Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GSP Tiger

Food Lion's Plans for Upstate Stores

Food Lion has announced plans to build at these sites:

Mauldin - Bridges and Holland Roads

Lyman - US 29 @ Old Spartanburg Road

Roebuck - US 221 @ SC 215

Plans also call for stores in Anderson, Greenville, Piedmont and Seneca. I have not heard where exactly these sites are. I assume they are in areas underserved by current supermarkets.

As for store concepts, Food Lion may build some locations as Bottom Dollar and/or Bloom.

I think the Mauldin location may be a Bloom store. Bloom's locations are usually in high income, upscale neighborhoods. The intersection of Bridges and Holland Roads is just the fit.

I doubt it's a Bloom - Bloom seems to be stagnant and not expanding at all.

That is not good.

From a connection I have, Food Lion is preparing to add a few hundred pharmacies into their stores within the next few years. He was unsure what the exact number was, but it was atleast 200. I would expect some of the new upstate stores to have some.

These new stores are supposedly the start of a new concept called 'bottom dollar.' They are low-service stores where you have the boxes that you ahve to unpack etc, but you get better prices because of it (sort of like Aldi I guess).

I was not impressed with Aldi that much. The next closest competitor for Bottom Dollar is Sav-a-Lot. They are both similar, and Bottom Dollar would be a step above with Food Lion's resources.