Favorite Restaurants in Charleston

Charleston native

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tablrock, how is the Ocean Room? Is it expensive? Is the food worth the price? I've been meaning to go to Kiawah and check it out.

You have mentioned some other fantastic ones that have been rated 4 Diamonds by AAA such as Peninsula Grill, Charleston Grill, and McCrady's. All excellent places, from what I've heard. I also completely forgot about Circa 1886 and Anson. Anson has great seafood too, according to others I've talked to.

Tablrock, how is the Ocean Room? Is it expensive? Is the food worth the price? I've been meaning to go to Kiawah and check it out.

You have mentioned some other fantastic ones that have been rated 4 Diamonds by AAA such as Peninsula Grill, Charleston Grill, and McCrady's. All excellent places, from what I've heard. I also completely forgot about Circa 1886 and Anson. Anson has great seafood too, according to others I've talked to.

yes ocean room is a bit pricey but well worth it. the food makes u want to hire the chef for your own beck and call. the atomsphere is elegant w/o being stuffy, kinda makes u want to move in. although sometimes i have to admit i on occasion i like stuffy and stodgy. the kind of places where the waitstaff is snotty. man i miss perdita's. a couple of other places worth checking out r tristan and cypress. is grill 225 still open?

As far as I know, Grill 225 is open at the Market Pavilion Hotel. They have an excellent menu. Here is the link to the restaurant's website.

Tristan is another great choice. They closed shop for a little while, but I read that they reopened under new management, but still kept some of their excellent chefs. What and where was Perdita's?

As far as I know, Grill 225 is open at the Market Pavilion Hotel. They have an excellent menu. Here is the link to the restaurant's website.

Tristan is another great choice. They closed shop for a little while, but I read that they reopened under new management, but still kept some of their excellent chefs. What and where was Perdita's?

oh geez now your gonna make me sound old. perdita's was the restaurant that once occupied the space where carolina's is. it was actually considered one of the nations fine dining institutions. it opened in the mid 1950's when most of downtown, yes even sob was consisdered a slum, and no i was not born yet. perdita's closed in the mid 80's. it is the mother of charleston's fine dining scene. picture it, red velvet walls, crystal chandeliers, etc. a little slice of vegas in downtown chuck town.

ru de jean... french style cuisine... wow.

peninsula grill (in the planter's inn at the market). pricey... but you are eating off real silver

try 'em out... you'll be glad you did.

Hmmm...if I take my wife to Chas for Valentine's Day, Peninsula Grill would be something to consider. :thumbsup:

I have a suggestion for great Mexican in Chas, even though it is a chain. Salsarita's in Citadel Mall. It's like in how the food is prepared at Moe's, but seems to be less Tex Mex and more authentic Mexican. The decor is less Bohemian or artsy than Moe's and more Mexican as well.

I ate over at Gullahs Restaurant on US 17 Northbound in Mt Pleasant (just above Hungry Neck Rd) and that was a VERY good place! Their buffet is $8 i believe and the BBQ they prepared over there was i thought one of the best ive ever had. A restaurant review id like to share with everyone since i had a great dining experience at Gullahs for lunch today.

Gullahs is indeed excellent. It is like a secret gem located in a strip mall. The food there surprised me, especially for the price. If you want down-home cooking, that is a great place to go.

Has anybody tried Bessinger's BBQ on Savannah Highway? This place is a Chas tradition, and it's been around longer than me! They recently renovated the interior and exterior, and now the restaurant looks better than ever, but still has the Southern BBQ establishment theme.

My favorites based on combined quality and value:

Il Cortile Rel Rei on King St. - wonderful atmosphere, especially if you can get a table in the courtyard, and reasonably priced and good Italian food. Like stepping into Europe for a bit.

Mondo's Delite on Folly Road - a nice little Italian restaurant in a boring strip mall.

Soul Vegetarian South on Rivers in N. Charleston - somewhat rough part of town, excellent vegetarian (vegan) food and the best collard greens ever.

Red Orchids in W. Ashley - best Chinese food hands down and a great vibe with good jazz (NOT smooth jazz) piped in. The owner Tony told me he was going for a post war Hong Kong bistro.

