Favorite Restaurants in Charleston

Charleston native

Since I saw this subject in the Tallahassee thread, I thought to start the same one here. For anyone who has lived in, currently lives in, or has visited our beloved Charleston, what are your favorite restaurants? The city specializes in locally owned restaurants, but you can also list any chains or franchises. Please state the street the restaurant is located on, if you can remember. This might help people who want to try out these places. (Like me! :) )

Here are just a few places that I love to go in my hometown in no particular order:

A.W. Shucks - Market Street

Bocci's - Church Street

Tommy Condon's Pub (great place for beer, but also a great seafood restaurant!) - Church Street

Hyman's Seafood (touristy, but still great place) - Meeting Street

Penachio's - SC 61, Ashley River Road

Miyabi's - Citadel Haven Drive (behind West Ashley Toyota)

The Mustard Seed - SC 700, Maybank Highway

Manny's (good Greek-American cuisine) - Old Town Road (Northbridge Shopping Center)

Athens (excellent Greek) - SC 700, Maybank Highway

California Dreaming - Ablemarle Pointe, the big fort overlooking the Ashley River :thumbsup:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of my favorites are:

1) Anson: Great seafood, pricey, but my favorite of the upscale restaurants I've tried (Anson St., Downtown)

2) Bowen's Island: This is a truly unique place, a crumbling shack-like restaurant hidden away on an island between James Island and Folly Beach. They serve all-you-can-eat oysters that they bring to your table by the shovel full. Also, the view of the sun set is among the best you can find.

3) Mellow Mushroom: My favorite pizza place. The dough is some of the best I've had outside of NYC (King St., downtown)

4) California Dreaming: The food is a cut above TGIF or Applebee's, and has the same casual, family-friendly feel, but what I really love about this place is the view over the Ashley River

5) Mondo's Delite: I just found this place, but it's the sort of good, casual Italian place I've been looking for in Charleston for a long time. (Folly Rd., James Island)

6) Five Loaves Cafe: This cafe is inside Millenium Music at the corner of Calhoun and King. It's a great place to have a sandwich and salad, and browse the books afterwards. The deserts are made by Kaminsky Deli, and are excellent too. There is also a Five Loaves on Spring St. that serves dinner entrees.

7) Moe's Crosstown Tavern: Best bar food in town. Also, it's a great place to have a beer or watch the game. (Rutledge Ave.)

8) The Mustard Seed: Dollar for dollar, maybe the best food in town. They make gourmet dishes at very reasonable prices. However, I think they accomplish this by using recent culinary school grads as their chefs, and sometimes their dishes can be inconsistent. Still, it's one of my favorites. (Maybank Hwy, James Island; also there are branches in Summerville and Mt. Pleasant)

I agree with you on the Mustard Seed. Sometimes their dishes are inconsistent. Don't forget, they also have a branch of the restaurant located in the MUSC Student Wellness Center. They had fantastic lunches while I worked there!

I might try out some of those other places you mentioned like Bowens Island.

I agree with you on the Mustard Seed. Sometimes their dishes are inconsistent. Don't forget, they also have a branch of the restaurant located in the MUSC Student Wellness Center. They had fantastic lunches while I worked there!

I might try out some of those other places you mentioned like Bowens Island.

I didn't know about the branch located at MUSC. That's actually the closest to my house. I'll have to try it some time. Thanks.

I like Jestine's Kitchen. Yum.

I have trouble remembering the name of this place, but its an Italian place on King and John. Its pretty good.

Others are

King St Grill

Southend Brewery

Andolini's

Sharky's

Sticky Fingers (a Charleston original!)

La Hacienda is pretty decent Mexican food. its not particularly original, but its necessary to have these establishments as they are great.

The Mertiage is great. I was dissapointed to learn that the one in Columbia closed.

The Meritage never really impressed me, for some reason. The food they had in the Cola one was average at best. The Chas one on East Bay seems to be a very popular hangout, but I don't understand what makes it so "good".

Andolini's on the other hand, is fantastic pizza! Pizzas are made with homemade ingredients...all fresh! Mellow Mushroom is excellent as well.

