GTA Bus Service in Easley

GSP Tiger

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed, it is great news. Not far behind is some form of light speed transit. I know Clemson and Greenville can connect to each other via Amtrak, but how about something local that can stop in Easley, Liberty, Central, Clemson, Seneca, and Westminister? Pickens (via Easley) and Walhalla (via Seneca) can be accessed by spur lines. My thoughts seem to be ahead of their time.

The CATbus will have to find some way to link up with ICAR in the future. It is my understanding that they are also planning to expand their service. One problem with a rail connection to Greenville from Clemson is that there is not enough traffic or density to warrant it.

Having service 6 days a year for a town of 12-15k does not seem practical to me. The problem with Easley is that its a suburb to start with, so you already have a strong auto oriented mindset. Yes bus service to Greenville might make sense, as it is likely that people actually need to get there on a regular basis. Now, wheth you mean bus or rail, a town like Easley will simply not generate enough demand for a connection to Clemson. A service solely for football games hardly seems worth the investment and planning. I just don't see that many people using the bus to travel 20 mins up the road.

Rail service could potentially work as part of a greater 'Upstate Rail' connection so that you pull Greenville and Spartanburg into the mix.

I filled out a survey this week for a transportation study that some group is doing at Clemson. It discussed many things that directly affect students such as how you get to campus, convienient parking... etc. But it also asked how people felt about a commuter rail running from Greenville to Clemson. And if you'd use it and what not. But I thought it was quite interesting. And of course, I answered them all positively :D

Would Easley be able support some bus service with a population of 20,000-25,000?

Not on its own. I think the conneciton to Greenville could work though.

The Clemson Transportation people did that study, which I found here: http://workgroups.clemson.edu/AAH_0511_TRA...emsontravel.htm

The text doesn't contrast with the background so you should highlight it to read. It says that they will update it as they go.

Archived