Charlotte MLB Team Speculation

ncguy06

45 minutes ago, jednc said:

We're about 10 years away from being able to support an MLB Team. :whistling:

Ha!  I was going to argue and then I saw who posted this.  For the record, that used to be my response (until Jed and others enlightened me).  It's clear that we have the population to support a team now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JBS said:

Ha!  I was going to argue and then I saw who posted this.  For the record, that used to be my response (until Jed and others enlightened me).  It's clear that we have the population to support a team now.

Yes, I was being totally sarcastic. I was hoping no one would think I was serious as I have thought we have been ready for years.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, J-Rob said:

How about Aviators instead of Pilots.  I like the ring of Carolina Aviators. 

I think I agree with you there.

16 hours ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

Some of those had me quietly but violently laughing hard enough I almost woke my son up on my chest. 

I wasted too much time trying to get the list in columns and I didn't have time to add any commentary (my original intent). Some of them would be pretty funny to imagine in reality with merchandise tie-ins, slogans, etc.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kickazzz2000 said:

Charlotte or nothing. 

I always prefer "Charlotte" but it seems like a terrible business move to not use "Carolina".  The Panthers are very popular throughout the two states and no one outside of Raleigh and Charlotte cares about the 'Canes and Hornets (for other reasons also, but still).  That 2 states 1 team approach has been a good one, I think.  If they put a MLB team in Raleigh and call it Carolina I will care and follow.  If they call it Raleigh, I probably won't.  It's silly but fandom is the silliest thing I know.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JBS said:

I always prefer "Charlotte" but it seems like a terrible business move to not use "Carolina".  The Panthers are very popular throughout the two states and no one outside of Raleigh and Charlotte cares about the 'Canes and Hornets (for other reasons also, but still).  That 2 states 1 team approach has been a good one, I think.  If they put a MLB team in Raleigh and call it Carolina I will care and follow.  If they call it Raleigh, I probably won't.  It's silly but fandom is the silliest thing I know.

I'm pretty much in the same boat.  I do think NBA and MLB draw more casual fans regardless of the name than NHL though.  However, it appears most MLB teams are named after their respective city, not state.   JBS, you mentioned the Pilots as a name.  I was kind of thinking on the same lines...Carolina Flight.   It would be a tribute to both Michael Jordan and First in Flight.  Be the first team in the MLB to have Jordan branded jerseys.  Have luxury suites and be part of the Flight Club.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I'm pretty much in the same boat.  I do think NBA and MLB draw more casual fans regardless of the name than NHL though.  However, it appears most MLB teams are named after their respective city, not state.   JBS, you mentioned the Pilots as a name.  I was kind of thinking on the same lines...Carolina Flight.   It would be a tribute to both Michael Jordan and First in Flight.  Be the first team in the MLB to have Jordan branded jerseys.  Have luxury suites and be part of the Flight Club.  

I prefer Pilots but Aviators and Flight are also good options.  Colorado, Texas, Minnesota and Arizona are all named after states.  NY, NY and Washington all fall into a unique category.  Marlins were previously Florida.  I don't think it matters (most NFL teams are named after cities also and it hasn't hurt the Patriots in either fan support or success).  

6 hours ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Rays new stadium proposal for 30,000 seats (smallest in MLB)
https://floridadailypost.com/rays-propose-900m-stadium-tampa-translucent-roof/

The site is about 14.5 acres, curiosity got to me and the same site maps the current Knights stadium at 9 acres

image.png.b64a482a57f3dd94624da98afe5e56b5.png 

Tear down the Circa apartments and cut off Graham between 3rd and MLK, and you should have enough space. Give it some kind of connectivity to Gateway, and now you have a modern MLB stadium. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Third Strike said:

Tear down the Circa apartments and cut off Graham between 3rd and MLK, and you should have enough space. Give it some kind of connectivity to Gateway, and now you have a modern MLB stadium. 

lol The Circa apartments are truly awful.

• Like 4

On 7/8/2018 at 9:31 PM, Crucial_Infra said:

Other names with local/regional flare: 

Kudzu 

Cackalacks

Copperheads 

Demolition lol  

Or maybe just name it the Charlotte Culture and then there'd be no more arguments about whether we had it. Charlotte History could work, too. 

Haha - I love these names!  Funny.  I vote for The Carolina Hogs!  

What about the Carolina Pirates because of the history of black beard and others which would mean Pittsburgh loses their team? Pittsburgh has the third lowest attendance. 

Also, fun fact: the knights average just a hair under 9k attendance per game and the Marlins (who are dead last in attendance) only average 9.4k.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

Do major league teams let minor league teams use their facilities? What would happen to the Knights if/when a major league baseball team comes here?

When the day comes (MLB), I say we turn the knights stadium into the biggest Top Golf in the Southeast. I'm only somewhat joking, but imagine that backdrop while golfing at the range. Now that's the kind of attraction that would pull in a ton of ppl on a daily basis. 

8 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

May have been already addressed by this group - if it has then Please excuse my ignorance but where could a MLB Stadium be built in charlotte?  What's currently most feasible?  

Its been discussed pretty heavily.  A lot of people seem to think that it could go where the current Knight's stadium is located.  I don't see how that could fit/work, but it would immediately be a top tier ballpark in the Nation if it could happen.  Another suggestion has been that it could go where Carolina Pipe sits currently, if they decide to relocate.   You could put it our in the Carowinds, Fort Mill area (Yuck).  If the Panthers and Tepper DO decide to pack up and move to SC, you could knock over BoFA stadium and have a baseball park there.  My favorite idea is to put it where the Brookhill housing development is currently.  Those need to be demolished ASAP and I think a Ballpark would fit there perfectly - its close to the highway (and may incentivize the building of ramps onto 77N from Remount and onto Remount from 77S, which is needed), walking distance to the light rail, and the area around Tryon, Dunavant, and Distribution could be redeveloped into an engaging space for nightlife/bars/restaurants.  It could also lead to a revamp of Southside Park across the street.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Phillydog said:

Hummm...1st Ward....:tw_innocent:

Unfortunately, that's one place that it most certainly couldn't go, that is if we wanted a proper skyline view facing the outfield. Diamonds are almost always set up with home plate facing east so hitters don't have the late afternoon sun in their eyes. Therefore the park needs to stay on the western side of uptown. 

Edited by Crucial_Infra