Here are some other favorites of mine:

T-Bonz - Great steaks and "American" cuisine...3 locations in Charleston: DT (Market St), West Ashley (Old Towne Road, next to Manny's!), and Mt. Pleasant (Johnnie Dodds Blvd)

Kaminsky's Cafe - Excellent place for coffee and desserts with 3 locations; 2 are in or next to the T-Bonz places DT and in Mt. P, the 3rd location is in Millineum Music, DT, on the corner of King and Calhoun Streets

High Cotton - Fantastic elegant Southern specialties, East Bay St

Cypress - Very fancy Southern and seafood dishes; I took my wife there the night I proposed, East Bay St

Starfish Grill - Folly Beach Pier, some of the best beach views and great seafood

Its good because its a unique concept, and I have always enjoyed the food that I get. Sometimes I get a dish I don't like, but its just the one dish, not a whole meal.

I've always thought that the Mellow Mushroom thing was overrated. They aren't bad, but they aren't great either.

Sullivan's is another good one.

There was a restaurant on IOP that I recall being good, though I have not been in many many years. I think it was called the Sea Biscuit.

^ Spartan, could you be referring to the one on IOP called The Boathouse? I do not remember the Sea Biscuit, but The Boathouse has outstanding seafood and great service. It is located on Palm Blvd., SC 703, just past the Sullivan's Island/IOP bridge on the left. There is another one located DT on East Bay Street. IMO, some of the best seafood in the city!

Here are two more that I remembered:

Magnolia's - Fancy, great Southern dishes with elegance; East Bay St

Blossom's - Next door to Magnolia's, Mediterranean dishes with Southern accents; East Bay St

I like Kyotos (Miyabis for the new people lol)

Theres a fairly new place called Savannahs (this place is elegantly delicious. With traditional lowcountry style food)

And for Take-out my number one place of all time is Wali's on Spring and Rutledge. Ive always loved Ms Walis Red Rice and fish.

I like Kyotos (Miyabis for the new people lol)

Theres a fairly new place called Savannahs (this place is elegantly delicious. With traditional lowcountry style food)...

Is Savannah's that restaurant overlooking a creek off of Savannah Hwy, west of the Ashley, heading towards Hollywood? I have been wondering for quite sometime if it was a good place, because I never heard of anyone going there. What is their cuisine like? Is it real fancy with different types of dishes you can't figure out, or is it somewhat simple?

I'm going to have to take my wife there sometime, now that I've heard some good things about it.

Yeah thats it. I only went there once, and just like I said it was a buffet of traditional lowcountry food. Quite elegant, but not a bunch of fancy dishes, just good old lowcountry dinner dishes, at least when I was there. I need to go again because the food was DELICIOUS.

In response to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse coming to Charleston, MikesLogic also listed some steak eateries currently located in the city. I have yet to explore these places, but I will be planning trips for these places soon.

...Some steakhouses local to Charleston are:

Oak Steakhouse - http://www.oaksteakhouserestaurant.com/ on 17 Broad Street in the French Quarter

Charleston Chops

Mo Sussman's Steakhouse

Village Chop House - http://www.bigguynet.com/chophouse.html on Shem Creek

Yeah thats it. I only went there once, and just like I said it was a buffet of traditional lowcountry food. Quite elegant, but not a bunch of fancy dishes, just good old lowcountry dinner dishes, at least when I was there. I need to go again because the food was DELICIOUS.

I just checked their menu online, and my wife and I are excited about checking it out. The food choices sound excellent, and the prices are reasonable; similar to Outback or Carrabba's prices. Thanks again for the tip! Here's the website:

Savannah's Restaurant and Banquet Center

• 2 weeks later...

Places I love to eat at their are

Mustard Seed

Sullivans

Sea Biscuit

Hymans

and I used to go to the Bull & finch alot on free wing night when they exsisted.

also love Andolini's

Never been there, but have heard great things about the Charleston Place Grill, that is what it is called right?

Boathouse at Breech Inlet is good...IOP. I'm related to the sous chef there.

Hi Danno, welcome to the UP! I mentioned the Boathouse in an earlier post on this forum. IMO, the place is one of the best places in Chas for seafood. And the location on Breech Inlet is tremendous, especially with the sunsets on the Intercoastal Waterway and marshes. Give your relative (the chef) my compliments...tell him/her to keep up the excellent work! :thumbsup:

Archived