Favorite Restaurants in Charleston

Charleston native

Interesting experience at Bella Napoli in W. Ashley. It is what Nathan's Deli becomes at night - an Italian restaurant by the guy that used to own La Fontana. The ambiance is concrete block dumpy, I mean really bad, as this is the building at the corner of 61 and Wallenburg where Reeve's used to be. However the food was pretty good and the price is seriously right. I got the eggplant parmagiana for $8.95 and my wife got cheese manicotti for the same price if I remember correctly. For that $8.95 you get nice hot crunchy on the outside soft in the middle bread from Saffron bakery, a side salad, a hearty portion of food, AND a complementary glass of merlot. Not the place to take a first date unless you are a poor college student, but a good deal nonetheless. :)

La Fontana was fantastic and authentic Italian in one of the larger strip malls on Sam Rittenberg. DHEC rated it a C grade a couple of years ago, and it closed soon after. :cry:

I will have to try Bella Napoli, though I do hope they renovate the exterior of the building. Reeve's was just podunk-looking.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My top 3 while living there:

1- Sermet's Corner (Wentworth and King) - exquisite gourmet experience at a bargain.

2- Five Loaves Cafe (Cannon and Coming--strange locale but WORTH IT. 1 block off upper King.) Call ahead for limited hours.

3- Juanita Greenberg's (King near John) - funky decor and the best dang burritos, nachos, quesadillas

One more, a casual chain:

4- Wild Wings - the best for when "just casual" is needed. Try Chernobyl if you can take the heat!

:

4- Wild Wings - the best for when "just casual" is needed. Try Chernobyl if you can take the heat!

I think its Tuesday, you can go to the Wild Wing's market location and you can get like 40-50 wings or something for $5. Great place to get wings during happy hour too :alc:

I think its Tuesday, you can go to the Wild Wing's market location and you can get like 40-50 wings or something for $5. Great place to get wings during happy hour too :alc:

Jerseyman, I was a regular every Wednesday night for their "2-fer" night when living in Charleston. The Manager had a special table for me even! So, it is Wednesday evening that you can get 24 wings for the price of 12, etc. at the Market Street Wild Wings. Can't wait until the Vista location opens here--woo-hoo!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Some excellent news for more restauranteurs in my hometown in the article link below. A new downtown restaurant and wine bar called Social opened Tuesday on East Bay St., in the former Chas Chops space. Also, Juanita Greenberg's Nacho Royale is re-opening today after an extensive renovation. West of the Ashley, Juan's Mexicali restaurant recently opened at 2026 Savannah Highway. The menu includes traditional Mexican dishes such as burritos and tacos and "California-style" items such as shrimp scampi quesadillas. There's also a hot sauce bar. Lastly, Noisy Oyster has opened its 3rd location in the area up in Summerville.

The choices and quality of restaurants just keep getting better! :thumbsup:

Restaurant, wine bar opens on East Bay

My list of favs:

Hyman's Seafood (as prev noted Touristy but gotta love it)

Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. - not authentic or the best seafood but I love the location and atmosphere

Mellow Mushroom - all I can say is yummy!

The Kickin' Chicken - Great sandwiches

The Wreck (In Mt. Pleasant) Now thats some good REAL seafood

Noisy Oyster (Formerly known as Cappy's Seafood Restaurant) I used to love going there and getting the Steam Pot.

Vickery's Bar and Grill on Shem Creek (I love their Shrimp and Grits)

RB's Seafood on Shem Creek

Charleston Crab House

High Cotton

The King Street Grille

Tommy Condon's Pub and Seafood

Sticky Fingers - Not the greatest BBQ you might find at some shack out in the country but pretty darn good!

Archived