Charlotte MLB Team Speculation

ncguy06

7 hours ago, DownEast said:

Bristol is the most popular track in NASCAR. No way it moves to Nashville. Nashville may get a race, but it won't be at Bristol's expense. Perhaps Martinsville or Dover.

They are not proposing moving but adding 4 races and pumping like 65 million into the track at the Nashville Fairgrounds.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

They are not proposing moving but adding 4 races and pumping like 65 million into the track at the Nashville Fairgrounds.

Ahh yes the drivers would love to add another 4 races to the schedule on top of moving the all star race and losing their back to back weeks at home...

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 4:22 PM, Blue_Devil said:

Tepper would get involved most likely. Building his Charlotte Sports Empire. 

I don't think there is any chance Tepper puts  1/3+ of his wealth into Major League sports.  A baseball team and stadium would be $2+ billion.  That would put him around $5 billion and still needs to build a new NFL/MLS stadium which is going to cost another billion.   NFL is a no-brainer investment.  MLS is a "low cost" gamble that fits into his current and future stadium.  MLB would be a huge gamble in a small market.   Could he afford it? Sure.  Is he wiling to put that much money into three different sports? Highly unlikely IMHO.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

I don't think there is any chance Tepper puts  1/3+ of his wealth into Major League sports.  A baseball team and stadium would be $2+ billion.  That would put him around $5 billion and still needs to build a new NFL/MLS stadium which is going to cost another billion.   NFL is a no-brainer investment.  MLS is a "low cost" gamble that fits into his current and future stadium.  MLB would be a huge gamble in a small market.   Could he afford it? Sure.  Is he wiling to put that much money into three different sports? Highly unlikely IMHO.

I mean, any major league team is a great investment, baseball is no different. Tepper has stated he wants to build an entertainment district. 80 home games in a urban environment could help with that.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, atlrvr said:

OPM - other people's money - tax dollars

Tepper will buy the Ray's - I've been making this crazy accurate statement for a few years.  Stadium will go where current Panther stadium is.  

Sounds great but I think it's a long-shot at best.  Tepper is intensely focused on establishing  his current teams and then securing the Land Parcel for a New Stadium.  Taxpayer funding to go towards that end (New Stadium Construction) isn't a given at all much less that He (Tepper) would pay for a MLB Stadium and whatever Expansion or Purchase price of the Devil Rays would be 10+ years from now.  Just too many moving parts for my little mind to comprehend.  I am more worried of being struck by lightning than this scenario playing out - just far fetched IMHO....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Sounds great but I think it's a long-shot at best.  Tepper is intensely focused on establishing  his current teams and then securing the Land Parcel for a New Stadium.  Taxpayer funding to go towards that end (New Stadium Construction) isn't a given at all much less that He (Tepper) would pay for a MLB Stadium and whatever Expansion or Purchase price of the Devil Rays would be 10+ years from now.  Just too many moving parts for my little mind to comprehend.  I am more worried of being struck by lightning than this scenario playing out - just far fetched IMHO....

I thought Tepper already bought the pipe site. 

• 1 year later...

Not sure about ownership but there are a lot of good candidate cities for MLB expansion:

Charlotte, Nashville, New Orleans, Louisville, Austin, San Antonio, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Indianapolis, OK City, Raleigh.

If they expand by 2 I could see Las Vegas and Charlotte or Nashville.

• Like 4

How much would a MLB team cost these days?  they are numerous people that may could afford to do it in the Carolinas in Charlotte.  I dont think Mr Tepper would be one of them as he has his hands full with NFL and MLS. 

San Antonio/Austin  and Charlotte would be my 2 picks.  Las Vegas metro  has less people than Charlotte but within 100 miles of Charlotte there is a much greater number as Vegas has deserts in every direction.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

How much would a MLB team cost these days?

I've seen a few reports suggesting the expansion fee would be $2B to $2.5B. I saw an article just a few days ago, but can't find it. There were several outlets that reported the $2B+ fee last year.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2021/04/27/rob-manfred-mlb-expansion-fee-over-2-billion

I can't think of anyone besides Tepper with deep Charlotte ties with that kind of discretionary money.  My guess is that it would have to be a group of investors. The Smith family could potentially lead a group, but we know how their MLS bid worked out (it was a little haphazard). I hate to say it, but I think some of the cities like Portland and Nashville that have already put together investor groups have a leg up for expansion.

My uninformed opinion is that Charlotte's better chance at landing an MLB team would be through a relocation with an existing owner, but Oakland has been tied to Las Vegas, and Tampa Bay has been tied to Montreal.  I  have also heard some factions of the family that owns the Orioles wants to move to Nashville.

Despite the naysayers, I would love an MLB team in Charlotte. My guess is that some of the other cities have a better chance because there are already connections and interested investors in those cities. Hopefully I am wrong!

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 4

There are several tech billionaires in the Triangle area (EPIC Games CEO, SAS execs) and a couple in Charleston (including the person who lost out to Tepper on Panthers)  but not sure they have an interest in a team.   As Mr Tepper proves does not have to be a local person. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, KJHburg said:

There are several tech billionaires in the Triangle area (EPIC Games CEO, SAS execs) and a couple in Charleston (including the person who lost out to Tepper on Panthers)  but not sure they have an interest in a team.   As Mr Tepper proves does not have to be a local person. 

Agreed, my assumption on the Triangle tech billionaires is that they could push for Raleigh over Charlotte. I neglected to mention that point about Raleigh, but I agree with the sentiment.

Tepper was not local, but the team was already here.  I just wonder if the more advanced investor groups have the upper hand.

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/15/2022 at 6:29 PM, Bolt said:

Wake County DC United country.   Never will be Charlotte territory.

Well, tell that to the Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville DMA television stations with news operations. They report on the Charlotte FC MLS games especially Disney-owned, ABC11, WTVD. 

• Like 2