Mitch Mustain Changes Mind about Arkansas

mcheiss

It looks like Mitch Mustain has withdrew his commitment to Arkansas yesterday in a private meeting with Houston Nutt, his family, and his coaches.

A sad day for Arkansas..

For those of you who don't know who Mitch Mustain is, he is the quarterback for Springdale High School who is ranked the number 1 or 2 quarterback in the nation, along with the Gatorade Player of the Year Award.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard that he's been thinking about Tennessee.

That one of many rumors. There's also an article basically saying he didn't really decommit, he and his family are in the dark about what's going on at UA since Wittke was let go and they haven't been contacted. There's a team meeting at 3 today and a press conference at 5, supposedly.

Read here for updates if you want:

www.woopig.net

Ah there's a topic on this also. I already posted some of this in the other sports topic. I have heard that he's unsure because of the changes in the coaching staff also. I've also wondered if maybe people have mentioned things like whether Nutt will utilize his talents very much. Nutt isn't know for doing much with quarterbacks. I mean he waited most of the season to finally decide Robert Johnson wasn't very good. Who know maybe Mustain could have said it just to keep all the locals off his back during the Springdale football season. Because you know if he committed to another team everyone would probably bother him to change his mind. I guess we can only hope that he hasn't totally ruled Arkansas off. That he's just exploring his options and waiting to see what will happen with the Arkansas coaching staff.

Ah there's a topic on this also. I already posted some of this in the other sports topic. I have heard that he's unsure because of the changes in the coaching staff also. I've also wondered if maybe people have mentioned things like whether Nutt will utilize his talents very much. Nutt isn't know for doing much with quarterbacks. I mean he waited most of the season to finally decide Robert Johnson wasn't very good. Who know maybe Mustain could have said it just to keep all the locals off his back during the Springdale football season. Because you know if he committed to another team everyone would probably bother him to change his mind. I guess we can only hope that he hasn't totally ruled Arkansas off. That he's just exploring his options and waiting to see what will happen with the Arkansas coaching staff.

Don't read too much into it yet. Apparently his mom's not pleased that Wittke was fired and nobody's been talking to them and letting them know what's going on.

We'll see where they stand when the new OC is announced. Hopefully today we'll hear something.

Other than Mitch, this is a very poor recruiting class. We get a little worse every year. This freshman class was decent only because there were a couple of guys (McFadden and Fairchild included) from Arkansas that wouldn't have left if we hired Richard Simmons to coach us.

Don't read too much into it yet. Apparently his mom's not pleased that Wittke was fired and nobody's been talking to them and letting them know what's going on.

We'll see where they stand when the new OC is announced. Hopefully today we'll hear something.

Other than Mitch, this is a very poor recruiting class. We get a little worse every year. This freshman class was decent only because there were a couple of guys (McFadden and Fairchild included) from Arkansas that wouldn't have left if we hired Richard Simmons to coach us.

Yeah this would really suck if Arkansas just assumed that he was in the bag and never bothered telling him what was going on or anything. As more time goes on the more frustrated I've become with Nutt. Sure it's nice to have a local person here as coach but if he can't keep local talent in state then a whole lot of good it does us.

I've been in Nutt's corner for quite a while but this season has really bothered me quite a bit. I want to see some results in recruiting or on the field before I place faith in him again.

Yeah this would really suck if Arkansas just assumed that he was in the bag and never bothered telling him what was going on or anything. As more time goes on the more frustrated I've become with Nutt. Sure it's nice to have a local person here as coach but if he can't keep local talent in state then a whole lot of good it does us.

I've been in Nutt's corner for quite a while but this season has really bothered me quite a bit. I want to see some results in recruiting or on the field before I place faith in him again.

I could care less if it's a local person or not, I just want someone qualified.

Butch Davis is local and overqualified, if he's really interested I hope Broyles doesn't screw around until he's unavailable like he did with him once already and like he did with Jimmy Johnson.

I could care less if it's a local person or not, I just want someone qualified.

Butch Davis is local and overqualified, if he's really interested I hope Broyles doesn't screw around until he's unavailable like he did with him once already and like he did with Jimmy Johnson.

I think the reason I'd prefer someone with ties is to help keep them there. I could just see someone having a great year or two and then leaving to go somewhere else. But yeah I really wonder if Butch Davis will be available in the near future. I hear his name is also being mentioned for the NFL as well.

