Northwest Arkansas on Google Earth/Street View

Great news, Google has updated it's map on Google Earth. Now more than just Fayetteville can be seen under fine detail. Now all of Washington and Benton Counties can be seen in great detail and it seems pretty up to date from what I can tell so far. This could be pretty useful for those wanting a better look at all the northwest Arkansas developments that are mentioned. I can post a link to Google Earth if wanted.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay it's not real up to date as I thought. I looked south of the NWA Mall and the only restaurant I see is the Olive Garden. You can tell they are beginning to work on some of the other restaurants in that area though. If I had to guess I'd say it's around a year old. Maybe more, maybe less. But just the fact you can see more in northwest Arkansas other than Fayetteville under very close detail is really great. Google Earth was pretty useful for me when I was trying to check out places around Little Rock when I was in the area taking pics.

Something new for me to play with for a while. Checking out the rest of northwest Arkansas on Goggle earth. :D Seriously though Matt you should check it out too. I can better explain developments and areas here in Fayetteville and I can now also better understand what's going on in Benton County now. Even if the map is a year or so old. You can see some of the dirt ready for development around the Embassy Suites and the JB Hunt Building in Rogers. I can also see Coose Hollow now, around the area Grandview Heights will be built on Beaver Lake now too.

I actually set it up and it's pretty cool, I have to say.

It's a little difficult to navigate the site, but I'll get it. I can see a lot of red dirt as well along the interstate.

What reddish orange dirt, in Benton County? It has to be a mistake. :lol: Glad you're finding it interesting. I admit I'm big on maps in the first place. But as I said before it's actually come in handy already for me. I'm hoping to use it more when I hear about projects mentioned in Benton County now. So I can try to pinpoint where things are. So I might start wanting more streets mentioned when talking about certain developments. Also feel free to ask about any particular locations or streets for developments I've mentioned in Fayetteville. Not sure how familiar you are with Fayetteville, but seeing it up close on Google Earth could be useful.

• 9 months later...

Apparently Google Earth is interested in some software that was done here at the U of A. I came across this site just recently when Matt posted a pic I hadn't seen before in his master projects topic. I think they originally came up with this to show what impact a proposed project would have here in Fayetteville. Since there's so much talk of buildings blovking views of Old Main and building height restrictions and so on. But Google Earth wants to try to incorporate their 3D elements into the maps. Here's a link to their website talking a little about the software and such.

http://www.cast.uark.edu/local/cadis_crate_06/project.html

• 4 months later...

We've been talking about this on the Fayetteville topic but thought I'd put it over here as well. There's a new version of Google Earth where you can see parts of Fayetteville in 3D. I hardly had any 3D buildings when I first started but I saw a little blue button between Dickson and Lafayette. I clicked on it and ended up at a site where I could download sections and buildings. They've focused mainly around Dickson but have gone over to College Ave and looks like they might be heading down to the Square. Looks like some of the buildings they're still working on. The cool thing is I'm assuming we'll be able to download more building in the future as the CAST group at the U of A get more done. Here's a few pics I took.

googleearthfay01uu6.jpg

googleearthfay02vn0.jpg

googleearthfay03bt1.jpg

googleearthfay04sf6.jpg

googleearthfay05vx9.jpg

NWA has the most updated imagery because the counties paid for it not too long ago. With the big boom they decided they wanted very detailed satellite images for future growth and such. They shared that data with Google Earth. If any other area of the state paid for something like that it would probably be included as well. But until then they'll just have to use the old data. We also have the 3D buildings because of CAST up at the U of A. Google Earth took an interest in them a while back.

In case anyone is interested, the NWA 2006 aerials have been released for public consumption on Geostor here. Click on Applications, then scroll down a little to 2006 ADOP viewer-->launch application, then launch statewide map viewer, then just zoom in to NWA.

I think that just to compare the 2006 aerials to the 2004 aerials alone is interesting. The growth that has occurred is impressive in 2 years alone.

In case anyone is interested, the NWA 2006 aerials have been released for public consumption on Geostor here. Click on Applications, then scroll down a little to 2006 ADOP viewer-->launch application, then launch statewide map viewer, then just zoom in to NWA.

I think that just to compare the 2006 aerials to the 2004 aerials alone is interesting. The growth that has occurred is impressive in 2 years alone.

• 6 months later...

I've noticed one building now in 3D over in the Mill District. Perhaps this will be the next section they'll work on making 3D. On another note, Google Earth has a new edition that has an astronomical aspect to it. It uses the inside of the earth to project stars and galaxies and such.

I've noticed one building now in 3D over in the Mill District. Perhaps this will be the next section they'll work on making 3D. On another note, Google Earth has a new edition that has an astronomical aspect to it. It uses the inside of the earth to project stars and galaxies and such.

• 4 months later...

I've noticed they've been adding a number of 3D houses north of Dickson. In particular around Locust and St Charles. The bad thing about all of the 3D models is now seeing developments that won't ever happen like the Divinity Hotel. Or others like The Dickson that might not ever happen either.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Of possible interest on the NWA forum, Google just released "Street View" for greater Little Rock/central Arkansas. Just go online to Google Maps, click on the "Street View" tab (where you can pan out and see what cities its available for), then have fun...its extremely addictive.

Here is the link for the discussion and interesting "view" links from the Little Rock Forum:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/Google-S...-Ro-t45669.html

Of possible interest on the NWA forum, Google just released "Street View" for greater Little Rock/central Arkansas. Just go online to Google Maps, click on the "Street View" tab (where you can pan out and see what cities its available for), then have fun...its extremely addictive.

Here is the link for the discussion and interesting "view" links from the Little Rock Forum:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/Google-S...-Ro-t45669.html

• 9 months later...

There were rumors last year about Google street view possibly doing NWA. I talked to someone today who gave me the impression NWA now has street view. But when I looked around I didn't see it. I'm still seeing only central Arkansas having it. Anybody else seen or heard anything?

Archived