Lofts of Greenville

Danmire

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have a new website set up at www.theloftsofgreenville.com

It's pretty flash looking. I have to say this is going to have a big impact on this whole neighborhood. Looking forward to it opening. :yahoo:

I have the strangest, most unreal story to report! I am listening to a CD, one that I very rarely listen to. The CD is the "drum 'n bass" genre, and a few years old (i.e., a very obscure CD that very few people know about). I click on the above link, and guess what is playing? A song from the very CD I am listening to! Not only that, but the song on the Lofts of Greenville website is the very next song on my CD. I first thought my CD skipped, and once I stopped my CD and heard just the website music, I knew it was just a very strange coincidence. :shok:

FYI, the artist is LTJ Bukem, and the CD is "Journey Inwards." He is a popular DJ in Europe.

This is too freaky...

I am not exactly sure where these are located, but based on comments and a rough glance at a map, the people behind this project are really stepping out on a limb and taking a risk. I really admire that, because it takes people like this to turn blighted areas around. I hope that we can one day look back on this project as the catalyst for redevelopment in this neighborhood. :thumbsup:

I am not exactly sure where these are located, but based on comments and a rough glance at a map, the people behind this project are really stepping out on a limb and taking a risk. I really admire that, because it takes people like this to turn blighted areas around. I hope that we can one day look back on this project as the catalyst for redevelopment in this neighborhood. :thumbsup:

I'd wager there'll be little doubt of that happening. :thumbsup:

I am originally from this part of Greenville and I can tell you it needs TONS of help. Plenty of poverty and crime to go around. My departed grandfather had a house on Norwood St. when I was a child. While in Greenville the other week I rode through my old stomping grounds. To be perfectly honest I was shocked. I am no small man but I would think twice before walking those streets at night. There is a ball field close by and I noticed they have built "goverment" type homes by the park. I do not think this boads well for the future of the Parker/Monaghan area. I am not sure if one loft community will even get close to doing the job. Does anyone know if Greenville is planning on making this area a part of it rennovation plans? Maybe with the right incentives and crime control something could be done. As an investor I see the wisdom in moving in on the "ground floor" but only if that ground is stable. I do not see this here.

I took the tour of this property a few weeks back. I was looking at it as a potential investment and maybe a future residence. I am stretched to my limit on R.E. investments at the moment, so I will wait until the next phase if I end up investing there. However, I do think it has great potential as a home or investment.

The building will be secured, so I don't think personal safety would be much of an issue. It is always something of a risk to buy in an obvoiusly distressed area, but the rewards, monetary and otherwise, often exceed the risk. I am a firm believer that lower-income does not necessarily translate into crime-ridden. Delivering Pizza in college to some pretty rough areas, has made me a lot less wearily of such areas though. That is something others don't necessarily relate to.

The thing about this project that is so appealing is that you can lease a unit for 5 years, and then buy it. The price doesn't rise for 5 years and $250 per month of the rent is applied toward the purchase price. Plus these units are on the top floor. When you close in 5 years, your down payment will already be taken care of, plus the other units will go on the market, most likely for significantly more money. And those units won't be on the top floor.

If some of you just out of college folks want to have a unique place in the city, rather than live in some cookie-cutter tract house, you should look at these seriously.

The biggest down-side to this project in my mind is that it is not in the city limits. The private sector will have to drive the revitialization completely.

I wonder if the developer had to sign an agreement to get water with Parker Sewer district that they wouldn't petition for annexation. I know there has been that mini-war going on between Parker and the City over big projects and the potential of annexation. I know the developer has secured state grants to the tune of $600,000 to redo Smythe st leading up to the Project and also to convert the old parking lot across the street from the Mill into a park.

I wonder if the developer had to sign an agreement to get water with Parker Sewer district that they wouldn't petition for annexation. I know there has been that mini-war going on between Parker and the City over big projects and the potential of annexation. I know the developer has secured state grants to the tune of $600,000 to redo Smythe st leading up to the Project and also to convert the old parking lot across the street from the Mill into a park.

The dificulty in annexing the property would be getting the consent of the property between the current city limts and the Mill property itself. The developers would probably give it serious consideration.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I finally found this place over the weekend. People are definitely living there and more are moving in. It looks great (from the outside). It's not far to drive from there past the old Parker High (and current Greenville High, evidently), the old Woodside Mill (there was a large banner hanging on the fence outside of the Woodside Mill - I didn't make out what it said as I was busy slowing down for the curve, but it looked to be advertising property there??), and on down into West Greenville (not the be mistaken with the West End). West Greenville is another one of those areas that has a enormous amount of potential.

I finally found this place over the weekend. People are definitely living there and more are moving in. It looks great (from the outside). It's not far to drive from there past the old Parker High (and current Greenville High, evidently), the old Woodside Mill (there was a large banner hanging on the fence outside of the Woodside Mill - I didn't make out what it said as I was busy slowing down for the curve, but it looked to be advertising property there??), and on down into West Greenville (not the be mistaken with the West End). West Greenville is another one of those areas that has a enormous amount of potential.

What about the rather large parking lot across the street from the mill? Isn't that part of the same property? I wonder if there are any plans to bust up the tarmac and replace it with grass and perhaps turn it into somewhat of a park-like area? That'd fit in there very well, I think.

• 5 months later...

Archived