Here's a question for everyone. If Mustain does decide to go elsewhere what would people consider worse, that he verbally commited getting everyone's hopes up to then change his mind and leave or to have never said being commited to the Razorbacks and just go out of state like most of the rest of the Springdale 5?

I have a lot to say about this situation right now, but I'm holding off until we know for sure what's really happening. I'm avoiding Razorback message boards like the plague today, as interested as I am.

I already have strong opinions about the coaching situation, but this could actually be the nail in Nutt's coffin. Let's hope that Mitch stays home.

I have a lot to say about this situation right now, but I'm holding off until we know for sure what's really happening. I'm avoiding Razorback message boards like the plague today, as interested as I am.

I already have strong opinions about the coaching situation, but this could actually be the nail in Nutt's coffin. Let's hope that Mitch stays home.

Yeah I am tempted to check out some of the sports boards also but I want to wait till more details are out and not just rumors. I wouldn't get any hopes about Nutt being fired even if Mustain doesn't commit to the Razorbacks after all.

Yeah I am tempted to check out some of the sports boards also but I want to wait till more details are out and not just rumors. I wouldn't get any hopes about Nutt being fired even if Mustain doesn't commit to the Razorbacks after all.

Sure, we would all like to see Mitch Mustain lead Arkansas to glory the next few years. But, as of now, he's a high school kid with a Mother that wants to be consulted about U of A coaching changes. Give me a break. I hope he has a great career, stays healthy, and makes a fortune in the pros. Anywhere he goes, they will build a program around him, if he stays healthy and motivated.

As for the Arkansas football program, I'm from another state and never cared what the Razorbacks did. I became a fan this year the last 5 games of the year. If Mitch knows whats good for him, he'll stay here and throw against a defense gearing up to try to stop Darren McFadden. (If he's good enough to take the starting job) Going to a school that will let him throw 50 times a game without a running game will just get him hurt.

I don't think Arkansas has any head coach changes coming in the next few years. As for defense, anyone who saw the LSU game should be chomping at the bit for next year. (Mitch or no Mitch)

Sure, we would all like to see Mitch Mustain lead Arkansas to glory the next few years. But, as of now, he's a high school kid with a Mother that wants to be consulted about U of A coaching changes. Give me a break. I hope he has a great career, stays healthy, and makes a fortune in the pros. Anywhere he goes, they will build a program around him, if he stays healthy and motivated.

As for the Arkansas football program, I'm from another state and never cared what the Razorbacks did. I became a fan this year the last 5 games of the year. If Mitch knows whats good for him, he'll stay here and throw against a defense gearing up to try to stop Darren McFadden. (If he's good enough to take the starting job) Going to a school that will let him throw 50 times a game without a running game will just get him hurt.

I don't think Arkansas has any head coach changes coming in the next few years. As for defense, anyone who saw the LSU game should be chomping at the bit for next year. (Mitch or no Mitch)

If it were my kid and he was the #1 QB in the country I wouldn't let him play for Houston Nutt. Why not play for Cutcliffe and Fulmer at Tennessee? They'll still run the ball half the time or more and they know how to put QBs in the NFL. Notre Dame won't pass as much as they run, either, Mitch isn't considering Texas Tech or anything.

I also would like to know who the QB coach would be my son would be playing for before committing to anything. I think that's reasonable.

As for the head coaching changes, well you're just out of the loop on that one. A mediocre year next year and Nutt's gone. He may have to have an exceptional year to keep his job.

I hope so too.

I wish him the best to where He goes.

I hope so too.

I wish him the best to where He goes.

I think a numver of people in northwest Arkansas will feel a bit betrayed if he doesn't come now. Not that this justifies it but I think a lot of people outsode of Springdale up here started supporting Springdale because they thought they were seeing some signs of future Razorbacks. Overall I guess I'd wish him well although that also matters where he goes. If he goes to texas or Tennessee then now I don't wish him the best. Evenmore so with Tenessee. To change your mind is one thing but to then go to another team in the conference and could be playing against the team he orginally commited. Then no, I do not wish him the best at all. If he wants no hard feelings from me he'll have to go play somewhere else.

What are you, four years old?

Grow up.

If he's on a rival team then no I don't want him to well at the expense of the Razorbacks. I know he has to do what's best for himself, I understand. But I think he could at least look for another team that doesn't compete against Arkansas or is in the same conference.

If he's on a rival team then no I don't want him to well at the expense of the Razorbacks. I know he has to do what's best for himself, I understand. But I think he could at least look for another team that doesn't compete against Arkansas or is in the same conference.

