Auburn/Opelika developments

ATLman1

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TigerTown Expanding

Columbus's WRBL News

Once Phase IV of TigerTown is complete, the open-air shopping center will stretch a million square feet and is expected to generate approximately $7.7 million in revenue for Opelika.

Members of the Opelika City Council approved a Memorandum of Understanding between the city and TigerTown Ltd. on Tuesday during its regular meeting. In 2002, the developer committed to develop 500,000 square feet of center space; by year's end, TigerTown will consist of approximately 700,000-square-feet of developed space.

Now in Phase IV, "The developer commits to develop, or cause to be developed, at least 100,000-square-feet of additional retail space, plus at least one hotel, and restaurants and other outparcel space containing at least 10,000-square-feet by November 17, 2008," the memorandum says.

Phil Martin, spokesperson for TigerTown developer Newton Oldacre McDonald, said that Phase IV of TigerTown would consist of Dick's Sporting Goods; a signature department store; a retailer of bedrooms, linens and baths; and 15 to 17 outparcels including two major hotels, Fairfield Inn by Marriott and Courtyard by Marriott. A number of restaurants, small retail, financial services and other establishments would round out TigerTown, and Phase IV will create 600 new jobs, Martin said.

Dick's Sporting Goods is expected to break ground in TigerTown sometime before Christmas. The 45,000-square-foot store at the intersection of Interstate 85 and U.S. 280 will house all manner of sporting goods across 11 specialized sporting departments. Shane's Rib Shack will be built near TigerTown's freestanding Starbucks, and a Zaxby's restaurant will become next-door neighbors with Logan's Roadhouse.

I went to Tiger Town about 3 weeks ago and from my sight, it almost looks like everything has been built and opened already. I even saw the newly opened Kroger while eating at The Olive Garden. Sometimes when I come to Tiger Town from Roanoke with friends, I forget where everything is when I tell my friends. Do you have a full map of Tiger Town where it covers phases 1-3 and the current phase 4?

I went to Tiger Town about 3 weeks ago and from my sight, it almost looks like everything has been built and opened already. I even saw the newly opened Kroger while eating at The Olive Garden. Sometimes when I come to Tiger Town from Roanoke with friends, I forget where everything is when I tell my friends. Do you have a full map of Tiger Town where it covers phases 1-3 and the current phase 4?

I can't find a map or site plan anywhere! Do you know who the developer is?

Since Auburn/Opelika is right across the river from Columbus, I will post some of the new development going on in the area.

Opelika-Auburn News broke ground Wednesday on a new 40,000-square-foot production and office facility that will give the newspaper a state-of-the-art new home. The new facility will consist of two buildings joined by an open mall area. Each building will be about 20,000 square feet. The new $14 million dollar building will be open by October 2006.

Thanks ALTman1. That's big news about the O-A News, especially at a time when many newspapers are struggling. WRBL (3/4) in Columbus and O-A News have a partnership agreement which is nice, it helps us keep up with what's going on across the entire market.

It's entirely appropriate to include Auburn-Opelika in with Columbus since they're in the same CSA. I've seen the acronym 'COAL' used recently, for Columbus-Opelika-Auburn-Lagrange, to talke about the entire market. Kind of an unfortunate acronym with all of the bad press coal energy is getting. Oh well.

Thanks ALTman1. That's big news about the O-A News, especially at a time when many newspapers are struggling. WRBL (3/4) in Columbus and O-A News have a partnership agreement which is nice, it helps us keep up with what's going on across the entire market.

It's entirely appropriate to include Auburn-Opelika in with Columbus since they're in the same CSA. I've seen the acronym 'COAL' used recently, for Columbus-Opelika-Auburn-Lagrange, to talke about the entire market. Kind of an unfortunate acronym with all of the bad press coal energy is getting. Oh well.

How about COLA instead? Emphasis on connections that region has with Coke (Woodruff/Pemberton/Bradley) and RC Cola/Nehi (Hatcher).

I REALLY like the developing triad theme between Columbus. Auburn/Opelika and La Grange. At the risk of being accused of copying NC with its Research Triangle, it gives the area a real happening, synergistic vibe.

How about COLA instead? Emphasis on connections that region has with Coke (Woodruff/Pemberton/Bradley) and RC Cola/Nehi (Hatcher).

I REALLY like the developing triad theme between Columbus. Auburn/Opelika and La Grange. At the risk of being accused of copying NC with its Research Triangle, it gives the area a real happening, synergistic vibe.

