Charlotte MLB Team Speculation

ncguy06

Vegas and Portland are 1 and 2 for a franchise relo, and both have organized efforts to win a team. CLT isn't getting a team anytime soon, especially with this commissioner. And since free agency, baseball has only expanded when it has faced legal pressure, like it did in Seattle and Tampa Bay. The additional teams were there to keep an even number of franchises, which the league needs to maintain its everyday schedule.

Demographically, CLT is about 10 yrs away, especially when you consider the important 2 million person MSA milestone. But baseball is a monopoly, so it doesn't always respond to market demands.

I don't think MLB will ever put a team in Vegas as long as gambling is legal in the state, and I don't exactly see them repealing it to get a team. The NBA might be the only league with the cajones to do it, seeing that they're staging their 2007 all-star game there.

I definitely see Portland as the next baseball city, with a good likelihood one of the Florida teams moves there. CLT's a good ways off. I don't know how much support MLB would get down here. Atlanta doesn't even sell out its playoff games.

Edited by SmellyCat

^ Good find.

thats for the 70 mile penetration though. For a nightly basis, its probably more accurate to use 35 miles. Not many people an hour or more away are going to make the trip every night. And Portland is doing much better in that statistic.

I would rather have a good strong fan base for the Panthers and Bobcats then to have another pro team come in. Lets see how we do with a minor league team in south end :) first...

how have pro sports done in Raleigh so far? Does NHL get any support?

Yes, so far we have supported the Hurricanes. After every game I check the attendence for the Canes and they are right on target with the rest of the league. (12 to 20 thousand per game) Week nights 12 to 15 k for the canes. Weekend nights around 18K.

So far the Canes are out drawing the NJ Devils

It helps that the Hurricanes are 9-2-1 on the season...and in first place :D

I have heard from a reliable source that Hugh McColl is working on a plan to get a ML Baseball team here in Charlotte in the next 5 to 7 years without much, if any, assistance from the City. I understand that its the last big thing he is working on "for" Charlotte.

Not related to Hugh... I have also heard rumors that the Hurricanes are going to relocate to Charlotte.

I have heard from a reliable source that Hugh McColl is working on a plan to get a ML Baseball team here in Charlotte in the next 5 to 7 years without much, if any, assistance from the City. I understand that its the last big thing he is working on "for" Charlotte.

That would be brilliant. He has the ability to form a coalition that could bring it together.

I care less about the Hurricanes.

What is the smallest metro area with all 4 major sports? I'm guessing Denver, but I don't really know. I think we need a solid MSA number of 2.5-3 Million before we start dreaming of all four.

Charlotte isn't close to being ready for another sports team. I would hate for a team to come prematurely, and then lose it because they can't make money.

As far as getting the 'Canes, I was under the impression that the sightlines for hockey are pretty bad in the new arena, and I couldn't imagine us building a new arena for hockey. Whereever the Knights go, the stadium should be planned for expansion for MLB. I understand the additional cost, but I feel pretty certain that things like planning for outfield seats could be done for little money.

I can't imagine any reason why the Hurricanes would leave RDU for CLT. Hockey isn't doing that well and to throw away the fan base they have built up over the years in the Triangle for an unknown in Charlotte, (which already has the NBA, NFL & NASCAR) just doesn't make economic or business sense. Plus we have no venue for them to play in with the destruction of the Charlotte Coliseum. Don't except any support, let me repeat that again, any support, from the State on them making this move. Remember the State is one of the partners that brought the NHL to Raleigh in the first place. (who do you think paid to build the RBC arena?) That rumor is pretty far fetched if you ask me.

MLB is in a similar situation and I don't see them locating a team in Charlotte unless great great deals of tax money is thrown at them as was done with the NBA.

During the lockout, a lot of talk came up about contracting the NHL.

The first teams to get mentioned were the southern teams (except Tampa Bay, who won the 2004 Stanley Cup). From a financial point of view, the Hurricanes were least likely to go, since they have one of the best, if not best, arena leases in the NHL.

That being said, the Panthers seemed to be convinced the NHL was coming to charlotte during a visit my dad and I made while they were signing people up for luxury boxes and personal seat licences. Of course they were convinved the Hornets were staying, and the NHL was on the way, so their sources weren't that good.

During the NHL's last round of expansion, Raleigh was the front runner for an expansion team, and a bid was led by NASCAR team owner Felix Sabatas (sp?). He later dropped the bid -- partly due to politics, but there were rumors the NHL wanted to use the chance to move a team in an underperforming market (the Whalers).

Charlotte already "stole" the AFL Carolina Cobras, which partly happened when the Hurricanes started getting a lot of fan supoort post-Cup finals appearance, and filled the hole left by the Hornets leaving.

The city does have the "benefit" of not having a high profile college sports program; UNCC does well, but is not in a "power conference" and does not have a football team due to one wealthy donor.

This leaves the market to professional sports, covered by two major league teams, and four minor league teams -- Cobras, Knights, Checkers, and the Eagles (current United Soccer Leagues division 2 champions)

The triangle has college sports covered, but only major league hockey and AAA minor league baseball, and no motorsports events.

Hurricanes moving to Charlotte from Raleigh??

HAH.

I'm sorry, but that is just about one of the most unlogical things that I've ever heard. Typically when a team is moved from one location to another, it moves somewhere that is geographically not close to the previous place. The Hurricanes have not a single reason to leave Raleigh. The fan base has grown steadily over the years. They have one of the nicest arenas in the NHL and for that matter, it was built specifically for hockey, unlike the new Uptown Charlotte arena which was primarily built for basketball.

