York Pa.

herodotus

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^is that so FiveDay? Are you originally from York? If not how did you choose that for your college? I was a poly sci major so I am glad all that tuition money paid off some how (at least I know York was a U.S. Capital). Hope your studies go well, and let us know about any happenings or developments in the York area, that is one of the most overlooked areas of the state but so full of potential!

^^is that so FiveDay? Are you originally from York? If not how did you choose that for your college? I was a poly sci major so I am glad all that tuition money paid off some how (at least I know York was a U.S. Capital). Hope your studies go well, and let us know about any happenings or developments in the York area, that is one of the most overlooked areas of the state but so full of potential!

I'm not a native Yorkie. Parents live in the northern exurbian area of NYC. I am currently a senior here. I choose York because of it's affordiabilty, good financial aide, a variety of majors (I wasn't sure when I was a freshmen) and I was assured that I could make the cross country and track teams. Studies have gone well the last few semesters after some early turmoil and difficulties.

Devolpment projects in York City

1)Minor League Baseball Stadium has been on the table for at least 2 yrs but the city is having troubles resolving the costs and tax related issues of the stadium

2)Leader's Heights Highway realigned: Major reconstruction of I-83 around exit 12 should be completed, elimanting a dangerous curve on the road. In addititon to that, reconstruction of business route 83 and I-83 to complete it to a full interchange (currently access is for north bound traffic on 83, and can so south on it toward baltimore as is.

3) Northwest Triangle: Plans to convert abandoned, run down factories along the Codorus Creek and North Geroge Street into restaurants and entertainment venues nearest the proposed independent league baseball stadium. No businesses named or site plan relased as of this date.

4) York College west campus: Where I live now. College will be opening a 150,000 square foot fieldhouse and class building that will more than quadrople the current gym now (built when the college moved to current location in late 1950s and old gym will converted into a new English and History/ Poli Science classroom/offices once the new gym opens in October (of course after I'm a graduate). 2 new apartment style dorms about 350 students total has been completed in the last 3 years. 1 new dorm under construction currently, I think it should be opening for the fall holding 150 students. Library completed cutted and redone in the Spring/Summer of 2004 and is completly awesome.

As for York County

1)Plans to turn the former BonTon distribution center in Springettsbury Township into a giant 'lifestyle center.' No merchants named

2)Plan to extend the York County Hertiage rail trail from when it ends up to John Rudy County Park (about 5-6 miles, depnding on route)

3) Broadly, the southern bit of the county is becoming more suburban. Each time I have to go toward Baltimore for a meet, there are always signs on the highways for devolpment's such as 'Regent's Glen" and more houses in the middle of cownfields.

Is the Hotel Yorketowne still open as a hotel? York really looks as though it has been preserved well. Also, what is the interesting building with the galleries and the Victorian tower?

The Yorktowne Hotel is still open. The building with the galleries and tower is actually an apartmnet bulding that is 1 or 2 blocks north of Continetal square.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Baseball Stadium is Apporved for York

The York City Council has approved a proposal for a baseball stadium and recreation complex.

The council's action allows the city to buy and demolish homes and other buildings in the Arch Street neighborhood. The next step is for the City Redevelopment Authority to submit a design for the stadium complex.

• 2 weeks later...

Three York County Communities Consider Merging Tue Jan 31, 12:53 PM ET

Manchester and Mount Wolf boroughs and East Manchester Township are forming a committee to study a possible merger.

Representatives of the three York County communities will be on the panel, which will hold its first meeting Feb. 16 at the East Manchester Township building.

The three municipalities have received a $10,000 intergovernmental cooperation grant from York County to study a possible merger, and they have hired the Pennsylvania Economy League to study their budgets.

The communities will look at tax differences if they remain separate or if they combine. They will also look into what services could be consolidated.

The committee hopes to make a recommendation by October or November

www.wgal.com

• 2 weeks later...

The proposed Northwest Triangle project has been listed among the state's priority brownfield sites, according to a report called "Moving Pennsylvania Forward."

The York County project is among projects in six counties designated as priority areas for revitalization of underused and abandoned industrial sites to create jobs and spark economic growth.

for more info http://www.ydr.com/newsfull/ci_3519611

York is looking really nice. what retail would the baseball stadium be close to?

I have not heard any spefic retail going right near the baseball stadium, but I know there will not be any box stores since there are plenty of them with 10 minutes driving from the site and a regional mall within that 10 minute radius.

Another subdivision is going to York County. I just saw on the local news that the Springwood Golf Course in York Township and its 160 acres has been sold to a Lancaster based devoleper Keystone Custom Homes for $13 million and they plan on converting it in a subvision. The yet-be-named subdivision will feature a mix of single-family homes, townhomes and carriage houses or duplexes. The 1st stage, pending approval will begin in 2007. Many golfers and local residents upset.

http://www.ydr.com/newsfull/ci_3526713#bbox109276

Beautiful city

I am currently making rounds through the smaller cities of the state. Dubois was my last visit. I've been to Easton, Scranton, Allentown, Bedford, Kittanning, Erie, Johnstown, Somerset, Altoona.

It is a great experience.

I'll have to make it to York

Prepare for a very ugly sight driving down 83 South particullary around the 238 intersection (looking west), nothing but a bunch of mc houses with a little reminasance of farm land around there

fiveday,

cheer up my man, at least York is growing some, I love the picturesque scenes between Philly and the 'burgh but if this state is ever gonna come into the 21st Century we might being seeing vast reductions on the wilderness areas. Then again I would hope for more quality growth then "mchouses" lol.

• 2 weeks later...

More sprawl coming to York. Pasch Construction is less than one month away from breaking ground on 174 duplexes in York Township that will be marketed to potential buyers age 55 and older.

Built alongside Equine Meadows on Springwood Road, The Paddock at Equine Meadows will start construction in June with plans for the first duplexes to be occupied by fall, said owner Timothy F. Pasch.

The average 2,000- to 2,500-square-foot duplexes will range in price from $225,000 to $350,000, he said.

There goes another 32 acres of semi-rural land.

http://www.ydr.com/newsfull/ci_3577313

I've grown accustomed to blocking out all but the centers of the towns. Unfortunately McMansions are not unique to York, but encircle every city in the country. To me what counts is how the city centers have responded to the threat of the "BURBS" and how some have managed to come through with great character. Probably this spring I will hit the roads again, exploring Pennsylvania.

York in the sprintime oooh lala

:D

York county to look toward traditonal neighborhood devolpment not only as a way to have affordable housing but to also limit sprawl promotion and to keep open space.

Push for affordable housing

County planners and housing experts say a new type of development might be one answer to York County's affordable housing issues.

The traditional neighborhood development would include a mix of homes and businesses -- much like a traditional borough or city . . .

http://www.yorkdispatch.com/local/ci_3577866

Topic wasn't even addressed in the other paper in town that I usually read. :)

Archived