Hartford Neighborhoods

GregV

A recent article in the Courant (below) has made us aware of a resurgence in the Parkville neighborhood of Hartford. As one of the few areas outside downtown that has faced a recent influx of private investment, we must ask what can be done in our other neighborhoods to market them to private investors. Is the Parkville renaissance a result of its abundant supply of large, historic loft spaces, or merely the product of its bordering the affluent West End and West Hartford?

Let us know what is happening in other neighborhoods around town that the press may not have noticed yet, and what can be done to ensure that this renovation is not an isolated event.

Parkville Article

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A recent article in the Courant (below) has made us aware of a resurgence in the Parkville neighborhood of Hartford. As one of the few areas outside downtown that has faced a recent influx of private investment, we must ask what can be done in our other neighborhoods to market them to private investors. Is the Parkville renaissance a result of its abundant supply of large, historic loft spaces, or merely the product of its bordering the affluent West End and West Hartford?

Let us know what is happening in other neighborhoods around town that the press may not have noticed yet, and what can be done to ensure that this renovation is not an isolated event.

Parkville Article

This post is a long time coming...Thanks....

The problem with Parkville, at least as far as us Trinity Students is concerned, is that it is on Park Ave. Park Ave has such a bad reputation here because of Frog Hollow, which almost no Trinity student would even drive through. I love Parkville myself (and frog Hollow though it is more dangerous) but its hard to get out there because I can't convince anyone to come with me anywhere if we're not going to West Hartford or Avon. (sorry about the rant)

There was an article about a month ago in the New York Times about the the development on Park Street.

Park Street is also an area filled with people WALKING and DRIVING, people are walking going to differant shops all the time. It is one of the only streets in the city in my opinion that is always hopping (Between I-84, the old Bradlees, Park Place Towers and Washington Street by Hartford Hospital and the Bushnell at least)

• 2 weeks later...

Article in this mornings Hartford Courant (monday) that there is a class at Trinity that requires students to go and visit Park Street. Walk around, eat somewhere, talk to businessowners, etc. Article talks about students who have been to a variety of Hispanic countries but never knew about Park Street which is right around the corner. I think this is wonderful.

Article in this mornings Hartford Courant (monday) that there is a class at Trinity that requires students to go and visit Park Street. Walk around, eat somewhere, talk to businessowners, etc. Article talks about students who have been to a variety of Hispanic countries but never knew about Park Street which is right around the corner. I think this is wonderful.

Trinity students shouldn't be forced to go out into Hartford, that will only create resentment among the city. The one argument I get into more than any other on campus with students is if a student thinks Hartford is a third-world hellhole (and most of them do) why the hell do they go to Trinity right in the center of that third-world hellhole? I've lost almost all hope for my fellow Trinity students, most of whom are a bunch of rich Zenophobes who want the campus to be fenced off from Hartford and can't understand why the school cannot accomplish that. Trinity has a great location IMO, top-notch academics, but 90% of the students are inward looking schmucks. (sorry to be so harsh but honestly, what kind of students advocate that a campus with almost no internal road system be fenced in?)...........Also, on the other side of the coin at Trinity we have rich, white, New Canaan liberals who claim that our recent decision to make any and all visitors to our library sign in is racist. This is of course is based on the fact that most of our visitors are from Hartford and most people from Hartford are not white (of course, my white mother has to sign in too)....sorry, just my little Trinity rant, feel free to ignore it, love the school, but would like some smarter students.

Archived