ncguy06

Charlotte MLB Team Speculation

2 hours ago, kermit said:

This probably isn't directly relevant to Charlotte (particularly since we do not have a stadium) but the Angels have opted out of their Anaheim lease and are having a tough time finding willing taxpayer funds for a new ballpark in the LA area: http://www.latimes.com/sports/mlb/la-sp-angels-anaheim-lease-20181016-story.html

Come on over to Charlotte.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kermit said:

This probably isn't directly relevant to Charlotte (particularly since we do not have a stadium) but the Angels have opted out of their Anaheim lease and are having a tough time finding willing taxpayer funds for a new ballpark in the LA area: http://www.latimes.com/sports/mlb/la-sp-angels-anaheim-lease-20181016-story.html

Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara (49'ers) Dodger Stadium and AT&T Park for San Francisco Giants were all built without taxpayer money. Other assistance such as infrastructure, bond holding entity, cost overrun insurance and other items made the construction possible but the stadia themselves are privately owned. Such is California.

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately, location of teams in baseball is much more important than football because local tv money goes directly to the team.  So even being the second team in LA and actually playing in OC, there is no chance they ever leave.  Though there is also zero chance LA builds them a stadium, I could see them moving there simply for the increase in franchise value.  The Chargers and Rams both are paying huge relocation fees for the market and the impact on a baseball franchise is greater (the Angels could move for free).  That's why the Angels use the ridiculous LA Angels of Anaheim now (they wanted the LA name but were contractually obligated to keep Anaheim in the name).  I'm betting they build a new stadium anchored by a mixed use development (like the Braves) somewhere nicer in OC and drop Anaheim from the name.

There are possible relocation candidates but this isn't one of them.

I laugh at folks who don't consider Charlotte is within an hours drive of millions more people.  Come on folks get educated.

Problem is, nobody wants to drive more than even one hour to get to a baseball game on a weekday.  Panthers fans load up their trucks and RVs and make a whole day out of tailgating and the game.  Baseball relies on a clientele that can and will walk to the stadium from work.  Not saying Charlotte doesn't have that, but its a much different type of gameday.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CTiger said:

Problem is, nobody wants to drive more than even one hour to get to a baseball game on a weekday.  Panthers fans load up their trucks and RVs and make a whole day out of tailgating and the game.  Baseball relies on a clientele that can and will walk to the stadium from work.  Not saying Charlotte doesn't have that, but its a much different type of gameday.

True, but I always here about market size and form my past reading Charlotte is middle of the road but can get more market share if the team is good (more affiliates).   I ma positive that out of 12 million people any Charlotte based team can get a fair sized viewership.  My point is that the cities market size does not match its potential when it comes too tv's.  As for game day, I don't know many teams that do well attendance wise unless they are a legacy team or within mega-metro (6 million or more).

• Like 1