Washington Street (or even between College Street and Washington Street, for that matter) could be turned into a lengthy "green strip" that dog owners could use to allow their pets to stretch their legs, etc.

If the city could provide such an ammenity for dog owners, then there should be no problem with the proposed plans to pave over the Piazza and provide us with additional urban and cultural ammenities.

I agree. People need to realize that the rest of the world doesn't love their dog as much as they do (and that especially goes for their dog's feces). I think we definitely need more space for dogs to run around and play; a bark park or two is vital downtown - but owners need to do the right thing and scoop it up!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived