Charlotte MLB Team Speculation

ncguy06

I heard it was between us, portland, and vegas... i hope they come here.... but then again, i guess i hope everything comes here... lol

Though Id prefer the team in Charlotte, I couldnt imagine it happening. Las Vegas is growing like mad and has no prof teams at all. I think we would get it if it was just between us and Portland though. Oh well. Seems like this baseball thing comes around every other year lately.

I think it's really exciting that they're even considering Charlotte, but I'm definitely in agreement that we are several years away from being ready.

I have one key question though...assuming they did move here, where on earth would the team play until a baseball stadium is built? I don't think BofA Stadium could be retrofitted for temporary baseball use, plus I'm sure the Panthers would have something to say about it even if they could.

Edited by SmellyCat

I'm back.........I would like to comment on the Vegas bid. I think Vegas looks at major league sports more as a novelty. I think baseball would start out hot here then the attendance would cool down. There is just too much other stuff going on here to concentrate on a long 81 game season.

Plus most people are transplants who are loyal to their hometown teams. Not saying going to a pro game wouldn't be cool but I think if Portland doesn't get it then even I would get upset. I agree with some other replies Portland is more ready. Oh yeah it is too hot. Imagine 90 degree weather at night not to mention 110-115 degree heat during the day. Does anyone know how many games the Diamondbacks play during the day. I know Phoenix has about the same climate as Vegas.

"It would be fairly cool if Charlotte could put things in order to get another team, but I agree that we aren't quite ready. We need to stabilize our basketball team, and get our football to win the Superbowl, before we go throwing money at an MLB team that might cannibalize the money spent on the others."

Screw our basketball team. Let's offer to trade them to Las Vegas for the Marlins. :)

"It would be fairly cool if Charlotte could put things in order to get another team, but I agree that we aren't quite ready. We need to stabilize our basketball team, and get our football to win the Superbowl, before we go throwing money at an MLB team that might cannibalize the money spent on the others."

Screw our basketball team. Let's offer to trade them to Las Vegas for the Marlins. :)

:D Just as long as somebody pays off the bonds. God help us, we're up to our eyeballs in debt.

I have one key question though...assuming they did move here, where on earth would the team play until a baseball stadium is built? I don't think BofA Stadium could be retrofitted for temporary baseball use, plus I'm sure the Panthers would have something to say about it even if they could.

Maybe they could play at one of the colleges. That is what the Panthers did until they built Ericson Stadium. (now known as BofA stadium) They played their first season at the stadium at Clemson. They were supposed to have played at USC, but they nickel and dimed the team so much, the Panthers said "F*U*" and went to a very delighted Clemson.

Maybe there is a university around here with a large enough place for them to play for the first season.

Maybe they could play at one of the colleges. That is what the Panthers did until they built Ericson Stadium. (now known as BofA stadium) They played their first season at the stadium at Clemson. They were supposed to have played at USC, but they nickel and dimed the team so much, the Panthers said "F*U*" and went to a very delighted Clemson.

Maybe there is a university around here with a large enough place for them to play for the first season.

Which school do you think would have a large enough baseball stadium to handle major league baseball in NC?

Edited by Seabreeze

Which school do you think would have a large enough baseball stadium to handle major league baseball in NC?

it would seem to me that knights castle in fort mill would be as big or bigger than anything around. i do not know if they could share because of scheduling. does anyone here know of a stadium that houses 2 teams during the season? of course wouldn't this be a problem @ a college as well... don't their seasons overlap?

Some cities have minor league teams that share stadiums with colleges, but no MLB teams that I can think of. If Charlotte did get the Marlins, then the Knights will certainly placed elsewhere. Knights Stadium was designed to be upgraded to major league seating capacity, so it will probably be the temporary home.

it would seem to me that knights castle in fort mill would be as big or bigger than anything around. i do not know if they could share because of scheduling. does anyone here know of a stadium that houses 2 teams during the season? of course wouldn't this be a problem @ a college as well... don't their seasons overlap?

It can be done. The Mets and Yankees shared Shea Stadium in 1974 and 1975 while Yankee Stadium was being renovated. Incredibly the Giants and Jets also both played there in '75, somehow making the place home to 4 teams in one year.

Uh no. Florida should never be allowed to have another baseball team. The way the fans are treating the Marlins is just terrible. The only time the Marlins fans(or should I say, bandwagon fans) pack the house is during the playoffs. During the regular season you can drop a pin in that place and hear it fall. The Marlins have a great organization, just no fan support at all.

I'm not calling all Marlins fans bandwagon fans, the real Marlins fans Know who I am talking about.

The Marlins have nobody to blame but themselves. Attendence was great until the first fire sale back in 1997. It started picking back up slowly after the recent World Series win (over 20k a game last season), but I'd expect it to go right down the tubes with this new AA team they'll put on the field next season.

On top of this they want millions of hard earned public money to build them a private stadium. Although they need one (because they're getting kicked out of Dolphin Stadium), they ought to pony up some funds as well. Public money in FLorida would be better put to use building parks, fixing roads and adding mass transit.

The Marlins have nobody to blame but themselves. Attendence was great until the first fire sale back in 1997. It started picking back up slowly after the recent World Series win (over 20k a game last season), but I'd expect it to go right down the tubes with this new AA team they'll put on the field next season.

On top of this they want millions of hard earned public money to build them a private stadium. Although they need one (because they're getting kicked out of Dolphin Stadium), they ought to pony up some funds as well. Public money in FLorida would be better put to use building parks, fixing roads and adding mass transit.

yeah, this brings me to the big question. would charlotte want these guys (team owners) invading our city? frankly, i think we had our fill with george shinn. i wouldn't do business with the marlins unless the cards were stacked heavily in charlottes favor... that just isn't happening.

yeah, this brings me to the big question. would charlotte want these guys (team owners) invading our city? frankly, i think we had our fill with george shinn. i wouldn't do business with the marlins unless the cards were stacked heavily in charlottes favor... that just isn't happening.

Indeed. I think we should wait to have Hugh McColl or another pro Charlotte business leader to bring in a team. I heard a rumor on this site that McColl is working to bring a team.

• 4 weeks later...

ACTUALLY...Raleigh did not receive an expansion team. The Hartford Whalers relocated to Raleigh due to financial struggles in Connecticut thus creating the newly renamed Hurricanes.

Someone else said that the RBC Center was built just for the Hurricanes and that isn't entirely true. Plans were well under way to build the RBC in order to replace Reynolds Coliseum (NC State) in the late 80s. Once the Hurricanes decided to move down, they coughed up some more money and the place was redesigned a bit and the rest is history. It was never built solely for hockey first nor was the Charlotte Arena built just for basketball first. Yes, these two sports dominate their respective homes but that is why they are called "arenas"...they can flex and change shape to cater to any type of event. IMO the RBC Center looks like a warehouse in a field that sorta jumps out from nowhere right off those idiotic roads nearby.

AND lastly, who really cares about hockey that much? Not to offend! Hmmm, Panthers v. Hurricanes? You get the point.

The Canes put up about $40M in the arena so they put a pretty penny in and don't think they will be leaving anytime soon. After the lock-out, they lost many of their corporate season ticket holders and many of those were 42 game packages and center ice seats. The ones that cost $120 to $140 a game, but my guess they will back next year. Most people who walk-up don

Panthers and football are a different animal since football is the top US sport. But just remember the days when they were 1 and 16 and more fans of the other team would come to see the game than Panther fans.....

Put a 1-15 in ANY NFL city and see how many of their fans actually go through the turnstiles. There had to be about 30,000 empty seats in Atlanta on Sunday, and that was for an 8-7 Falcons team, not 1-15. :blink:

Canes fans in Raleigh are also fairweather. In 2003-04, as the euphoria of the trip to the 2002 Stanley Cup finals was wearing off, attendance dropped 23% from the previous year. Losing has a funny way of doing that.

Put a 1-15 in ANY NFL city and see how many of their fans actually go through the turnstiles. There had to be about 30,000 empty seats in Atlanta on Sunday, and that was for an 8-7 Falcons team, not 1-15. :blink:

Canes fans in Raleigh are also fairweather. In 2003-04, as the euphoria of the trip to the 2002 Stanley Cup finals was wearing off, attendance dropped 23% from the previous year. Losing has a funny way of doing that.

No doubt. Then add a lockout after a bad season and your season ticket and especially your corporate base tickets go south real quick. But it all will work out. Charlotte will have NBA and NFL while Raleigh/Triangle will have NHL. Not sure when and where MLB will end up but my guess it is 10-15 years away if ever.

BTW, do people in Charlotte get canes games on Fox Sports South ?