The Climate Factor

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HAHAHA! (In an evil pirate tone)

You can all run to the south for you beautiful weather. All the more for me to enjoy in the north!

I'm a winter person, hence the name "Snow Guy"... snow is my 2nd best friend. To be honest, I get excited for summer in about March.. but I absolutely cannot bear the excitement for the first snowfall or my first day out skiing. (I'm a weather lover in general.. and Minnesota has plenty to offer)... but when you hear things like "Lusten receives 24 inches of snow over last 2 days.." I just itch to get out there and schuss down the slopes while powder snow flies up in my face and snotcicles form... and everybody gets that wind blown look as they relax in the hot tub at the end of the day while the moon shines bright on pure whiteness outside.

Ahhh.. winter is so much more romantic. Ugh... I need to stop.

This all reminds me of an argument I used to have with one of my good friends in Atlanta all the time. He'd claim that Atlanta's weather made it unambiguously better than Boston, where I grew up. "How can you even LIVE somewhere where it gets that cold?" "How can you live somewhere where you can't even drive anywhere without A/C, let alone walk outside, for three months out of the year?" It's all relative, but personally I think that even Massachusetts at its most depressing, 4 pm darkness and dirty snowdrifts in February is better than sitting in traffic in 90 degree weather and literally feeling like you're taking a shower in Georgia in July.

This all reminds me of an argument I used to have with one of my good friends in Atlanta all the time. He'd claim that Atlanta's weather made it unambiguously better than Boston, where I grew up. "How can you even LIVE somewhere where it gets that cold?"

There are many people do not like the cold winters of Boston but still choose to live there. That tells me that Boston has attributes that overcome the "Climate Factor".

Beautiful! So facilitiesman, what does this have to do with the original post?

The original topic being "The Climate Factor".

My original post explained my belief that climate is a factor and that the weather is comfortable 9 months a year in the South and about 5 months in the North. I believe that is a factor. That brought the Northerners out in force claiming how it really isn't that cold in the North and it's just peoples incorrect perceptions that it is soo cold. I just posted some current temps to support what I was saying.

If someone loves the cold and snow more power to them. I think the growth rates you see in Southern cities as opposed to Northern cities is evidence of people making their choice. I feel climate is a factor in where people want to live and do business and the population shift to the South shows the preference for warmer weather. JMO...

http://www.wral.com/news/5568805/detail.ht...ss=ral&psp=news

once again...ICE STORMS. Unless we are talking about Florida or southern cali (south coastal areas of our country) I really dont see how much better the winters can be down there compared to the north (with the exception of shoveling snow). Someone in Texas' 95-110 degree summer will think a 50-60 degree winter is cold (currently 48 in houston) Just as someone in Boston with an 80-100 degree summer will be very cold in 30 to 40 degree days during the winter. Now if I live in both miami and chicago... and I moved back to chicago for the Holidays, it would be much colder in comparison and that is a different story.

I just want to ask those southerners in Georgia and N.C. where that ice storm really hit, is the ice warmer down there than up here?

The original topic being "The Climate Factor".

My original post explained my belief that climate is a factor and that the weather is comfortable 9 months a year in the South and about 5 months in the North. I believe that is a factor. That brought the Northerners out in force claiming how it really isn't that cold in the North and it's just peoples incorrect perceptions that it is soo cold. I just posted some current temps to support what I was saying.

If someone loves the cold and snow more power to them. I think the growth rates you see in Southern cities as opposed to Northern cities is evidence of people making their choice. I feel climate is a factor in where people want to live and do business and the population shift to the South shows the preference for warmer weather. JMO...

Northerners came out in force? A Northerner started the topic.

BTW: Can I check in here daily and get the 5 day forecast from you as well? :P

The growth rate in Minneapolis is quite good right now. During the 1990s, the MSP metro area grew by nearly 17%... which is pretty healthy, especially for the coldest large city in the contiguous U.S.

Of course the south is growing by leaps and bounds... but the south and southwest have extreme amounts of immigration and domestic migration of older people.

I just dont think that the south's amazing growth will last that long into the future. The cities of the north are beginning to really push public transport and more sustainable development, whereas in the south (the southwest, mainly) sprawl is the call. Eventually it will catch up to them... and I don't think climate will have anything to do with it.

Archived