Lofts of Greenville

Danmire

Well the construction going on at the Monaghan Mill is really picking up steam. They are working away inside now erecting walls and there are even a couple of windows in place. The Sign out front now has a rendering and says they will be opening in Spring of 06. i belive the plan right now is for them to be apartments. Obviously they will be high end ones. I think there are 184 or so going in. To give you some scale the Monaghan Mill is twice as long as the Mills Mill. They also have had a grant approved to re-do Smythe St leading up to it with lights similar to downtown and also turn the old Mill Parking lot across the road from it into a park. It's nice living on this street and being able to monitor the progress every day. I really think the Mill coming back to life will have a huge positive impact on the surrounding area. Managed to sneak up to the 4th floor over the summer and the views to downtown are fantastic. And with the western corridor finished it's only a 5 minute drive to downtown.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for that update, Danmire! These apartments aren't really too high in price - starting in the $500s per month, if I remember correctly. It will be interesting to see how much positive growth takes place once the mill is totally renovated and occupied. I like the proximity to downtown and the idea of living in an old building, but the neighborhood isn't the most desireable place to live at present. Good things are sure to come though. :thumbsup:

Here are some shots of the Monaghan Mill looking down Smythe St, at the Project Sign and then the view back up Smythe St from the Mill.

I think this Mill revitalization will really bring the surrounding neighbourhood up with it. I think it really is the spark this place needed. West Washington St also comes out right by the mill. If you head out past the Fine Arts Center on West Washington you will go over the new bridge and get right to the mill. Also if you continue on down Smythe St from the Mill about a mile and a half you get to all the artists studios in West Greenville.

Hopefully the symbiosis for all the different projects in the area will filter out into the whole community.

Mill.jpg

View down Smythe st.

Mill1.jpg

View down Smythe St

Mill2.jpg

Closer view of Mill

Sign.jpg

Project Sign

SmytheSt.jpg

View up Smythe St from Mill.

It's definitely a bit of a wasteland down through woodside avenue. The Woodside Mill is there which would be great to see get develeoped and The old Parker Middle School which is being used by Greenville High now would be a great building to re-develop. Maybe once Monaghan Mill is finished it will spur some development further down Woodside Ave to West Greenville and the Artsists Studios.

• 4 weeks later...

Their are a few of these renovations going on. Also is Pendleton Mill in Pendleton, Baily and Mayfair Mill in Spartanburg, and Clifton #2 in Spartanburg. Also Inman Mill apparently recently sold for the same reason.

Thanks btoy! Pendleton is a cute town. Didn't know they were converting their mill. Do you know a website, or who is doing the project?

The developers who are doing the monaghan mill are doing a couple of other mills in the area as well. I believe one in Spartanburg. I'm hoping there will actually be some information released on it soon. Ther was an article a couple of months back in the greenville journal but nothing since.

• 2 weeks later...

They have just erected a huge banner on the mill now advertising a summer opening and some of the amenities for the Lofts of Greenville, along with a contact number.

Called the number and found out that these will be apartments, no condos. They are getting a leasing agent in at the start of February who will begin the push to lease these out. found out they have a website now at

www.theLoftsofGreenville.com

So hopefully there should be some information out on them the beginning of February.

• 1 month later...

Well they just installed the 1st window in the old Monaghan Mill yesterday. All the frames are in, so they should just start tearing through installing the windows. That is going to make a huge difference to how it looks. It's going to be great to see how the exterior changes quickly over the next couple of weeks.

IMG_0236.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I have been reading the greenville forums for a long time now and just finally decided to sign-up so I could post. I had just bought down in Monaghan the end of 04 when the mill renovations were just becoming public, the neighborhood is pretty good and I believe will only get better with the mill and the sidewalks. Has any heard of the rails to trails project that will be coming through Monoghan, 14 miles of rail lines converting to trails from TR to downtown? If so, do you know if the line is the same that is directly across from the mill on W. Washington. If so that is going to be a huge upgrade to the area. If not I wonder if it could be attached to the trails, which cannot be more then a 1/4 mile away. Danmire I have an old hard copy in a binder, of the proposed trail which I would be more then happy to let you look at. Just let me know if you would like to see it and I could meet you somewhere by the mill.

Archived