Santi's - Real Mexican food at the corner of Meeting and Morrison. The owners are from Guadalajara. Not the best or most scenic part of town but worth going to.

Madra Rua - Irish pub in the redeveloping North Charleston downtown strip (E. Montague Avenue). Go there for the beer and the atmosphere.

Park Circle Grill - corner of Spruill and E. Montague. A bit of a pioneer as far as location. Food has slipped a bit as they have simplified the menu but still good overall.

Amuse in W. Ashley - my favorite Tapas place, much better than Meritage.

Bookstore Cafe on King - THE place for breakfast. Be prepared to wait on Saturday and Sunday unless you get there between church crowds and waves of sobering up college kids. Waaay better than overrated Hominy Grill.

Red Orchids in W. Ashley - best Chinese food hands down and a great vibe with good jazz (NOT smooth jazz) piped in. The owner Tony told me he was going for a post war Hong Kong bistro.

My mother so far has not found a good chinese restaurant in the Chas. area. I have two questions about this place:

1. Whats the address?

2. Is it a buffet? Even if its not, i believe Quality over quanitity first.

1. Whats the address?

It is in the shopping center in W. Ashley with Publix, Big Lots, etc.

Red Orchids Info at Restaurant DB

That would be Ashley Landing Shopping Center where Sam Rittenberg Blvd (SC &) and Old Towne Road (SC 171) join together. If you're coming from any area other than West Ashley, take I-26 to Cosgrove Avenue heading to Folly Beach (this becomes Sam Rittenberg when you go over Northbridge into West Ashley). At the 2nd stoplight, the highway becomes a fork with the left becoming Old Towne and the right staying as Sam Rittenberg. Either road will take you right by the shopping center.

There are many good eating places in the Charleston area, including some good Thai and other international restaurants. I *really* wish we had an Ethiopian restaurant in town. Whenever I am out of town on business I search for Ethiopian.

I also wish we had something like the Laughing Seed restaurant in Asheville. All vegetarian, tons of choices, everything I have tried has been first rate.

Gullahs is indeed excellent. It is like a secret gem located in a strip mall. The food there surprised me, especially for the price. If you want down-home cooking, that is a great place to go.

Has anybody tried Bessinger's BBQ on Savannah Highway? This place is a Chas tradition, and it's been around longer than me! They recently renovated the interior and exterior, and now the restaurant looks better than ever, but still has the Southern BBQ establishment theme.

Is that place not the same as Melvins? Well, same basic concept anyway? I know that Melvin Bessinger cut his ties with Maurice because... well, you know.

Wali's is my favorite take out place. Ive been going to Walis since the 80's, and the food is still, just as good. Her famous fish sandwich, bean pie's (delicious), sweet potato pie's, red rice, whiting, the hoppin john, the cabbage, crab cake, etc, etc.....I can go on and on. Walis, Dave's, S & S Cafeteria, and Im from the old school Charleston, so I have to add Quincy's. These are some of my all time favorites places in Charleston. Kyoto's, which is now Miyabi's is another one. And also, even though I havent been there in years, the Quality Inn cafeteria at the corner of Calhoun and Meeting Street. My grandmother used to take me to eat there as a little boy. The food was delicious.

Interesting experience at Bella Napoli in W. Ashley. It is what Nathan's Deli becomes at night - an Italian restaurant by the guy that used to own La Fontana. The ambiance is concrete block dumpy, I mean really bad, as this is the building at the corner of 61 and Wallenburg where Reeve's used to be. However the food was pretty good and the price is seriously right. I got the eggplant parmagiana for $8.95 and my wife got cheese manicotti for the same price if I remember correctly. For that $8.95 you get nice hot crunchy on the outside soft in the middle bread from Saffron bakery, a side salad, a hearty portion of food, AND a complementary glass of merlot. Not the place to take a first date unless you are a poor college student, but a good deal nonetheless. :)

If im with friends.. the hell with the asthethics of the restaurant, i go for the food because im spending money 99 out of 100 times! Sounds like a place ill check out next time im in Chuck.

Given that if this was a date, whole another ball game. Gotta find the nicest place or the nearest applebees will do fine.

Dates are expensive, especially if they want wine.

Archived