Are you serious?

Why would he care if the school he is going to is in the same conference? He has no obligation whatsoever to the UA.

Are you serious?

Why would he care if the school he is going to is in the same conference? He has no obligation whatsoever to the UA.

No he has no obligation to the state of Arkansas at all. But I don't see why people should have any obligations to him either in the state. Am I supposed to root for him to set an NCAA record against Arkansas if he plays for Tenessee too? He should go where he feels it's best for him. But I'm not going to go root for him to beat Arkansas. I certainly don't owe that to him either.

What are you, four years old?

Grow up.

That's the reality. If you leave Arkansas, you'd better plan on staying gone. Just ask Eric Mitchell. The exception is Keith Jackson and only because he came in at a very bad time for the UA at a coaching change and since then he's given tremendously to the state and to Little Rock. It didn't hurt that he sent his son to UA and he became an all-SEC defensive lineman.

You may not like that but it's reality in Arkansas. He leaves the state and I could give two turds as to what becomes of him.

I'm not saying I wish him a horrible life or anything. I just don't see why I should wish him the best or root for him if he ends up playing on a rival team. I certainly won't say it's a class act on my part. But I certainly wouldn't say orally committing to the Razorbacks then going to a rival team is either in my own opinion. Didn't mean for this to be a big deal. Anyway we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I'm not saying I wish him a horrible life or anything. I just don't see why I should wish him the best or root for him if he ends up playing on a rival team. I certainly won't say it's a class act on my part. But I certainly wouldn't say orally committing to the Razorbacks then going to a rival team is either in my own opinion. Didn't mean for this to be a big deal. Anyway we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I agree with you, Mith. If a kid spurns his home state, then we have no obligation to him. I don't wish anything bad on the kid, but I'm not cheering for him. He'd be like any other player who's not a Hog, I won't care. Likewise, if an kid from another state chooses to play for Arkansas, then I'm cheering for him.

In Mustain's case, he had a press conference on statewide television declaring his intentions to play for the University of Arkansas. He said he wanted to win where it would mean something to him. The people of Arkansas followed his senior season with much excitement because we were excited about him being a Razorback. In all fairness, I haven't seen any quotes attributed to Mitch, and I do believe that he'll end up being a Razorback.

I agree with you, Mith. If a kid spurns his home state, then we have no obligation to him. I don't wish anything bad on the kid, but I'm not cheering for him. He'd be like any other player who's not a Hog, I won't care. Likewise, if an kid from another state chooses to play for Arkansas, then I'm cheering for him.

In Mustain's case, he had a press conference on statewide television declaring his intentions to play for the University of Arkansas. He said he wanted to win where it would mean something to him. The people of Arkansas followed his senior season with much excitement because we were excited about him being a Razorback. In all fairness, I haven't seen any quotes attributed to Mitch, and I do believe that he'll end up being a Razorback.

That's true, he very well could end up deciding to come back now that Malzahn is OC, who knows. Perhaps I didn't word this the way I should have originally. I'm not hoping any injury on him or anything bad if he does go somewhere else. If he decides to go to a rival school then I will root against him. I'm sorry if that seems harsh to some but that's the way it is.

That's true, he very well could end up deciding to come back now that Malzahn is OC, who knows. Perhaps I didn't word this the way I should have originally. I'm not hoping any injury on him or anything bad if he does go somewhere else. If he decides to go to a rival school then I will root against him. I'm sorry if that seems harsh to some but that's the way it is.

Mitch finally spoke out on this issue and what he says doesn't make me feel good at all about him coming here.

Mitch speaks up

That's the reality. If you leave Arkansas, you'd better plan on staying gone. Just ask Eric Mitchell. The exception is Keith Jackson and only because he came in at a very bad time for the UA at a coaching change and since then he's given tremendously to the state and to Little Rock. It didn't hurt that he sent his son to UA and he became an all-SEC defensive lineman.

You may not like that but it's reality in Arkansas. He leaves the state and I could give two turds as to what becomes of him.

You really need to take a closer look.

Our head coach played at OSU and he could take a crap on the fifty yard line and not get fired. It doesn't matter if you leave the state to go play college football, unless you go win the Heisman somewhere no one will remember five years after you graduate anyway.

If Mitch went to ND and got a degree he'd be able to have the same success he would have if he got a degree from the UA. Sure, that ND degree and football letter won't get you a middle management job at Wal-Mart or Tyson, but then again he won't be needing that job with a ND degree either.

Archived