Charlotte MLB Team Speculation

ncguy06

the transit center?

The City is actively moving a lot of its services on high dollar land to lower dollar land. Makes more sense to line the cities coffers by selling land to developers. Walton Plaza, CTC, CMPD, Hal Marshall, etc they will all go on the market in the next few years.

Hard to imaging that they would disassociate the Transportation Center from the Rail Line, even with connectors.

well, it would technically still be on a rail line. The gold line. Which might be a better transfer for most bus riders of east/west CLT 

Would closing Brevard from 3rd to Trade be possible and making it a transit only street. With street improvements this street could become a new open air version of CTC and the parcels surrounding it including the current CTC could be redeveloped. This would also retain a reasonable connection with the Blue Line and Gold Line.

Also, I think you could bury the bus terminal. This would also make room for a baseball stadium or other development.

Edited by ajfunder

I posted this elsewhere, but I think slightly north of uptown along the light rail would be a great spot for a future stadium.  I copy/pasted PNC park onto a couple random lots off Parkwood to give you an idea...

RG0ecwi.jpg

Yes, I agree it would be a great spot for a MLB stadium. With talk of MLS coming to Charlotte over the next 5-10 years, my bias is to build a soccer stadium north of downtown as well instead of refurbishing Memorial Stadium.

As a resident of Norfolk/Virginia Beach, I'd much rather drive 6 hours to and follow an uptown Charlotte MLB team if one existed than drive 3 hours to see the Nationals in DC. I don't think I'd do the same to see the Knights play. 

• Like 4

As a resident of Norfolk/Virginia Beach, I'd much rather drive 6 hours to and follow an uptown Charlotte MLB team if one existed than drive 3 hours to see the Nationals in DC. I don't think I'd do the same to see the Knights play. 

That's interesting.  Hopefully one day in the next decade or so, Charlotte will be able to provide you with the opportunity to drive uptown and see an MLB game.  

• Like 1

As a resident of Norfolk/Virginia Beach, I'd much rather drive 6 hours to and follow an uptown Charlotte MLB team if one existed than spend an hour in the tunnel and drive 2 hours to Richmond on 64 and then 2.5 hours on 95 including a long extended look at "Central Park" in Fredericksburg to see the Nationals in DC. I don't think I'd do the same to see the Knights play. 

fixed :P

As a resident of here, I more regularly drive to Atlanta and Washington to see an MLB game than I drive to Uptown to watch the Knights play. I doubt I'm alone.

I know this is different, but I've been to far more Coney Island Cyclone games than Mets & Yankees combined. I Like the atmosphere of Minor League so much better.

Edited by Guest

I once traveled to Portland Maine just (mostly) for a minor league game. I also regularly (2x per year)  go to Greenville to see the Drive play becuase I really like their ballpark. Baseball (for me) is mostly about drinking beer outside, MLB can distract from the beer.

I might actually go to Atlanta to see the Braves once before they move to Cobb -- but I am only making the trip because I will never travel to see them in a suburban ballpark. That will be my first Braves game in almost 20 years (and five of those I lived in Georgia).

I am certainly not a useful data point blah blah blah.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

I once traveled to Portland Maine just (mostly) for a minor league game. I also regularly (2x per year)  go to Greenville to see the Drive play becuase I really like their ballpark. Baseball (for me) is mostly about drinking beer outside, MLB can distract from the beer.

I might actually go to Atlanta to see the Braves once before they move to Cobb -- but I am only making the trip because I will never travel to see them in a suburban ballpark. That will be my first Braves game in almost 20 years (and five of those I lived in Georgia).

I am certainly not a useful data point blah blah blah.

I have never been to a game at the "new" ballpark, Turner Field.  I am going to go this weekend because I figured I better soon.

I even considered divorcing my fandom because of the stupidass decision to move out to the mixing bowl of Atlanta.  I guess thats why I post here, lol.  

• Like 2

I have never been to a game at the "new" ballpark, Turner Field.  I am going to go this weekend because I figured I better soon.

I even considered divorcing my fandom because of the stupidass decision to move out to the mixing bowl of Atlanta.  I guess thats why I post here, lol.  

Hey kickazzz2000 -- do you think Rock Hill could support an Indy baseball team? Something like the Atlantic League with a ballpark in downtown Rock Hill? http://www.atlanticleague.com/

• 4 weeks later...

Just to throw fuel onto the MLB fire, Nielsen released its TV market ratings, and Charlotte passed both Portland and Pittsburgh to become the 22nd largest TV market in the US.  If Charlotte were an MLB city today, it would have the 20th largest TV market of the 26 MLB markets, ahead of San Diego, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Milwaukee, and Cincinnati and not too far behind St Louis.  With our continued growth, I have no doubt we will take over several more spots on the list, and may crack the top twenty in the next 10-15 years.

All we need now is a baseball version of Jim McPhillamy to drum up support for MLB in the same way McPhillamy is drumming up support for MLS, and we will be primed to be one of the next MLB cities.

Here is the Nielsen list:

http://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/corporate/us/en/docs/solutions/measurement/television/2015-2016-dma-ranks.pdf

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

^^^There are many things I want for Charlotte, but there are three things that I want more for the city than anything else...I want us to have a world-class transit system like Portland or SLC, I want UNCC to become a top-tier research university complete with med school and first rate engineering/sciences and business programs, and I want the city to get an MLB team. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

SI has an article on MLB expansion (the league is ready) and Charlotte is high on their list (after Mexico City, Montreal and Vancouver). They do mention poor attendance at Hornets / Bobcats / Hornets games as a concern.  Not much analysis in the article, mostly just speculation. The article did make me think that if MLB moves quickly on Charlotte our MLS expansion plans become much more difficult.

http://www.si.com/mlb/2016/04/22/mlb-expansion-montreal-mexico-city-charlotte-portland

Even after watching the knights loose by 16 runs on Tuesday night I am quite contemt with AAA ball downtown.

8 minutes ago, DMann said:

Look at the poor attendance in Cleveland and project that here.  MLB is probably priced at least 2x minor league pricing, and probably more.  Empty stadiums are not fun.

I mean check out the Yankees game I went to yesterday. It was maybe 35-40% full by 4th inning. This is the Yankees. 

image.jpeg