Jackson lands another new auto parts manufacturer

Rural King

Jackson kept up its rapid industrial expansion today with the landing of an US Farathane auto-parts plant, a company that focuses on injection-molding of specialty parts. US Farathane bought an old distrubution building this morning and the announcement made the Jackson Sun webpage by 1:30pm when I checked it. Jackson beat out several other southern cities for the plant, and US Farathane cited the willingness of Jackson State Community College to provide specialized training programs, the correct size and price of the building (and its ability to be expanded on), and overall better fit of the community for the company's operation. The company did cite that other cities were more aggressive with financial incentives though. US Farathane stated they located this plant in the South to better serve the exanding auto-manufacturing base in the South.

So Jackson lands what are more than likely 100+ higher wage jobs and did it without offering better financial incentives. Pretty impressive!

What great news this is!! I mean the impact will be seen in a matter of months, thats awesome!

Jackson Sun Article:

http://www.jacksonsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...NEWS01/51206001

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats awesome news. Overall in the last 5 years how many jobs have been lost and created including this 100+ number... ball park figure is just fine... industrial sector jobs

The Jackson Sun had a list of all the industrial growth and losses for the last two years in its hardcopy version today, so I will provide that as indicator of Jackson.

ARJ Expansion 17

Basell Expansion 6

Bobrick Washroom Equipment Expansion 13

Butler Manufacturing New 225

Davidson Titles Expansion 8

Delta Faucet Expansion 123

DIEnamic Tool and Die Inc. Expansion 3

Element Aluminum New 80

Foam Fabricators Inc. Expansion 15

Forbo Adhesives Expansion 5

Gerdau Ameristeel Expansion 16

Graves Metal Products Expansion 6

Kerr Group Expansion 15

M.O.S.T. New 60

Maytag Expansion 60

Owens-Corning Expansion 12

Pinnacle Foods Expansion 40

Porter Cable Layoff 350* Purchased by Black and Decker, duplicate jobs

eliminated

Tennalum Expansion 20

UGN Expansion 130

Yellow Expansion 6

Young Touchstone Expansion 90

ARJ Expansion 50

Bodine Aluminum (Toyota Engine Plant) New 20 - will be 200+ when at full operation

Jarvis Center New 70

Pinnacle Foods Expansion 200

Porter Cable Expansion 250

Source: Jackson Sun - Jackson, TN

It is clear that Jackson is doing EXTREMELY well is industrial expansions, with only one major layoff, with 200 of those 350 layed off jobs replaced at the same plant within a year. Jackson is the economic engine of West Tennessee -ie non-Memphis metro WTN- at the moment by far.

Another article on the new US Farathone plant, basically the same story as the breaking news story from yesterday, with a few more details and facts:

http://www.jacksonsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../512070315/1002

I'll do a seperate post on the rest of West Tennessee, which will more of a summary on how the other towns in West Tennessee are doing.

It definitely looks like Jackson is doing better than most in keeping its manufacturing jobs and attracting new ones. I hope other cities in West Tennessee are taking note of what Jackson is doing, and hopefully learn to better attract businesses as well. I think that Tennessee has done a pretty good job of improving the roads infrastructure in West Tennessee. I think that the area is primed for growth as long as the right leadership is in place.

There has been a proposal for a retail/theatre complex designed to fit into the downtown fabric, but I have not heard anything on that for several months. They also have just finished repairing and refurbishing the "New Southern Hotel" and its residents (retirees) have moved back in. That building looks very nice now. Jackson is making noise like they would like to revitalize their downtown, but some of the developments that have been allowed to be built in and around downtown recently, not to mention in the past, are not very urban in nature.

I have some pictures I need to post of Jackson, so you all can see what they are facing as far as redeveloping their downtown.

Archived