York Pa.

herodotus

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"[The agreement] Creates provisions for bringing a Baltimore Orioles-affiliated minor-league team to the stadium, if one becomes available."

That is fantastic news for York and CSE Pa! Minor League baseball really is the more fan friendly sport during the summer. Keep us posted fiveday!

Properties are being bought to make room for the stadium.

Acquisition of properties needed to make way for a proposed 5,260-seat stadium in York has begun.

The York City Redevelopment Authority settled on two properties Friday, the first in a series of purchases expected to take place during the next few months.

Other property owners that have sales options with the redevelopment authority will be notified this week that they now have 90 days - or until June 11 - to vacate, now that settlement has begun, said Matt Jackson, the city's redevelopment authority coordinator.

http://www.ydr.com/yorkcitysuburban/ci_3600769

• 3 weeks later...

Fees proposed to slow devolpment

New legislation could slow York County's growth by clearing the way for new development fees and allowing townships and boroughs to halt new construction.

Supporters of the proposal say it would help stop spiraling property tax increases by forcing developers -- not taxpayers -- to pay for needed improvements to roads, the expansion of schools and other needs created by their projects.

Critics, on the other hand, contend the fees are excessive and say the proposal would further raise housing costs beyond the reach of the average York countian.

The legislation would allow municipalities and school districts to charge an impact fee of up to $26,000 for each new single-family home, depending on the size of the development. The cost could reach $31,000 for the construction of a new multi-family home

http://www.yorkdispatch.com/local/ci_3650932

fiveday,

cheer up my man, at least York is growing some, I love the picturesque scenes between Philly and the 'burgh but if this state is ever gonna come into the 21st Century we might being seeing vast reductions on the wilderness areas. Then again I would hope for more quality growth then "mchouses" lol.

haha... yeah right... the Brookings Institute ranked Pennsylvania as having the 5th worst sprawl in the country from 1990-2000 despite the fact that it had the 3rd slowest growth rate. "Vast reduction of wilderness areas" does not necessarily equate to "growth".

^^Evergrey I was unaware of that study, great info, again I think the best solution to zero growth sprawl is consolidation and county lead local governments, it would make it inefficent for developers to play off every 5 sq. miles of tax zone against the other.

New Grocery store and shopping complex redevolpment plan gets a step closer to completion

The York City Council voted yesterday to convey ownership of a city-owned maintenance shed and salt dome to the city redevelopment authority, which could allow the properties to become part of a grocery store and shopping center.

City officials said the deal is necessary to jump start a $16 million redevelopment project. Those plans previously stalled when the York City School District refused to sell land for the project.

http://www.yorkdispatch.com/local/ci_3675145

Also a time-table has been released for the construction of the baseball stadium. Construction is going to start early Augus and will be finished next June.

http://www.yorkdispatch.com/local/ci_3675109?source=rss

That looks great fiveday! Although the ballpark will be a much nicer addition then the strip mall and grocery store, York should be proud it has worked so hard to keep business IN the city, and redevelop former non-taxable govt. land to do it!

• 5 weeks later...

Northwest Triangle Project is starting to take off. However, the properties needed for the redevolpment are being bought at a very high preminum.

Some of the properties needed to jump-start the Northwest Triangle Initiative, one of the biggest redevelopment projects in York's history, are going at a premium.

Wednesday, the city's redevelopment authority agreed to purchase the Pullman property at North Street and North George Street for $75,000, nearly four times the $20,480 assessed value.

The board also authorized eminent domain proceedings against Alfa Green, a property owner who rejected a $2 million offer, more than 12 times the assessed value.

http://www.ydr.com/newsfull/ci_3809772

York's central business district is surrounded by redevelopment areas, where comprehensive plans seek to guide the city's efforts to fight blight -- with one exception.

In an area just outside the YWCA's Community Renaissance redevelopment project, the city redevelopment authority has been working to acquire a number of properties in an effort dubbed "Building Blocks."

This gap would be filled with this redevelopment plan," Jackson said.

The plan-to-be could include the area around the city's Voni Grimes Gym on East College Avenue, Jackson said. It could also include the area around Parking Lot 11, a mostly vacant lot that has gotten attention from developers.

http://www.yorkdispatch.com/local/ci_3810364

Great news fiveday, interested on how that will turn out for York, please remember though that when quoting an article you MUST provide commentary, this is how we ensure that we keep the forum free and online and free of any copyright enfringements, please edit that post with added viewpoint and let us know how those develop for York and its environs.

The York City redevelopment authority voted yesterday to authorize the use of eminent domain to seize the Ohio Blenders property, a 3-acre site along the Codorus Creek that plays a key part in the city's Northwest Triangle redevelopment plan.

http://www.yorkdispatch.com/local/ci_3810429?source=rss

I think that is it a pretty good move to allow for eminment domain to happen. That property is in the middle of the whole northwest triangle redevolpment project, so without the site the project couldn't happen. The city wants to use some of that parcel to move the railines that are currently in the area that is going to be fixed.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting updates fiveday, where abouts are you living now since you graduated? You missing SE Pennsylvania, looking to return?

I moved back to Southwestern CT to my parents house. I'm missing some of the things of SE PA that we don't have here like Sheetz and farmland. SW CT just seems so much nicer and more cultured than old York. I'm going to try to make it back to campus in the fall to visit my friends, if I'm not working too much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Archived