Yea, that's pretty good. Opelika and Auburn probably wouldn't mind being split up like that. Isn't it funny how the 'triangle' develops after Troup gets Kia. Kind of like finding a long lost wealthy relative. Now if we could even get one of those new Interstates... oh well, visions of sugar plums.

Here's a link to the site plan, which I found on the developer's website, nomllc.com:

http://www.nomllc.com/projects/tigertown/T...7_for%20web.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mando America Bringing New Jobs, New Dollars to Opelika

An existing company is expanding and bringing more jobs and more dollars to Opelika.

Mando America Corporation is expanding it Opelika operations again. The latest development came Tuesday as company officials and city leaders announced the creation of 77 new jobs and an additional $21 million in investment.

This is the company's third expansion since opening its doors in Opelika in the spring of 2003. At that time, the company planned to hire about 150 workers, but the latest expansion brings the total to more than 500 over the next three years. It's a move that seems to have exceeded everyone's expectations.

According to information from the city, the latest expansion is the result of additional orders and an increased customer base, which have prompted the company to expand production with new lines and products.

There's no word yet on a specific date for the hiring of the additional jobs, but Rolison said they will be looking for skilled workers for their highly automated assembly lines.

Mando's Opelika operations produce brake corner modules, suspension modules and steering systems for various automotive manufacturers, including the Hyundai plant in Montgomery.

• 1 month later...

It's been quite some time since i've known about the recent phase of TigerTown months ago: Does anyone know what's going on there?

I know about the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites and the Courtyard/Fairfield Inn by Marriott hotels, and that's it.

I believe the motel that you think is a Holiday Inn Express is actually a Hampton Inn & Suites. They put the sign on the front of the building, recently. That is the one that is across the interstate from Tigertown. The Courtyard and Fairfield spot is still sitting untouched. There's a few new piles of dirt there, but that's about it. I don't know if you know about Dick's Sporting Goods opening, but it opened about a month ago. A bunch of small stuff opened in the part next to Kroger (Sally Beauty Supply, Citi Financial, a hair salon, MK's Asian Kitchen, a mattress store, and Foot Solutions). There is supposed to be some rib restaurant close to the Starbucks, but I haven't seen any progress in that area. I work in Tigertown, by the way, so I can answer most questions you may have.

I believe the motel that you think is a Holiday Inn Express is actually a Hampton Inn & Suites. They put the sign on the front of the building, recently. That is the one that is across the interstate from Tigertown. The Courtyard and Fairfield spot is still sitting untouched. There's a few new piles of dirt there, but that's about it. I don't know if you know about Dick's Sporting Goods opening, but it opened about a month ago. A bunch of small stuff opened in the part next to Kroger (Sally Beauty Supply, Citi Financial, a hair salon, MK's Asian Kitchen, a mattress store, and Foot Solutions). There is supposed to be some rib restaurant close to the Starbucks, but I haven't seen any progress in that area. I work in Tigertown, by the way, so I can answer most questions you may have.

Welcome to the forum Shiftyallstar!

I know about Dick's opening a month ago from a friends who go to Auburn. Now the "rib" restaurant close to starbucks-i don't know about that, but it could be either a Lone Star Steakhouse & Saloon or some other chain i haven't heard of except Char-Broil Steakhouse from Phenix City & Columbus-that's just my prediction... I also need to know about what's going on at The Shopps @ Capps Farm past I-85. thanks for telling me about the rest of T-town. I'll be looking forward to come shopping there again soon.

Thanks for the welcome! According to an old issue of the O-A News, the restaurant is called Shane's Rib Shack. It's a franchise with locations all over the south. I've never eaten at one, though. I don't know how far down the pipeline that is, though, because there has been no new work done anywhere on Interstate Dr. (the road that goes in front of Starbucks, perpendicular to 280).

As far as the Shoppes at Capps Farm goes, absolutely nothing has happened there, yet. There's a big sign on the property announcing a Kohl's in Fall 2008. However, since no site work has even begun, I would be amazed if they made that timeline. That property is relatively hilly, and if they do like every other development in this area and flatten it, that will take some time.

