Charlotte MLB Team Speculation

ncguy06

Maybe I could be wrong on metro population but I think Jacksonville would do better for baseball than Charlotte.

Uh no. Florida should never be allowed to have another baseball team. The way the fans are treating the Marlins is just terrible. The only time the Marlins fans(or should I say, bandwagon fans) pack the house is during the playoffs. During the regular season you can drop a pin in that place and hear it fall. The Marlins have a great organization, just no fan support at all.

I'm not calling all Marlins fans bandwagon fans, the real Marlins fans Know who I am talking about.

• 2 weeks later...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2233531

Looks like the Marlins are trying to get out of Miami with no baseball-only park for them to play in. Even though I do not think Charlotte is quite ready yet for another major sports team yet, could we make a move for the team? The Marlins said they could leave as soon as 2008, it would be awesome if we could get them, but thats just me dreaming being a huge MLB fan.

Edited by cltguy99

Forget the Knights....who wants the Marlins?

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/spo...ll/13241457.htm

Not me.....let them go to Portland....Charlotte's not ready.

I would love to have them, but I think we are still another 7-10 years away in terms of population to support the Trinity of the Major's (Baseball, Basketball and Football)

I think in ten years we will have the population and market to embrace another franchise. Denver is smaller in its city population that Charlotte and their MSA is not much larger than our CSA and they support the big three.

DENVER'S POPULATION

Denver has more than doubled in population since 1960. The City & County of Denver had a population of 554,636 in 2000, making it larger than the entire population of Wyoming (which has 480,000 people). The six-county metro area has a population of 2.4 million. Colorado's population grew 30.5% from 1990 to 2000 with a current total of 4,301,261 residents.

source:

http://www.denver.org/StaticPage.aspx?pn=facts

***Just for kicks the CSA of CLT is around 2.2-2.3M if added the Triad's CSA which is an hour up the road, we would have the almost the SAME population as the entire state of Colorodo. That would be just shy of supproting all three IMO.***

I know that many would say that people would not support a MLB in Charlotte in W-S, but IMO that is NOT true.

One Prime expample is the Atlanta Braves. They have a fan base from all over the South and many drive two, threee, even over 4 hours to see their beloved team.

Edited by A2

Portland's more "ready"?

I think that atlrvr was suggesting that they might be able to handle two major sports teams versus us handling three. Once you get three you really need to have the pop to make it work. We are almost there, but not quite.

Portland could possibly support another team since their metro is the same in size as Charlotte (they are almost identicle).

A2

Edited by A2

Overall, I would tend to agree with you about supporting three teams. Except one thing...baseball doesn't really overlap with the scheduling of Charlotte's other majors and I would argue that baseball attracts a different fan base.

That being said, I imagine that Las Vegas is the real contender here.

:lol:

Maine, of course! :blush:

I would also tend to agree that Vegas would be the contender here.

The only thing about Vegas is that it is known for one thing , and we all know what that is. IMO, Vegas could support a team finaicially, but it just seems wrong. I don't know what I mean by that, except that I do not think of Vegas as your typical city. I know a lot of people are moving there, and they will continue to. But think about rooting for let's say a pro team called the Vegas Vipers (or something to that effect). It just seems "off" . ;)

It is Vegas, not a meca for sports fans. (do not get that confused with sports gambling though. They are king in that dept. :D )

A2

I think Las Vegas maybe the real contender, but I think baseball is the wrong sport for Vegas.....too much summer heat....I know they'd dome it but still....plus there are a lot of seats to fill there with an area that has a pretty low median income.

Basketball seems like the better fit there.

Yeah Vegas is too hot, much like the complaints of Miami having baseball because it is just too hot to watch a long baseball game outdoors, and playing baseball in a dome is just ridiculous IMO. Vegas does seem "off" for a sports team, especially baseball, they should just keep going after basketball I mean they are hosting the NBA all-star game next season.

Hmm. When I lived in S. Florida, I always thought that it didn't as hot there in the summer as we do here in Charlotte. Humidity is bad in both places.

Usually coastal cities are fortunate since they get a seabreeze which can easily drop the temperture 5-7 degres from inland areas. Even Miami can get these occasional breezes to help give them a break from the heat.

When I watch the weather in the summer I often notice that Charleston and MB will be three to seven degrees cooler in the day than say Charlotte.

A2

Edited by A2

It would be fairly cool if Charlotte could put things in order to get another team, but I agree that we aren't quite ready. We need to stabilize our basketball team, and get our football to win the Superbowl, before we go throwing money at an MLB team that might cannibalize the money spent on the others.

I also think the game of threatening to leave to get a new stadium is very sleazy. I think Charlotte should just wait until there are different circumstances like an expansion or a team moving from a smaller market.

It is sad that $173m in public funding sounds cheap. :)

I think the Marlins are just upping the threat of moving and would like to stay in South Florida. What team would want to move from an area of around 5 million people to an area of 2.5 million?

Portland would be my first guess if they moved. It's a big city and has been big for a while and does not have either of the big sports, baseball or football. Charlotte already has a couple teams and probably couldn't support baseball just yet. Baseball takes a lot of fans, 81 home games a year.

I don't see baseball in Vegas. It's like the Florida cities. There's too many other things to do and the competition for the entertainment dollar would be too much. The many entertainment options takes away a lot of fans. I could see basketball in Vegas now.

When all is said and done I think the Marlins will have a deal for a new stadium in South Florida.

Agreed. The local news (channel 36) did a story on this on their 6pm news. Basically they said that CLT does not have the political will to spend money to build a new stadium considering the big amount they just paid for brand new NBA arena. They also said that MLB wants at least 25k people/game and right now, CLT can't even get sellouts for the NBA, <19K. It was their conclusion, that it probably would not happen.

They also mentioned the 1998 bid to bring the Minnesota Twins to CLT.

Edited by metro.m

• 2 weeks later...