They have well rooted themselves as far as team members and staff in the community in and around Raleigh. Beside from everything else, the NHL has already promised Raleigh that we would recieve the NHL All-Star game after they saw the interest go through the roof during the Hurricane's Stanley Cup run. We've already recieved the NHL Draft here in Raleigh, just before the lockout, which was part of that deal. The only thing that is holding Raleigh back from the NHL All-Star game is the lack of 4 or 5 Star resort hotel. But that is soon to change with the construction of the 42-Story Glen-Tree mixed use tower adjacent to Crabtree Valley Mall, which is only a 5 to 8 minute drive up one single road from the RBC Center. Glen-Tree will feature a Westin Hotel. There is also construction of either a 4 or 5 star hotel in the new North Hills area of Raleigh is is about a 15 minute drive from the Arena.

Basically, the franchise would be out of its mind to move from the area its in right now. I highly doubt the players, management, and other staff, some of which have lived in the Raleigh/Cary area since the team was playing in Greensboro, would appreciate moving to a city that is only 2 and a half hours away from where they are now.

The Hurricanes have not a single reason to leave Raleigh. The fan base has grown steadily over the years.

So far this year, the Hurricanes are 22nd out of 30 NHL teams in home attendance. Prior years:

2003-04 29th

2002-03 19th

2001-02 24th

2000-01 29th

Edited by SmellyCat

During the lockout, a lot of talk came up about contracting the NHL.

The first teams to get mentioned were the southern teams (except Tampa Bay, who won the 2004 Stanley Cup). From a financial point of view, the Hurricanes were least likely to go, since they have one of the best, if not best, arena leases in the NHL.

That being said, the Panthers seemed to be convinced the NHL was coming to charlotte during a visit my dad and I made while they were signing people up for luxury boxes and personal seat licences. Of course they were convinved the Hornets were staying, and the NHL was on the way, so their sources weren't that good.

During the NHL's last round of expansion, Raleigh was the front runner for an expansion team, and a bid was led by NASCAR team owner Felix Sabatas (sp?). He later dropped the bid -- partly due to politics, but there were rumors the NHL wanted to use the chance to move a team in an underperforming market (the Whalers).

Charlotte already "stole" the AFL Carolina Cobras, which partly happened when the Hurricanes started getting a lot of fan supoort post-Cup finals appearance, and filled the hole left by the Hornets leaving.

The city does have the "benefit" of not having a high profile college sports program; UNCC does well, but is not in a "power conference" and does not have a football team due to one wealthy donor.

This leaves the market to professional sports, covered by two major league teams, and four minor league teams -- Cobras, Knights, Checkers, and the Eagles (current United Soccer Leagues division 2 champions)

The triangle has college sports covered, but only major league hockey and AAA minor league baseball, and no motorsports events.

ACTUALLY...Raleigh did not receive an expansion team. The Hartford Whalers relocated to Raleigh due to financial struggles in Connecticut thus creating the newly renamed Hurricanes.

Someone else said that the RBC Center was built just for the Hurricanes and that isn't entirely true. Plans were well under way to build the RBC in order to replace Reynolds Coliseum (NC State) in the late 80s. Once the Hurricanes decided to move down, they coughed up some more money and the place was redesigned a bit and the rest is history. It was never built solely for hockey first nor was the Charlotte Arena built just for basketball first. Yes, these two sports dominate their respective homes but that is why they are called "arenas"...they can flex and change shape to cater to any type of event. IMO the RBC Center looks like a warehouse in a field that sorta jumps out from nowhere right off those idiotic roads nearby.

AND lastly, who really cares about hockey that much? Not to offend! Hmmm, Panthers v. Hurricanes? You get the point.

ACTUALLY...Raleigh did not receive an expansion team. The Hartford Whalers relocated to Raleigh due to financial struggles in Connecticut thus creating the newly renamed Hurricanes.

Someone else said that the RBC Center was built just for the Hurricanes and that isn't entirely true. Plans were well under way to build the RBC in order to replace Reynolds Coliseum (NC State) in the late 80s. Once the Hurricanes decided to move down, they coughed up some more money and the place was redesigned a bit and the rest is history. It was never built solely for hockey first nor was the Charlotte Arena built just for basketball first. Yes, these two sports dominate their respective homes but that is why they are called "arenas"...they can flex and change shape to cater to any type of event. IMO the RBC Center looks like a warehouse in a field that sorta jumps out from nowhere right off those idiotic roads nearby.

AND lastly, who really cares about hockey that much? Not to offend! Hmmm, Panthers v. Hurricanes? You get the point.

Slightly true but we won..1 to nil...

So far the Canes are out drawing the NJ Devils

The lockout really screwed things up plus the retirement of Scott Stevens which took away stability and leadership for the team. We had 12 good years of hockey and Clemmonson is really starting to make me mad on his goaltending :angry:

Anyways on the baseball comment, Charlotte could be a canadate hosting MLB but in my mind, would not be the best choice at this time at least. I would look into larger southern cities like Nashville or Jacksonville(FL) before Charlotte.

It would of been nice if the Triad got baseball because i remember seeing that on the news quite often about how Minnesota expressed interest in Greensboro. This was also around the same time when the Hurricanes were playing in the Gboro Colloseum as well.

heh, Jacksonville and Nashville are not larger cities...

If there is any substance to the McColl rumor we are surely on the list for a new team. We were top 3 for the Expos relocation but that may have been before the bobcats came to town. The general consensus seems to be within ten years, that seems to be appropriate. The numbers will look better because the urbanized areas will have connected and there will be growth along with that.

I just hope they don't call it Carolina ____. Call it Charlotte ___.

Edited by moonshield

Maybe I could be wrong on metro population but I think Jacksonville would do better for baseball than Charlotte.

Nothing personal against Jacksonville, but after the attendance debacles in South Florida with the Marlins and in Tampa with the Devil Rays, I will bet my bottom dollar that Florida will not be getting another MLB team for a very long time.