On a related note, on Exit 51 (S. College St./U.S. 29) in Auburn, they are doing site work on another proposed "lifestyle center". I don't know what stores they plan to put there, since there's already a lot between Tigertown, the mall, and the new Sam's Club development. I guess we'll see. I never would have guessed that the Auburn/Opelika area would look like this when I left in 2000. So seven years from now, I will probably be amazed at how different it is from 2007! :)

Thanks for the welcome! According to an old issue of the O-A News, the restaurant is called Shane's Rib Shack. It's a franchise with locations all over the south. I've never eaten at one, though. I don't know how far down the pipeline that is, though, because there has been no new work done anywhere on Interstate Dr. (the road that goes in front of Starbucks, perpendicular to 280).

As far as the Shoppes at Capps Farm goes, absolutely nothing has happened there, yet. There's a big sign on the property announcing a Kohl's in Fall 2008. However, since no site work has even begun, I would be amazed if they made that timeline. That property is relatively hilly, and if they do like every other development in this area and flatten it, that will take some time.

On a related note, on Exit 51 (S. College St./U.S. 29) in Auburn, they are doing site work on another proposed "lifestyle center". I don't know what stores they plan to put there, since there's already a lot between Tigertown, the mall, and the new Sam's Club development. I guess we'll see. I never would have guessed that the Auburn/Opelika area would look like this when I left in 2000. So seven years from now, I will probably be amazed at how different it is from 2007! :)

I heard about the development at Exit 51. West Paces Shopping Center is the "lifestyle center." An auto mall is supposed to be built there, too. Living in Roanoke, everybody has to travel about 40 or 50 miles to the malls and the only place to shop in my hometown is the Wal-Mart Supercenter that doesn't even open for 24 hrs. With gas prices rising again, it's a big pain for us, especially for us teens in this "sleepy" small city I'm just as amazed as you are about Auburn-Opelika because it's growing just like around Hoover and North of B'ham.

keep me updated on T-town

• 2 weeks later...

I guess the rumor mill didn't get it quite right re: Cabela's - wishful thinking... Another bigger announcement though, in my opinion -Celebrate Alabama - WRBL reported a 535-acre development, will include a variety of stores and restaurants as well as a hotel with an indoor water park and other attractions.

This sounds amazing!!!! This is from WTVM.

Major Retail, Entertainment Development Coming To Opelika

A massive retail resort and entertainment complex is coming to Opelika. The City of Opelika and Silver Companies from Virginia have announced plans to build Celebrate Alabama. The development will stretch more than two miles along Interstate 85, bringing at least 5,000 jobs and a $1 billion capital investment.

Celebrate Alabama is more than an idea. It's the name and basis for a 535-acre site in Opelika.

"The history of this state is enormous, and that's what this is built on. It's built on the food, the entertainment, the music, the history, the culture of the state," said Larry Silver, CEO of Silver Companies.

Celebrate Alabama will stretch from Exit 64 to Exit 66, complete with a six-lane boulevard running next to the interstate. There will be plenty of shopping, hotels, an expo center and life-size statues of famous Alabamians everywhere you look.

"We expect to have a great outlet mall, and we expect to have a number of different hotel flags. But as a very important feature, we'll have a large indoor water park hotel," Silver said.

Silver Companies will also prepare the entire site at once instead of in sections.

"We will mass-grade the site. We have almost three-million cubic yards of dirt to move. That's tremendous. We have a lot of water and sewer. The infrastructure is put in up-front," said Silver.

As for choosing Opelika, Silver Companies develops these sites away from large metro areas.

"The last thing you want to do after five days of dealing with the traffic is on the weekend, for fun, is go back into that traffic," Silver said.

Opelika's location between Montgomery, Atlanta and Columbus made it an easy choice. Mayor Gary Fuller said Celebrate Alabama will impact everyone.

"We believe it's going to be a tremendous benefit for downtown Opelika. It's going to be good for Tiger Town, and it's going to be good for Auburn. It's going to be good for all of us," said Fuller.

Celebrate Alabama will be similar to Celebrate Virginia in Fredericksburg. That development generates more than $1 billion in sales tax revenue annually.

Silver Companies should break ground on Celebrate Alabama in the first half of next year. The first store should then open within 24 months.

There was a nice write-up in the O-A News yesterday about "Celebrate Alabama". I used to live in Richmond, VA, and I've been to the one mentioned in Fredericksburg. I never really knew it was one cohesive development known as "Celebrate Virginia". I just thought Central Park (in Fredericksburg) was just another shopping area, comperable to Tigertown, but bigger...And all of the hotels and other stuff were seperate entities. Nonetheless, that is a highly developed area almost equidistant between Richmond and D.C. I guess "Celebrate Alabama" is intended to have a similar radius of attraction (50+ miles).

On a related note, that announcement may have spelled doom for the Shoppes at Capps Farm. The very next day after I saw the piece on the news (Wednesday), I was driving by the sign that announced the arrival of Kohl's at Capps Farm and some workers were painting over the Kohl's logo! I am only making assumptions, but I would think that Capps Farm would not be as attractive now, if there is about to be a humongous development being built 6 miles down the road. Maybe Kohl's backed out of the Capps Farm deal to wait on Celebrate Alabama. I wonder, also, if this will change the plans for the Courtyard and Fairfield at Tigertown, since they haven't started construction yet. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

There was a nice write-up in the O-A News yesterday about "Celebrate Alabama". I used to live in Richmond, VA, and I've been to the one mentioned in Fredericksburg. I never really knew it was one cohesive development known as "Celebrate Virginia". I just thought Central Park (in Fredericksburg) was just another shopping area, comperable to Tigertown, but bigger...And all of the hotels and other stuff were seperate entities. Nonetheless, that is a highly developed area almost equidistant between Richmond and D.C. I guess "Celebrate Alabama" is intended to have a similar radius of attraction (50+ miles).

On a related note, that announcement may have spelled doom for the Shoppes at Capps Farm. The very next day after I saw the piece on the news (Wednesday), I was driving by the sign that announced the arrival of Kohl's at Capps Farm and some workers were painting over the Kohl's logo! I am only making assumptions, but I would think that Capps Farm would not be as attractive now, if there is about to be a humongous development being built 6 miles down the road. Maybe Kohl's backed out of the Capps Farm deal to wait on Celebrate Alabama. I wonder, also, if this will change the plans for the Courtyard and Fairfield at Tigertown, since they haven't started construction yet. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I hope that is not the case, I was looking forward to the Shoppes at Capps Farm. Keep us updated shiftyallstar.

There has been a lot of sign action going on around Capps Farm, lately. :) Yesterday, I saw a new sign in the development that already has the new Hampton Inn and Suites announcing a Country Inn and Suites. That's good news for that development (I don't know if it has a name), because I think it was relying mostly on the success of Capps Farm.

Well, now I'm headed into town (Auburn) for some tailgating! I'll let y'all know if I see anything new there. :) Maybe I'll take some pictures. War Eagle!

• 2 weeks later...

Celebrate Alabama

Developer planning major complex that will include convention center, hotels, restaurants, shopping and a tribute to famous Alabamians in Opelika, Ala.

Columbus Ledger-Enquirer

560-1203-alacropped.embedded.prod_affiliate.70.jpg

It looks to be a little bit Branson, Mo., mixed with entertainment, shopping and dining, plus a healthy dose of culture and heritage.

As it materializes on 535 acres off Interstate 85 on the northeast outskirts of Opelika, Ala., a development that is being called "Celebrate Alabama" aims to draw tourists from across the Southeast.

It will, essentially, be a salute to everything Southern with an emphasis on Alabama, said Marvin Bollinger, chief operating officer of the Silver Companies, a development firm planning the project.

"We want you to come there and we want you to taste, smell, feel," Bollinger said Wednesday via phone interview from his office in Boca Raton, Fla. "We want all of the senses satisfied with Southern cuisine, Southern culture, Southern heritage, the very fiber that makes the South special."

Silver Companies is headquartered in Boca Raton and Fredericksburg, Va., near Washington, D.C.

The company also has a development called "Celebrate Virginia" in Fredericksburg, a 2,400-acre complex of hotels, restaurants, retail shopping and convention center and exposition space.

That project started in May 1995 and continues to expand. It already comprises 3 million square feet of structures with 60 restaurants.

Celebrate Alabama will not be as large initially, Bollinger said, but it's impact will still ripple throughout the east Alabama and west Georgia region.

Tens of thousands of people are expected to visit the attraction each year. The company estimates the economic impact will reach $40 million by the time Celebrate Alabama is fully developed in 10 to 12 years. Employment is expected to approach 5,000 people.

"It will be on a smaller scale, but Celebrate Alabama will be very impressive," said Al Cook, director of economic development with the City of Opelika. "It's going to be a combination of shopping, entertainment, an expo center with hotels. This development is going to be a destination that will put east Alabama on the map."

Infrastructure

Silver Companies has already purchased 487 acres of the 535 acres needed for project, Bollinger said. The company expects to close in about two weeks on the rest of the land, which fronts the east side of I-85 between Exits 64 and 66. The property is situated across the interstate from the 2,200-acre Northeast Opelika Industrial Park.

Plans call for ground to be broken sometime next spring, with work on infrastructure taking about 18 months to complete. That includes master grading the entire site, putting in water and sewer lines, and building a "spine road" parallel to I-85 between Andrews Road and Alabama Hwy. 29.

"One thing that has really impressed us about the Silver Companies is that they went ahead and closed on the land," Cook said. "They've got some skin in the game. And number two is their philosophy to go ahead and put all of the infrastructure in and get the roads built and not piecemeal this thing. It's 'Let's get it all in and then we'll open up with a big bang.' "

After the infrastructure comes vertical construction. On the drawing boards is a 115,000-square-foot conference and exposition center where trade shows, seminars and corporate meetings can be held. Bollinger expects no fewer than five hotels on the site.

Entertainment will be emphasized, Bollinger said, with theaters likely to be built for plays and musical performances. An indoor water park and hotel combination also is likely, he said, while a recreational vehicle park will be built. Walking trails and lakes are part of the mix.

A unique aspect of the development will be a greenway -- Bollinger calls it a "Stars Boulevard" -- that honors notable Alabama figures with life-size statues. Those being mentioned include Helen Keller, Hank Williams, Nat King Cole, the Tuskegee Airmen, Booker T. Washington, Jesse Owens, Satchel Paige and Bo Jackson. Famed Auburn University coach Shug Jordan and University of Alabama great Bear Bryant also are likely to be there.

"There are so many amazing Alabama heroes, many of whom have quite literally changed the world," Larry Silver, chief executive officer of Silver Companies, said in a statement issued by his company. "Celebrate Alabama will provide a wonderful venue to acknowledge their contributions."

Growth potential

Bollinger said Silver Companies chose the Opelika site because of its proximity between the capital cities of Montgomery in Alabama and Atlanta in Georgia.

The company also has noticed the growth in the area, he said, with the expansion of Fort Benning in Columbus over the next few years and the Kia auto assembly plant being constructed off I-85 in West Point, Ga., just a few minutes away.

Fort Benning looks to gain about 30,000 soldiers and civilians out of the Base Realignment and Closure process. The Kia plant is expected to generate more than 5,000 jobs between the main plant and its band of smaller suppliers. Thousands of other jobs should spin out of that growth as new businesses start up to support the additional work force.

"What we have found that's missing in the middle of this phenomenal growth between two state capitals is an entertainment, leisure, enjoyment component," Bollinger said. "That's what we're trying to address."

The development will be less than 90 minutes from Atlanta, less than two hours from Birmingham and about 45 minutes from Montgomery. Silver Companies is hoping to draw not only from those metro areas, but even farther.

The development "will not survive on local traffic," Bollinger said. "It is a destination. How many buses go from Atlanta to New Orleans? How many tourists go through Atlanta to the beaches. I-85 is a phenomenal interstate corridor."

Alabama's economic development officials are in the process of working out an incentive package with Silver Companies, Cook said. He declined to comment on it until the details are finalized.

"But it will involve normal incentives that we would do with any type of commercial-type deal," he said.

For now it's all about the excitement of landing such a huge project. That was evident in recent comments by Opelika Mayor Gary Fuller.

"This is an extraordinary opportunity for Opelika, and the entire surrounding area," he said in a statement. "We stand to benefit not only financially in terms of tax revenue and employment opportunities, but also in quality of life. This should be a wonderful source of pride for our citizens."

Said Jerry Teal, president of the Opelika City Council: "Celebrate Alabama is one of the most exciting projects with which (the city) has ever been involved. We are honored to be a part of Celebrate Alabama -- and we look forward to sharing our great community with folks from all over the country."

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The pad work has begun on the Fairfield Inn on the corner of Interstate Drive and Enterprise Drive, and on the Country Inn and now the Holiday Inn Express across from Capps Farm. So, as of now, the development across from Capps Farm will have a Hampton Inn and Suites, Country Inn and Suites, and Holiday Inn Express. Also, they are finally building the Zaxby's next to Logan's Roadhouse.

It also looks like the Shoppes at Capps Farm is totally dead. The City (of Opelika) complained recently that they had heard nothing from the developer in several months. And Kohl's said they had no plans to build in the Auburn/Opelika area, in the near future. So I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. I'll keep y'all posted.

Archived